Restoring Single boot?

C: Windows XP

D: Vista Beta 1

First boot option is "Vista/Legacy", choosing "Legacy" gives "Longhorn/XP Professional".

What are the steps to restore the single boot to Windows XP? A few new files on my C: drive "such as the "boot" folder suggest it's just a case of removing them and leaving boot.ini pointing to the Single XP installation there.

Anyone had any goes at this before I give it a try?

You mean this? -

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

Radish?

Nah, that's seperate, I have the boot.ini and that's the second boot screen that I'm presented with. There's a new boot screen that I've not seen before that's included with Vista which has "Vista" and "Legacy OS", choosing that then takes me to the regular boot.ini screen. I've got no problem just editing boot.ini (in fact I've done that), but there's still the first "new" boot screen which offers Vista over the Legacy OS.

I believe you should boot from your Windows XP CD and go into the Recovery Console and type 'fixmbr' (or is it 'fixboot'?). Then the XP bootloader will be used. You can then delete the 'Boot' folder and other bits and pieces that Vista has placed in C:\

Then edit boot.ini and take out the Vista line and set the default OS to XP. I think that's how you can solve your problem.

EDIT: Schmoove posted the first bit - I was right with that bit in that case.

1) pop in the XP cd and reboot

2) boot from cd

3) choose R for repair and use the following command on the prompt: fixboot or fixmbr (I do them both usually)

Well, I didn't need to do that :) I just removed "boot.BAK", "BOOTSECT.BAK" and the "Boot" folder then edited the standard boot.ini. Straight into XP now. Cheers for the responses guys :)

Yes but that is noth enough... I have done the same, and i am now starting up in XP correctly BUT i can't delete the Windows Vista created folders on my H: drive! I get a "Permission Denied" and if i view security permissions for files created by Windows Vista there are a "S-1-5-32-563" user that is the only one who has control of the files. My normal Administrator account has had Full Control disabled. All options are greyed out so i cant add or remove users or change permissions??

So my grand question is:

How do i delete the Windows Vista Windows folder from my H: drive WITHOUT formatting it as there are other important data on this drive?

Okay i have found a solution to the problem i described above.

The folders and files created by Windows Vista is owned by the S-1-5xxx user. So to gain control of those fodlers and files you have to change ownership in the security tab. Then after that you can set "Full Control" for the new owner and delete the folders after that :)

Funny, I also wish to do this, but here's what's happened to me: I issued the fixmbr command, and it gave me a warning that my mbr was non-standard and all hell could break loose. I recall the same happened with Windows Longhorn 5048 so I just confirmed. I took at as a sign it had detected the Vista MBR. After a reboot, nothing at all had changed; Longhorn boot menu still there, pre-Longhorn boot also there (but the later part was expected since I haven't went to change the boot.ini yet).

Do you need to do something else before giving the fixmbr command? Hmm, I can try removing the part from boot.ini first...

Do you have to use fixboot too? If yes, what's the difference?

When the last time installed Mandrake Linux ... I don't like his lilo boot, so I use the recovery console after install it, and repair the original boot and it's easy to do

after boot with recovery console and with this command I get back to winxp boot and make my linux lunch from xp NTLDR :

C:\Windows\FIXMBR \Device\Harddisk0

Repairs the master boot record of the boot disk. The fixmbr command is only available when you are using the Recovery Console

fixmbr [device_name]

Parameter

device_name

The device (drive) on which you want to write a new master boot record. The name can be obtained from the output of the map command. An example of a device name is:

\Device\HardDisk0.

Example

The following example writes a new master boot record to the device specified:

fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0