[Linux] Laptop Troubles

Hey there,

Just yesterday I purchased a brand-new Centrino-based notebook. As soon as I brought the new unit home, I fired up Gentoo's installer. This morning I woke up to a vanilla gnomebook :)

I'm having some troubles configuring the pointing device on the notebook. Here is an image:

dsc004034pr.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't know the name of this type of pointing device, nor do I know the name of the 'arrows' that would serve as scrolling aids (much like a mouse-wheel). Since I don't know the names of these devices off-hand, I haven't had much success searching google for an answer to my question(s).

My question(s) is:

a) What are these components called? (I'm referring to the 'pad' device & 'scroll buttons')

b) How would I go about configuring the pointing device to include scrolling support?

It is important I mention that the 'pad' already functions in it's most basic operating mode (meaning I can manipulate the pointer on-screen by moving my finger along the 'pad'). The 'scroll buttons do not work.

Cheers

Well, if the pad is working, then it may just be a matter of defining scroll zones (I don't use a touchpad, so I don't know). But the scroll areas aren't a different device or anything, so you don't need a separate module (I wouldn't think) to deal with them.

A google came up with this link on FC3/4, and some of the information in the xorg.conf may apply to set up a scroll zone on your pad.

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
Option "LeftEdge" "120"
Option "RightEdge" "830"
Option "TopEdge" "120"
Option "BottomEdge" "650"
Option "FingerLow" "14"
Option "FingerHigh" "15"
Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
Option "MaxTapMove" "110"
Option "EmulateMidButtonTime" "75"
Option "VertScrollDelta" "20"
Option "HorizScrollDelta" "20"
Option "MinSpeed" "0.3"
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.75"
Option "AccelFactor" "0.015"
Option "EdgeMotionMinSpeed" "200"
Option "EdgeMotionMaxSpeed" "200"
Option "UpDownScrolling" "1"
Option "CircularScrolling" "1"
Option "CircScrollDelta" "0.1"
Option "CircScrollTrigger" "2"
EndSection 

^ I set my touchpad up the same way. Apparently theres no way to get horizontal scrolling working, but vertical works just fine.

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Alps Touchpad"
	Driver  "synaptics"
	Option  "CorePointer"
	Option  "Device"  "/dev/psaux"
	Option  "Protocol"  "auto-dev"
	Option  "LeftEdge"  "60"
	Option  "RightEdge"  "830"
	Option  "TopEdge"  "70"
	Option  "BottomEdge"  "650"
	Option  "FingerLow"  "25"
	Option  "FingerHigh"  "30"
	Option  "MaxTapTime"  "180"
	Option  "MaxTapMove"  "110"
	Option  "TapButton1"  "0"
	Option  "EmulateMidButtonTime"	"75"
	Option  "VertScrollDelta"	"50"
	Option  "HorizScrollDelta"	"50"
	Option  "MinSpeed"  "0.4"
	Option  "MaxSpeed"  "0.5"
	Option  "AccelFactor"  "0.05"
	Option  "EdgeMotionSpeed"	"40"
	Option  "UpDownScrolling"	"1"
	Option  "TouchpadOff"  "0"
EndSection

The first thing that I did was disable the tapping, because it is way too sensitive on my laptop.

Here's the conf from the Ubuntu LiveCD. All I had to do was set HorizScrollDelta to 1 to get horizontal scroll working.

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
        Driver          "synaptics"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "auto-dev"
        Option  "HorizScrollDelta"	"1"
EndSection

Thanks for the input guys... still no luck with touchpad scrolling :unsure:

I have another issue that sould probably be dealt with first. My notebook has two ethernet devices: one wired (Realtek) and one wireless (IPW2200). They each work seperate of eachother just fine.

Is there a daemon (or another process) that will auto-switch between wireless and wired ports upon inserting a wired cable (or conversly detecting a wireless connection)? The way I have things set up is that one nic must be disabled for the other to work... while it is easy enough to manually shut one device and start the other, I was hoping that both[/b] can be configured and enabled at all times using the wireless ethernet device if there is no wired connection.

I bet that sounds confusing... the reason I am interested in this is I'd like to be able to roam wirelessly in any given WAP at all times, however if I need a full 100MBPS connection, I can plug a wire into the wired port and use it instead of the wireless.

Here is my /etc/conf.d/net

config_eth0=( "192.168.1.113 netmask 255.255.255.0" )

routes_eth0=( "default via 192.168.1.1" )

config_eth1=( "192.168.1.114 netmask 255.255.255.0" )

routes_eth1=( "default gw 192.168.1.1" )

modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )

wpa_supplicant_eth1="-Dipw"

wpa_timeout_eth1=60