Sidebar in Vista ?

The sidebar was removed a number of builds back, but rumours have it that its going to make a return for Beta 2, with a more fluid feel.

I heard that it was disable but was still in beta1. You would have to twist it and unlock it to get it up and running again. But I only heard that once and don't remember I heard it.

Yeah and it's supposed to be more like Tiger's Dashboard

586320885[/snapback]

Im not sure if I am going to like the sidebar, it could end up taking a hefty chunk off the side of the screen...

Instead of having e.g. weather & time there, I'd rather have time in my system tray consuming like 50x20 pixels or so, and a weather applet on my desktop. There's no way I'd, when running in 1280x1024, have it consume like 150x1024 space. Buddy lists? That's for my IM to show.

Most of the 3rd party implementations of smartbars for XP I've seen give you the option to have a program open across the smartbar (similar to unticking the option of "Keep Tasbar on top of other windows" for the taskbar) or it simply slides off screen and back on again when you move you mouse towards it again (again same as "Auto Hide" for the taskbar). Thus the only screen estate lost is when on the desktop with slightly less space for icons - although if anyone actually needs that space for icons should really tidy up their desktop in the first place).

The orignal Longhorn sidebar relied almost completely on WinFS. Lots of the tiles used data from WinFS so when WinFS was removed there was little left to attach to the sidebar. There are rumors that the sidebar may return for Beta 2 but be more like a widget system.