Final questions before purchasing Samsung LN-R268W

Martog    70

I've made up my mind on which TV to replace my Sony 27" WEGA that is 3 years old, and for the money, it looks like the Samsung LN-R268W 26" is the best bet for what I want, and I have seen the displays at ABC Warehoue and Best Buy, and just loved them.

Now, looking at places to buy them from, Amazon.com seems to be offering some of the lowest prices, especially when using J&R Music and Computer World, being I believe $1390 roughly. Not too bad, especially with $40 shipping.

Now, first question. Would I really need an extended warrenty? Amazon.com offers a 3 year extended for $149. I haven't had problems with my Sony, but I know after the 1 year is up, I'll be moving, and you never know what could happen. :pinch: Would it be beneficial to get one?

Second, I have a media center computer which does have DVI output, and I know by looking at the sets, they only have VGA input. What would be a good DVI to HDMI cable that is NOT $100? I think that's just a bit too much for a cable like that, I know I've seen some Philips on eBay for around $40 or so...It would only have to be 6' at the most.

That's really it, I just need these answered before I plop down the money for the TV. :)

f0rbez    0

lol, sorry I can't help you. But I was thinking about getting a new 27" or 32" CRT, possibly Sony. What did you think of your old one? Sony is the highest priced but do you think it would be worth it for me to get?

bangbang023    31

Ok, let me try to cover as much as I can this early in the morning. First off, good choice of a set. As for the extended service, ask about the dead pixel policy. I know BB has a zero dead pixel policy. If Amazon has the same, definitely get it. Its better to be safe than sorry. As for the dvi to hdmi cable, check out the AR or Belkin brand ones. Even I can admit that, while they look nice and all, the Monster digital cables are simply way overpriced for the small benefits you get.

Martog    70
lol, sorry I can't help you. But I was thinking about getting a new 27" or 32" CRT, possibly Sony. What did you think of your old one? Sony is the highest priced but do you think it would be worth it for me to get?

586301252[/snapback]

I think it is a great looking set for CRT and standard TV, it also has component inputs (480i) mind you, and I did notice a difference when using my Xbox or Sony DVD Recorder/VCR on it.

Ok, let me try to cover as much as I can this early in the morning. First off, good choice of a set. As for the extended service, ask about the dead pixel policy. I know BB has a zero dead pixel policy. If Amazon has the same, definitely get it. Its better to be safe than sorry. As for the dvi to hdmi cable, check out the AR or Belkin brand ones. Even I can admit that, while they look nice and all, the Monster digital cables are simply way overpriced for the small benefits you get.

586302207[/snapback]

Extended warrenty at Amazon

The extended warrenty is not through Amazon, but some other place. They have a phone number, I'll give them a call to see what their dead pixel policy is. I've read some of the threads on here before deciding on looking at TV's. I know the Dell's are cheaper, but they just don't have the specifications to compare to the Samsung, and after seeing one in the store, I decided on it. I will be using an Xbox, Xbox 360 and plan on getting HD cable as well, so I'll put this TV to use. I will also check into the cables and see what's out there, I don't think Monster cables are going to make much of a difference with a small TV like that.

bangbang023    31
I will also check into the cables and see what's out there, I don't think Monster cables are going to make much of a difference with a small TV like that.

586305620[/snapback]

The digital cables won't, no, but the analog stuff may give you a little bit extra, though you can also go with the AR Pro Series line which costs half as much. It doesn't look as nice, but the quality of the cabling is very similar.

Martog    70

I just called this NEW company, the guy said that any pixel is out, it will be serviced if I wish. Now that's what I call service, only $150 for it. I think I am going to get the 8ft Belkin PureAV HDMI to DVI as I know if I get the 4ft, it will not be long enough, LOL. Computer sits on the floor, TV sits on a desk. I can try a 3ft cable to see if it would reach up wards, doubt it though, I would rather be safe. $1366 current Amazon.com price...

Martog    70

:whistle:

newtv.jpg

bangbang023    31

Please don't block out your address. I envy you and need to know where you live so I can rob you :p

Congrats on the purchase, man. You are going to be very happy.

Martog    70
Please don't block out your address. I envy you and need to know where you live so I can rob you :p

Congrats on the purchase, man. You are going to be very happy.

586319495[/snapback]

I could put Bill Gate's address there, you'd never know the difference, except he has a lot better toys.. :whistle:

I know I'll be happy with it, I don't think though that BB or ABC Warehouse was doing full justice with it when showing it off, my friend that was along agreed. He can't wait to see the set either. My Xbox will be one of the first things to be hooked up, and I'll pop in a 720p game (Probably Steel Battalion: Line of Contact...game looks great in 720p).

Now I'll have to call Time Warner soon and arrange for a Digital Cable packet with HD...

bangbang023    31

Oh man, you have Time Warner? Have they activated the DVI yet?

Martog    70

586319829[/snapback]

Not sure, I haven't had a use for Digital Cable yet, I'll have to find out when I call.

SonComet    0

586319829[/snapback]

I hear that a few people can get hdmi running on random SA8300s. It doesn't work on every unit though, supposedly it's luck of the draw or something. But I haven't tested it so I dunno, heh. On my SA3250HD the dvi out works but can't switch display modes (ie can't switch between 1080i mode back to 480i mode without switching the channel and turning the box off and then on again). This lack of hdmi/dvi support from TW is annoying, huh?

Martog    70

I am so glad I bought this TV, just arrived today and all I can say is WOW! I hooked up my Xbox right away and popped in Halo 2, it is a world of a difference, especially over the Dell 17" LCD HDTV I was using to play it on. I'll need to pop in Steel Battalion: Line of Contact as it supports 720p, I bet that looks soooo good. Now to also hook up my PC to it. :)

bangbang023    31

Congrats man. I'm definitely jealous.

Daviesbad04    0

586302207[/snapback]

Agreed (About the Monster digital cables) :yes:

Excellent buy by the way, I am also very jealous :ninja:

Pink Floyd    15

you guys are pretty lucky to have network to broadcast full digital with dvi

Our only tv provider barely broadcast 2-3 channels + 5-6 other english channels from usa

that doesn't make much for the price :/

Martog    70

Hmmm, I've been playing around with this for an hour or so now. 720P on Line of Contact is amazing. I bought the Belkin HDMI to DVI, and I hooked it up to my media center PC which has a GeForce 6600 (normal, not GT) in it, and I cannot get the picture to look clear at all. I hooked it up to VGA and looks great. Perhaps I should save the HDMI to DVI cable if Time Warner has the DVI enabled on their boxes?

Also, what would be a good component video switcher? I am going to end up needing one with having an Xbox, Xbox 360 (when it comes out), DVD Player, PS2, and cable box if for some reason it does not want to support DVI. I'll probably get the switcher next month, as I'll just leave my Xbox and DVD player hooked into component for now, the rest in Composite or Svideo (don't have digi cable yet either, but I do have the PS2 cables)

bangbang023    31

Yeah, run the PC off the vga. That TV specifically has the vga input, so I guess it's better designed for it.

As for a component switcher:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...953738?v=glance

It's kind of a small market and they only go up in price from there. That one seems to be pretty good, though.

Martog    70

I'll keep that in mind when I order more stuff next month. I really was hoping to find something that woudl be better than that Pelican that I saw out there for under $100, it only had 3 component as well, it had ethernet (don't need) and fiber optic, so if the JVC is good, its no loss for component as it has the same.

bangbang023    31
I'll keep that in mind when I order more stuff next month. I really was hoping to find something that woudl be better than that Pelican that I saw out there for under $100, it only had 3 component as well, it had ethernet (don't need) and fiber optic, so if the JVC is good, its no loss for component as it has the same.

586359001[/snapback]

I can't remember where I heard it, but I believe the Pelican one got some bad reviews. Something about the tested unit giving lines in the picture.