Post Working Applications

Im thinking of installing Vista on my computer to see what its like, but before I do I want to know whenther or not the following application will work, they are what I most commonly use on my computer

Photoshop CS2

Alias Maya 6 or 7

Adobe After Effects

Steam

Battlefield 2

MSN Messenger 7.5

Miranda

RK Launcher

MS Office 2003

FireFox

Mirc

Netlimiter

Nero

DVD Decrypter

BitTorrent

So could any people who have Vista installed tell me if they work or not? Also could you list programs that you have discovered that dont work on vista and anyother programs that do work.

I think this thread might help others who are also thinking of installing Vista.

thanks,

-fro0ty.

I think they will work if u install on the partiton u have vista on ... becuase i tried to open word on vista by jsut clicking on the exe in c: but it didnt work but miranda, winamp, and mirc worked by just opening the exe.

Steam works, depends on who you talk to if the games work..

Firefox, Office 03, MSN Messenger 7.5, and BitTorrent work for me.

The other programs I don't have, I would imagine Mirc, Miranda and Photoshop would work.

MSN Messenger 7.5 - works, but crashes when you try to exit

Firefox - works

mIRC - works

Trillian - doesn't work at all, crashes on start up (due to ie7)

AIM Triton - works

Total Commander - works

WinRAR - works

I think thats all I've tried so far.

the reason stuff like office 2003 doesnt work when you open it is because critical info for it to run is in the registry, and vista gets its own registry seperate from XP...and some files installed go to %systemdir% (which for xp is your xp system32 dir, and for vista is your vistas system32 dir...so my suggestion (what I do) is reinstall those programs OVERTOP the XP installs...then you get the registry stuff loaded, proper files in your win dirs, etc... only thing to make sure is you get it updated to near the same version you have on your xp install (assuming youre dual booting)

ok thanks guys :laugh:

One more thing, I have a BT Voyager 100 USB modem... will that work with Vista?... with the drivers that are out for XP :unsure: