[FC4] Anaconda:567 (Error during installation)

Vieira

I've downloaded Fedora four times since the first time this error appear, so I suppose that there aren't sham1 problems. During the installation, when "15 minutes remaing" the console appears, with this message: Anaconda:567: Pango Warning: Invalid UTF-String passed to Pongo-Layout-Text, followed by: Sending Termination Signals. I've tried a lot of things, changing language, unmark a lot of packs, like Gnome, Producivity, etc etc, and the error persisits. I can only install using minimal installation, and i'm not a Linux guru, so I would like to know what can I do, or how can I install Gnome/Kde using the console. Thanks in advance.

PS: Sorry for my bad english.

Edited by Vieira
markjensen

What language are you installing? I have never heard of this before, but I see pango deals with international characters

pango.i386                              1.6.0-7                base           

Matched from:

pango

Pango is a system for layout and rendering of internationalized text.

http://www.pango.org

Could be a bug with a certain language. Can it install in English?

Vieira

I've tried with English and Portuguese (my native language). Tried enabling and disabling all language packs, tried enabling only portuguese, disable all packs less gnome, then tried only KDE, and the same error always happen, except if I select minimal install. I've installed a lot of linux distros (such FC2, Mandriva 8/9/10.1, Lycoris, Vida Linux (uses Anaconda too), and many others, and no probem until today...) I'm not a Linux guru, so I need a Graphical user interface, like gnome or kde. If there is anyway to install it from console (in minimal install), I would like to know. Thanks.

markjensen

Yes, you can add them in from the CD with the rpm command. Perhaps using yum would be better (it will grab everything from current versions stored in the official repositories on the net).

First, su to root (and enter your root password when prompted). Then do a yum update, and make sure that everything works and it checks for and installs updated files. Then you should be able to do a yum install gnome to get Gnome, X and all that other basic stuff.

I am thinking that with a problem at such a fundamental level, you might be better off with a different distro...

Vieira

Ok. Thank you very much. I will try it but if it doesn't work, altough I love Fedora, i'll try another distro, or rollback to FC2, cause I have tried everything before posting, and nothing worked...

Again, Thank you very much.

Edited by Vieira