Why should I download Linux?

Originally posted by Dazzla

I doubt that linux will hve the ability to install an application my dragging one file to the applications folder any time soon...

Um - linux can do that with the kernel JACK! I run the .rpm file and can install an app - even the Kernel. What is the fixation with dragging and dropping?? It is not the most efficient way of doing anything - for one I have to be able to see both windows on the desktop. I have to make a mouse movement to move something from one spot to another. Is it not easier to just exec the file? with either a click, or from command line?

Where is this coming from that it is so hard to install applications on linux?? Most software titles that I have seen, are available in a .rpm This allows for quick install, quick upgrade of the package, etc.. etc..

--BudMan

Originally posted by Dazzla

OS X is the best implementation of UNIX for the desktop. Full stop. I doubt that linux will hve the ability to install an application my dragging one file to the applications folder any time soon...

(emphasis mine)

Linux was not designed from the ground up to be desktop-oriented. OS X was. People have tried to make Linux more desktop-friendly, but it isn't going tobeat a multi-million dollar company who has that as their main goal. And linux COULD have drag and drop application installation. In fact, I just did it with blender. But thatg requires all sortds of icky things like static linking in most cases and i'd rather have things in logical places. Not wherever someone decides to drag them.

OS X is nice, and I would love to have a mac just to run it, but it and Linux are designed for different audiences.

Originally posted by BudMan

Um - linux can do that with the kernel JACK! I run the .rpm file and can install an app - even the Kernel. What is the fixation with dragging and dropping?? It is not the most efficient way of doing anything - for one I have to be able to see both windows on the desktop. I have to make a mouse movement to move something from one spot to another. Is it not easier to just exec the file? with either a click, or from command line?

Where is this coming from that it is so hard to install applications on linux?? Most software titles that I have seen, are available in a .rpm This allows for quick install, quick upgrade of the package, etc.. etc..

--BudMan

yeah but with linux u have to download ten thousands dependency files before u can install ur app...

Originally posted by elw3irdo

go for it....i had linux awhile ago and alls i did was play the game with tux goin downhill on his belly :D

ahh that was great :D

i played that game too. pretty cool :)

Originally posted by Rudy

yeah but with linux u have to download ten thousands dependency files before u can install ur app...

NOooo...not anymore. Maybe 5 years ago, that was the case, but most distros come with the neccessary libs for most software.

Originally posted by Morfious

I keep hearing from people that Linux is great...but why download it? It doesnt run the same programs as Windows and seems like its much harder to understand. It also doesnt run alot of games and wont run alot of new games that are about out come out. I am mostly a gamer so what would Linux do for me?

Well, the main reason to try Linux is to expand your knowledge. I have had Mandrake installed in a triple boot scenario with 98se & 2000 for over a year now. I am no Linux guru by any stretch of the imagination and have gotten frustrated at times, but I have enjoyed learning what I have. I do not have the time to devote to Linux that I would like, but I do spend a couple hours a week with it and like it more and more all the time. Will it ever completely replace Windows for me??? Probably not, at least not in the foreseeable future. But Linux will always be on my desktop.

Originally posted by Rudy

Okay, so to run a program written for Gnome I need the gnome-libs. Just like if you want to run a program written in VB, you need the VB runtime files. What's the diff?

Why should I download Linux?

Personally I'de only download it if you have a use for it, Linux is an excellent server and has powerful programming tools but as a desktop OS it has quite a way to go. Expect to spend ages updating drivers to get things like 3D to work and installing sometimes dozens of packages just to get one program working.

It is good to learn if you're going to be involved in IT at university and if you do learn it get certified with a Red Hat certification as it's not much use just saying you know linux.

IMO it isn't much fun, sometimes it can take ages to get things working and it isn't the friendliest of OSs. Also, distributions like Mandrake are easy to install but full of beta software so watch out for the software not behaving as it should 100% of the time.

Just try Red Hat LIMBO or Mandrake 8.2 and you wouldn believe what they have to offer. If they say to use Slackware, don*t listen to that! I tried Slackware and even I found it a bit too hard to use! :)

Originally posted by Webgraph

Just try Red Hat LIMBO or Mandrake 8.2 and you wouldn believe what they have to offer. If they say to use Slackware, don*t listen to that! I tried Slackware and even I found it a bit too hard to use! :)

I say try any distribution he wants. Each has it's own little quirks but the only way to know for sure what one suits you is to try them.

Linux is very stable and never crashed on me. Windows has crashed in my face thousands of times. With Linux you don't get blue screens and illegal operation messages causing your programs to close when you are in the middle of something.

Also, you get to choose your interface with Linux.

My first distro was Mandrake and it was easy to figure out. I like it.

Originally posted by karmakillernz

I say try any distribution he wants. Each has it's own little quirks but the only way to know for sure what one suits you is to try them.

Yeah, you get to choose ;). Slackware is excelent, and Mandrake is excelent.

However, I would pick Mandrake because it is better for Linux newbies. You can always get Slackware later.

Originally posted by directuniversal

Linux is very stable and never crashed on me. Windows has crashed in my face thousands of times. With Linux you don't get blue screens and illegal operation messages causing your programs to close when you are in the middle of something.

see...thats what annoys me about Linux. Everyone i ask about it say oh its soo stable and doesnt crash etc... but the reality is XP for me only ever crashes on the rare occasion. True, Linux doesnt crash for me, but that may be because I cant get anything to work first

:dead: :p

At least I can use XKill to close any applications that freeze or use the Kill App in Gnome. I think I only had to intentionally restart a few times.

So basically, if I'm mostly a gamer, Linux wouldn't be good for me? I'm into all the latest games, Warcraft 3, America's Army, UT2k3, etc.... Aren't there emulators of some kind that will let me run these on linux? Do they work seamlessly or will there be a substantial performance drop?

For mainly games you should stick to Windows. I've got SOME games to run on Linux quite well, but unless they're native linux games they wont run as well as they should. :)

Originally posted by karmakillernz

For mainly games you should stick to Windows. I've got SOME games to run on Linux quite well, but unless they're native linux games they wont run as well as they should. :)

I noticed when I read reviews on WineX, a Windows Emulator that has DirectX 8 bundled with it. Framerates were slower when trying to emulate Windows games.

Originally posted by Webgraph

I noticed when I read reviews on WineX, a Windows Emulator that has DirectX 8 bundled with it. Framerates were slower when trying to emulate Windows games.

Wine Is Not an Emulator :p

But yea... they're working on it and considering what Wine does, it's pretty amazing. :)