Rogers Extreme Internet: Should I upgrade?

I have a rogers express internet. Rogers said there are 2 options to upgrade to extreme

1) Buy the modem for 100$ + 2/month more

2) 3$/month for modem rental + 2$/month more

Rogers Express is 3Mbps down while Rogers Extreme is 5Mbps down

is it feasible for me to upgrade, is 2 Mbps difference good? how is the 5 mbps compared to 3 mbps, which of the 2 options should i use?

Thanks

It's hard to say which is the better option. If you're planning on keeping Rogers for a while, then it's worth it to buy the modem outright. If you're only going to be with them for a few months to a year, then renting it is better.

I wholeheartedly recommend Extreme. I'm using it at home and the extra bandwidth is awesome. I benefit most from the increase in upload bandwidth, which goes from 384 kbps to 800 kbps! It's very worthwhile.

well 3$ a month is 3 years worth of internet (100$)

586340754[/snapback]

Yep, so if you're planning on keeping Rogers for more than 3 years, buy it. If you think you'll cancel Rogers and go to a different ISP before the 3 years are up, it's better rent it. But do upgrade to Extreme, you'll love it.

I would advise upgrading to Extreme if download files from servers with a lot of bandwidth and a strong backbone.

Otherwise, standard 'net traffic' and peak hours will obstruct your full downloading potential.

FYI - Downloding vids from Gamespot can be as fast as 500k/s at times... whereas when I'm receiving a file via the ftp protocol from a linux software repository, I'll reach speeds of 600k/s.

If you are a heavy torrent dl'er, chances are you won't see the speed-increase you may be expecting.

Rogers is a very inconsistent ISP... the speeds you will reach heavily depend on your area's network grid, users in your area, etc.

I'd go for extreme if you have the cash and want more speed in cetain places...

I would advise upgrading to Extreme if download files from servers with a lot of bandwidth and a strong backbone.

Otherwise, standard 'net traffic' and peak hours will obstruct your full downloading potential.

FYI - Downloding vids from Gamespot can be as fast as 500k/s at times... whereas when I'm receiving a file via the ftp protocol from a linux software repository, I'll reach speeds of 600k/s.

If you are a heavy torrent dl'er, chances are you won't see the speed-increase you may be expecting.

Rogers is a very inconsistent ISP... the speeds you will reach heavily depend on your area's network grid, users in your area, etc.

I'd go for extreme if you have the cash and want more speed in cetain places...

586340770[/snapback]

well i live in the north edge of toronto and my speed downloading is on average 290-310 KBps and never slows down because there are hardly people using cable near me even though the neighbourhood is full of people

im getting an average of 298 KBps download speed of a file, will that increase to 450-500 on average?

586340774[/snapback]

Most likely yes... however again that depends on the condition of the fibre-optic infrastructure in your neighborhood, the amount of users who share the line, and time of day it is, and what server you are downloading from.

DON'T BUY THE MODEM YOU CAN TRADE IT IN FREE

Don't call them go to a store. I live in toronto and a friend of mine when to the one around Young and 16th. They gave him one for free.

But it really depends on your area... my area really sucks... My area's line is probably always on high. My download speeds aren't always that high but I do manage to hit 600 with download accelerating no prob (Flashget me :) )

also i just talked to a rogers tech rep and end of this month they are upgrading from 5 to 6 mbps/second with the same price

586340879[/snapback]

Ok getting this now, gonna tell my mom to call later.

If you buy it, you're stuck with it for life.

I say rent it for a couple of years... by that time there'll be a new modem to trade in for.

also i just talked to a rogers tech rep and end of this month they are upgrading from 5 to 6 mbps/second with the same price

586340879[/snapback]

This isn't the type of thing one should joke about... that being said I sure as hell hope you aren't lying to ###### attention...

... 'cause if it's true, I guess I'll have 6mb/s by the end of the month :cool:

Any word on upload speeds?

rogers extreme is 500-600k down and 100k up, i got it when it first launched and am loving it. also went to the launch at the docks and said i had to get it.

With the extreme package, my record is 1250kb/s off of a Microsoft server. Downloaded a 20Mb file in just under 16 seconds.

I quite often get 500-770kb/s downloads. Its lightining fast. I'm at Yonge/St.Clair and have been told most of my building has it.

At toast.net on their speed test, I get 5080 most times as the speed, which is off their chart.

I have VoIP phone now too, which is sweet. $40 a month, unlimited North America 24/7. And its from Rogers now that they bought Sprint so can be added as a better choice bundle and save 15%.

Best choice I've made in a long time.

OMG youcan't be serious. Just when I am moving out too!!