• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Design (unfinished)

Question

groovydesigner    0

Recently I have made this design/website/template .. it is not finished yet but what do you think about it ? Any advices? or something is wrong?

I would be helpful if you comment. :)

Thanks

Groovydesigner :)

websitepreviewnew9pq.jpg

Edited by groovydesigner

Conformity_Inc    0

Nevermind.......pic didn't reveal itself til i had posted.

Your text/links could do with being lined up properly.

groovydesigner    0

I posted the picture/design. :)

AbandonedTrolley    93

As mentioned before, maybe lining up the Links making it seem a bit smarter. Also not a big fan of the Outer Stroke in blue on the blue background :no:

Other than that, looks pretty functional. Would be interesting to see what colour text will be being placed on it though for content. Might be a bit painful on the eyes.

TimRogers    0

I don't really like it, it is over bright and it seems a bit kiddy, just create a basic site layout, or use Wordpress with a good theme

groovydesigner    0

Ok thanks for your comment ..I will align the links ... but remember this website is for a catholic youth club ... I tried to balance it between the terms youth and professional .. and I was going to make the content boxes like they are sticked to a board(example on the banner the ZAK is pinned) Is the banner good ?

stereopixels    23

I would suggest that if you are really going to have that many links that you create a vertical navigation pane rather than a horizontal one; it will keep the links tidier.

Conformity_Inc    0
I would suggest that if you are really going to have that many links that you create a vertical navigation pane rather than a horizontal one; it will keep the links tidier.

586317939[/snapback]

Great idea.

Go for simplicity whenever possible. It may not blow someones mind, but in the end, if you frequent a site, useability exceeds aesthetics eventually anyway.

groovydesigner    0

OK thanks for your comments.I was going to do the content boxes with the same method for the banner (the pin thing) what do you think about it?

Conformity_Inc    0

Damn double posts :p

Conformity_Inc    0
OK thanks for your comments.I was going to do the content boxes with the same method for the banner (the pin thing) what do you think about it?

586318018[/snapback]

Let us see a demo/mock up. We may be imagining something completely different than you.

dino-m    0

Your website is nice!!

groovydesigner    0

That's not my website :) I'm also working on my website too :) By the way I don't think the banner is good .. any changes you'd think I better do?

groovydesigner    0

Double post. Sorry.

Mx    0

No offense, I do not like it. Like a few of your designs it is too childish, bold and unprofessional. The fonts clash, etc. Perhaps try your skills at coding a design then adding images.

groovydesigner    0

So if you do not like .. I like it.. tell me what to arrange in it ..that's what this THREAD was created for ... thanks :)

jukeboxhero52    1

As others mentioned, put the links as a side panel. I would also make the content area white. Having blue everywhere doesn't look good.

Its not a bad start, just remember to keep it simple and legible. I would suggest laying down the basic coding first (css?), and then start working on the design end, as Mx2 mentioned.

groovydesigner    0

^You should receive a PM by me.

TomUsher    0

It doesn't look too bad, but as others have said, it does indeed look a bit kiddy.

Try toning down that blue a bit, and you seem to be over using layer styles like drop shadows and bevel effects a bit too much, unless they are done properly, they do end up looking a bit cheesy and cheap (as is somewhat evident from your signature, no offence, I'm just trying to give advice)

As for the links, a vertical list is indeed probably the best option if you're going to keep that many, otherwise, it might be a good idea to revise what links you really need, and try to cut down on the number.

Try visiting sites like http://cssvault.com/ and browsing through the links from there, you'll see some really nice web designs, don't be afraid to nick concepts from the work of others (not whole sites or graphics mind you)

Laptop    0

Looks too ammaturish font clash and horrible colours... back to the drawing board... I thought you was a designer?

CeruleanCowboy    0

I have to agree with the majority on the font, colors, links, etc. A little too amateurish.

I'd kill the drop shadow, change the font, line up the links, darken or lighten the blue into something more subdued so the final content is legible, and do something a little better with that bottom "glass" effect. It's just not doing it.

Also, I'd make sure that when you stroke text, make sure that if it's in the main viewing area of the browser/user that if the majority is stroked one color, stroke everything in that color. It just looks inconsistent with the black stroke everywhere and then the blue (which clashes with the other blue), for "Aspire not to..."

Again, back to the drawing board.

kinetix63    21

Well - I'd like to say this... I think that Groovydesigner has had a lot of flack on these forums over the months - and I have to say that your designs are actually getting a lot better! This design you've shown here is leaps and bounds ahead of the things I have seen you post before, and I just want to say well done to you on the whole learning front. Keep listening to the (CREATIVE) criticism on here, and learn from it - I have no doubt you'll be churning out designs like the best of them before much longer.

Anyway, my tuppence worth on here - lose the horizontal nav bar, and make it vertical. Also, try not to mix the fonts up. Here, you're using a very modern looking font, with a somewhat old fashioned looking font, and it clashes. Equally, a little injection of colour needs to go somewhere. perhaps a photo used in a banner or something. Not quite sure, but it's just lacking something...

downhillmatt2002    0

just as i thought you were getting better...... i was wrong you're not :rofl:

groovydesigner    0
Well - I'd like to say this... I think that Groovydesigner has had a lot of flack on these forums over the months - and I have to say that your designs are actually getting a lot better! This design you've shown here is leaps and bounds ahead of the things I have seen you post before, and I just want to say well done to you on the whole learning front. Keep listening to the (CREATIVE) criticism on here, and learn from it - I have no doubt you'll be churning out designs like the best of them before much longer.

Anyway, my tuppence worth on here - lose the horizontal nav bar, and make it vertical. Also, try not to mix the fonts up. Here, you're using a very modern looking font, with a somewhat old fashioned looking font, and it clashes. Equally, a little injection of colour needs to go somewhere. perhaps a photo used in a banner or something. Not quite sure, but it's just lacking something...

586318835[/snapback]

Thanks for your comment :)

t.gordon    0
just as i thought you were getting better...... i was wrong you're not :rofl:

586318849[/snapback]

i would agree with matt, the design is very amaturish, almost as if tutorials were used and put together, the 'logo' is not very noticable as you have used a 'clip' this adds to the kidish effect, unless you are a supporter of some famous 'non' guilty star it isn't a good image unless it is aimed to tempt such people,

JMann    2

Ok, not too bad. But still needs work, I don't like the blue. Try experimenting with some Gradients or a darker blue?

Quote from T.Gordon:

almost as if tutorials were used and put together

Also, don't use Tutorials, make up your own things and methods, look at your Passport kind of Photo on your header, here's the link to the tutorial you got it off:

http://www.greymonkeydesign.com/tutorials/pushpin.shtml

I'm sure SamIAM would be glad that you are learning from this, but it's good that your learning but move off from that and expand it and try and make your own design. Also, the navigation looks to cluttered. I never try to go for Horizontal navigation, if just never works, in my opinion, on any website. Try a horizontal box downwards on the left, im sure that would look 100 times more neater looking. Give that ago, and see what you come up with. Trying to provide some Constructive critisism here, just hope it wasn't too Harsh. ;)