My Brand New Toshiba 52" DLP

For a surround system, I really suggest staying as far away from any large retail chain. Go to a good private owned home theatre store. Best buy, circuit city, etc will sell you what ever is on there hot list at the time. Dont deny it Chris. I have friends that work at Best Buy and futureshop.

Look in your yellow pages for a good place for home theatre equipment. Yes you will pay top dollar, but it will be worth it.

if you bought the bestbuy warranty thinking it covers the bulb, you're in for a big surprise.  bulbs are considered accessories just like laptop batteries and aren't protected under bestbuy's performance service plan.

586322904[/snapback]

uh, yes they are covered. The policy was updated last December, or so. They also cover laptop batteries.

if you bought the bestbuy warranty thinking it covers the bulb, you're in for a big surprise.  bulbs are considered accessories just like laptop batteries and aren't protected under bestbuy's performance service plan.

586322904[/snapback]

What do u mean by covered? When i said that im saying that if the bulb blows they will come and replace it at no charge to me. If you tell me i am wrong then i must go sue BB because i was told this by many staff.

:edit: :rofl:

im wondering about the lamp brightness. I can set it to normal and high. Its not that much of a differance although i like it on the high. Is it one of those things where im seeing a small difference and making a huge lamp life sacrafice.

For a surround system, I really suggest staying as far away from any large retail chain.  Go to a good private owned home theatre store.  Best buy, circuit city, etc will sell you what ever is on there hot list at the time. Dont deny it Chris.  I have friends that work at Best Buy and futureshop.

Look in your yellow pages for a good place for home theatre equipment.  Yes you will pay top dollar, but it will be worth it.

586322909[/snapback]

Um, have you heard the Yamaha systems? He's already made it clear that he doesn't want anything too extravgant. The Yamaha systems come with full quality receivers and pretty good speakers. They are the only HTIB's I recommend.

I am so eager to know...

"im wondering about the lamp brightness. I can set it to normal and high. Its not that much of a differance although i like it on the high. Is it one of those things where im seeing a small difference and making a huge lamp life sacrafice."

It will sacrifice the bulb life, yes. I honestly couldn't tell you how much, but it will definitely not last nearly as long as it would on the dimmer setting.

how much was yours?

i think i got mine for $3,200 i don't remember if that included the price of the stand :wacko:

its an awesome TV.. and i already had to replace the bulb two weeks ago.. its only 9 months old.

freakin morons at my house to leave the TV on 24/7 when no one is watching.. sometimes i come to an empty house w/ the TV on. dumbasses.

take care of it.

Yeah we will be getting a DVD/VCR combo soon. Right now we just have some 9 buck clearance DVD player. It sucks cause i want to play DVD-R.

Anyways bangbang im saying though its such a little differenence is it going to sacrifice my bulb life so much i shouldnt bother?

It will sacrifice the bulb life, yes. I honestly couldn't tell you how much, but it will definitely not last nearly as long as it would on the dimmer setting.

586322982[/snapback]

i didn't use the dimmer setting.. only lasted me about 9 months before it blew.. well thats what the 3 year warrenty is for.

Yeah we will be getting a DVD/VCR combo soon. Right now we just have some 9 buck clearance DVD player. It sucks cause i want to play DVD-R.

Anyways bangbang im saying though its such a little differenence is it going to sacrifice my bulb life so much i shouldnt bother?

586323037[/snapback]

If there's little difference, shut it off. You should only use it if your lighting conditions really demand it of you. By the time you wake the next morning, you wont' notice the difference anymore.

Yeah i turned it off last night :)

I had my cable company come today and they were saying that HD is only broadcasted on certain movies and at certain times for the local networks? True or is he BSing me?

Yeah i turned it off last night :)

I had my cable company come today and they were saying that HD is only broadcasted on certain movies and at certain times for the local networks? True or is he BSing me?

586327097[/snapback]

True. They definitely are not BS'ing you.

Lets say you have NBC HD, Regular NBC but the HD version. Unless the show or broadcast was shot in HD, it will not be shown in HD. So basically for a show to be High Definition it had to be shot in High definition. I was kind of ****ed when I found this out too.

Lately though with most newer shows and live broadcasts, there is a good chance it will be shot in HD.

Enjoy. (Y)

uh, yes they are covered. The policy was updated last December, or so. They also cover  laptop batteries.

586322906[/snapback]

Irony:

The reason I quit Best Buy was because I sold 3 DLP's in a week, and none had PSP's since the bulb wasn't covered. I explained it very clearly what was covered and what wasn't, and how much it would cost, etc. So they opted out (as I would have). But since that "hurt my PSP %," I got some hours cut. Nevermind the fact that I sold 10 grand in a day.

Anyway, I'd have to say that DLP's are my favorite technology right now. And I agree, the yamaha is the only htib that's worth it. The sony dream machine is (or was) a hot seller, but it's basically crap.

When you get a new DVD player, look at ones with 1080 upconversion. It's not the same as a 1080 image, but it may look better then standard 720 images to you.

Yeah im still having some problems.. with the bars..Even if its not HD how can i get rid of the bars without streching the picture off screen? At least can i get BLACK bars

Yeah im still having some problems.. with the bars..Even if its not HD how can i get rid of the bars without streching the picture off screen? At least can i get BLACK bars

586328236[/snapback]

When it's not HD, you're going to get bars on the sides and most sets give grey bars now.

But why gray bars. There are so annoying and obstrusive. Is there anything behind gray over black?

586328422[/snapback]

I don't know the actual reasons why.

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but, please, please buy a better surge protector. Doesn't have to be a $100 monster power center, but spend more than the $10 one that you have.

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but, please, please buy a better surge protector. Doesn't have to be a $100 monster power center, but spend more than the $10 one that you have.

586328521[/snapback]

Wow, I didn't notice that at all. Good eye. Yes, definitely get something a little less flimsy.

But why gray bars. There are so annoying and obstrusive. Is there anything behind gray over black?

586328422[/snapback]

My understanding is that the grey bars are there to help protect plasma screens from burn-in issues. Nice TV BTW; my TV is a Toshiba 26" LCD, not as big but it is WS and HD. :happy:

My understanding it that the grey bars are there to help protect plasma screens from burn-in issues.

586328972[/snapback]

But it's also used on digital projos and tubes. I guess you're right and that was my original inclination, but I wasn't 100% sure enough to say it.