Poll: What Windows XP is worse at compared to Windows 98?

I heard some people say Windows XP sucks, because reasons like Drivers don't work (Have you updated to the Latest drivers yet?), or that MORE it's more hackable than 98 was, or etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Windows XP is much better coded than windows 98, the driver support is also getting much better. and the best part of all of winXP is that it is all 32 bit code, it doesn't have all of the 16bit code win 95,98, and ME had. So fewwer blue screens of death:cheeky:

And XP more hackable ??

Hum.. it's based on the NT kernel, which is better for security than any 4.x windows...

Maybe it's more "CUSTOMIZABLE", yeah ! but not hackable..

Nobody better lay a finger on my NTFS crypted partition!

Windows XP is worse than 98 when it comes to crashing!

What's the deal?

I've had XP since its release and it still hasn't crashed on me.

I could get 98 to crash at the drop of a hat. Bloody innovations in technology..

XP has been rock soild for me since its was relased last year.....not one Blue Screen Of Death yet to date..........that plus it hase driver to almost everthing I've ever installed on the machine......Execpt My Augidy that is

Originally posted by Cowpie

Now why would you be against the WPA? ;)

:) I actually own two legal copies of Windows XP, but I'm currently only using one. All I have to say is Academic version...

I know it WPA hasn't bugged me yet, cause I use a laptop and do little hardware upgrades. But WPA must be a hassle for all those desktop users out there.

People need to be reminded Windows XP is currently Build 2600 and only now reached Service Pack One. Windows 98 already has been revised (Second Edition), has two service packs and STILL, after 4years, needs updates.

Don't pick on XP when its still an infant.

Resources: Um. Windows 98 regularly needs to reboot. Since XP is based on the NT family, rarely needs to reboot except for critical updates and software installs. More than likely, your reason for low resources is applications like America Online or Office XP. Office has ALWAYS been a resource hog. Don't blame the OS for bad coding from an Application.

Refresh Rates: I'm using a mere GeForce 2 Ti and the framerate I get is beautiful. Unless 1 frame is going to make you cream your shorts, who cares? Most games now run in the 50 to the hundreds in frame rate count. Play the game and ignore the numbers.

sorry to say this but if someone comes to tell me that winXP is crap, that person is either in drugs or a lunatic.

we dont talk about performance, where XP is 48% faster then win98 and 21% then win2K. but we are talking about stability and flexibility.

i had alot of clients moaning and crying... "ahhhhh my pc dont work anymore, damn XP ruined all"...

well, 99.99% of the time the problem is located somewhere between the monitor and the user's seat. people dont even bother to run a compatibility test before they upgrade. and if they upgrade, they moan again that the drivers are not automatically updated...

first of all, if you think you will be ok to upgrade from a crappy win98 version, that used to crash every 24hrs, think again.

RULE NO.1: ALWAYS DO A CLEAN INSTALL. make sure ofcourse you have the latest BIOS version, that's why God gave us Internet. is damn easy to make a flush diskette and run it.

RULE NO. 2: IN WIN98(ME), RUN THE COMPATIBILITY TEST. you will see rightaway what drivers you need and grab the win2K ones, again through Internet (dont you love it?).

M$ is known to sell buggy software and use the customers solve the bugs, when they report them. so is normal to have some updates like SP1, etc. i assure you SP1 will not knock on the old problems related to the dll familly, but onto "CORP" pirated copies that snoop on the ftp Internet servers. trust me that's their first goal on the SP1 list. ofcourse all illigal keys are history...

so, in resume, XP is a damn good piece of software compared to win98 and the catastrofic ME.

XP is great for n00bs..easy to use, stable and looks goood

but there are driver probs..if MS were smart y didnt they make it so Win9x drivers would work wit XP!?!?

i herd it does have some security glitches to but hope to be fixed in SP1 ;)

Originally posted by DigitalDJ

but there are driver probs.. if MS were smart y didnt they make it so Win9x drivers would work wit XP!?!?

i herd it does have some security glitches to but hope to be fixed in SP1 ;)

digi, i think i installed over 1,000 XP copies for users, at home. never had a prob with drivers. i remember old compaqs used to have alot of probs and the BIOS updates always fix it.

technically is impossible to make win98 drivers run on XP. architecture issues. is the same way you install win31 drivers to win98.

security? hehe, M$ is the king of security issues... dont we all remember the 685 IIS patches? :)

Originally posted by creamhackered

Maybe in the fact that its not too compatible with older games but other than that XP rocks :)

work with all the games i tried, some require a lil bit of thinking but im sure most ppl here can figure it out (like Civilization 2, if u install out of the box, the game will work but none of the videos...why? because Civ2 installs some Indeo codec but its a 16bit one...work fine on 9X but not NT so all u need to do is download a 32bit one.....)

Stuff like the old Star Wars Tie Fighter games just DOESNT run, other cool games like that dont run thats its only disadvantage :(

Originally posted by Vidar

Refresh Rates: I'm using a mere GeForce 2 Ti and the framerate I get is beautiful. Unless 1 frame is going to make you cream your shorts, who cares? Most games now run in the 50 to the hundreds in frame rate count. Play the game and ignore the numbers.

I still can't beleive this people don't understand this. Refresh rate has nothing to do with framerates. Its the frequency the monitor is refreshed. Lower it is more pronounced the flicker. Higher it is the more stable the picture. Check out the post made by wireles316

Refresh Rates: I'm using a mere GeForce 2 Ti and the framerate I get is beautiful. Unless 1 frame is going to make you cream your shorts, who cares? Most games now run in the 50 to the hundreds in frame rate count. Play the game and ignore the numbers

The guy was talking about the Refresh rate problem with XP and Nvidia cards, so that includes u Mr with the Geforce 2 and that all ur games are running in 60Hz, whereas in Win 98 it didn't have that probem. Fortunately people have brought out programs to fix it, but i guess ur still only in 60Hz as u can't tell the difference between frame rates and refresh rates, Yazoo explains the difference.

I heard some people say Windows XP sucks, because reasons like Drivers don't work (Have you updated to the Latest drivers yet?), or that MORE it's more hackable than 98 was, or etc.

Well I too have heard a lot about a lot, but eXPerience is the key :p

I think you should try it for yourself instead of hearing it from others, my friends discouraged me as they were Anti-MS but when I went to xp, its great! I have a mid-aged computer and no driver issues yet! Thats why we have the internet too.

So anyone who hasn't tried XP before, or used a pirated version, quit j00r complaining! And I only know of very few who have tried XP and other versions and said that XP does suck, so yes its legitimate. But I know of a LOT of people who have treid XP and haven't gone back!

And how is 98 less hackable? I remember running Cain on my computer to get my dad's login password. Really secure hey, even the kids at our school tried cracking passwords on the 9X network.

Originally posted by Radon

first of all, if you think you will be ok to upgrade from a crappy win98 version, that used to crash every 24hrs, think again.

umm...i did that,my 98 use to crash at least every other day and i upgraded to XP and haven't had a single problem in the 5 months i've been using it.

and whoever said the WPA is a problem for desktop users is wrong too, not everybody re-installs XP every other week for ****s and giggles.