A Friendly Reminder

Some people have said they are disappointed with Beta 1. I thought I'd post a desktop of XP Beta 1 and XP Beta 2 just to remind people how much an OS can change.

whistler_beta1_0001.gif

winxp_2462_002.gif

That's funny. I've never seen that before. Vista Beta 2 will look completely different than Beta 1, because all the next-gen features will be integrated in it.

The beta 1 start menu looks kinda better....

586292973[/snapback]

Looks too Win 95 for my taste, although it is pretty good.

You do have to wonder why some people sign up for betas yet expect a final product. Maybe MS should be more thorough in who they allow to get hold of them and a fair amount of the kiddybitching will stop. Why the hell are they allowing 13yr olds to beta test software anyway? :D

MS Bug Report : OMG!!!11!!!11!!! Dis windo$e B3t4 Suxxorz. I Tr13d 2 Downloads torretzors fr0m p1r47eb4yz0rs 4nd my w1-f1 c0nnect10n k3p7 dr0pp1ng out(zors.) I can7 play n0 gamezikors e17h3r(z0rz.)

Yeah, I think people expected to download Beta 1 and have their minds blown. People have to remember the long process of making an OS used by 95% of the world.

You do have to wonder why some people sign up for betas yet expect a final product.  Maybe MS should be more thorough in who they allow to get hold of them and a fair amount of the kiddybitching will stop.  Why the hell are they allowing 13yr olds to beta test software anyway? :D

MS Bug Report : OMG!!!11!!!11!!!  Dis windo$e B3t4 Suxxorz.  I Tr13d 2 Downloads torretzors fr0m p1r47eb4yz0rs 4nd my w1-f1 c0nnect10n k3p7 dr0pp1ng out(zors.)  I can7 play n0 gamezikors e17h3r(z0rz.)

586293045[/snapback]

I think you're exactly right.

You weren't talking about me, right? :crazy:

Hmm. Everything seems the same in XP Beta 1 and 2 except that Beta 2 comes with Windows Messenger, as does the final. Remember, looks aren't everything.

MS Bug Report : OMG!!!11!!!11!!!  Dis windo$e B3t4 Suxxorz.  I Tr13d 2 Downloads torretzors fr0m p1r47eb4yz0rs 4nd my w1-f1 c0nnect10n k3p7 dr0pp1ng out(zors.)  I can7 play n0 gamezikors e17h3r(z0rz.)

HAHA!! Most hilarious think I've read this week.

Hmm. Everything seems the same in XP Beta 1 and Beta 2 except that Bet 2 comes with Windows Messenger, as does the final. Remember, looks aren't everything.

586293097[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure a little more happened between the two builds. Also, to the end-user, looks are pretty much all they care about. Get a random kid off the street, put a Windows 95 and Windows XP machine in front of them and see which one he picks.

See, I prefer the skin from XP Beta 1 (I used the imitation theme "Watercolour Ergonomic" that comes with StyleXP for over a year). My prediction is that the Beta 2 theme will suck, and the release theme will be similar, and then someone will re-release the Beta 1 theme officially, and I will be happy again. <3

I'm pretty sure a little more happened between the two builds.  Also, to the end-user, looks are pretty much all they care about.  Get a random kid off the street, put a Windows 95 and Windows XP machine in front of them and see which one he picks.

586293116[/snapback]

What if he decides to pick Windows XP because he knows its a hell of a lot better than Windows 95, not just in graphics?

What if he decides to pick Windows XP because he knows its a hell of a lot better than Windows 95, not just in graphics?

586320477[/snapback]

I'm sure if you picked him off the streets he wouldn't know much about computers.

See, I prefer the skin from XP Beta 1 (I used the imitation theme "Watercolour Ergonomic" that comes with StyleXP for over a year). My prediction is that the Beta 2 theme will suck, and the release theme will be similar, and then someone will re-release the Beta 1 theme officially, and I will be happy again. <3

586320065[/snapback]

I'm sure MS learned from their mistakes with Luna. I predict a sleek, professional-looking theme by the time Beta 2 or the RCs roll around.

Yeah but look at how long it took them to get to beta 1 I am sure people would be expecting something wayyy "cool". I mean xp was only 2600 somebuilds but longhorn went to 40xx and then to 5xxx thats about 41xx builds. With the delays Microsoft made people expect more. They though hey if its been delayed for a year they must be putting in 100 more features. Then more and more delays followed.

Yep, this ought to be a real eye-opener for you folks that haven't beta tested a Microsoft OS before. Maybe it's an eye-opener for some that have :)

I absolutely have to point out this classic Thurrott quote though, from Windows XP Road to Gold:

As the Windows 2000 beta wore down in late 1999 (see my Windows 2000 Road to Gold for details), one glaring fact was clear: Microsoft would never again take three years between Windows versions. Customers expected features to be delivered more quickly than that, and markets simply change too quickly to keep a product in development for that long.

Given that logic, we'd be waiting for Blackcomb or something now..

Customers expected features to be delivered more quickly than that, and markets simply change too quickly to keep a product in development for that long.

586321168[/snapback]

Personally, I'd rather have an OS that stable, tried and true. I think many end-users would pay for an OS that would very stable without all the features. Vista is promising, however, I'd take a tweaked and stable XP anyday. For now anyway. :)