Sound on LCD HDTV

I have a 60 inch Sony Grand Wega LCD. Sony 60 inch Grand Wega LCD

I have comcast digital cable with DVR. I am using the TV WITHOUT surround sound speakers so the only sounds come from the TV speakers.

When watching TV or a movie through a DVD player, I can turn the volume all the way up and its still not unlistenable (probably not a real word). Its loud, but not to the point where it feels like I need to turn it down.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have another friend that has a different model of Sony's 60 inch LCD TV and he has the same problem.

Are these TVs built so that sounds should be coming from a surround sound system?

I'm questioning the volume using this TV so please no flaming about how you may think this TV sucks, Sony TV sucks, or me being a cheap a$$ and not getting a surround sound system. Thanks in advance to those who have any insight.

Does he have the XS955 model? Maybe that is why his is louder as it has better speakers. Also, have you tried a different dvd player? Maybe borrow a friends or buy one at a place that offers easy returns.

I have a panasonic plasma tv with io digital cable and i have the same problem with mine, the sound is horrible, and even when i turn on my dvd surround sound thats plugged with the tv the sound i get from it is horribly low, is so low that if i stand like 10' away from the tv and my fan is on, i have to struggle to hear the tv. I thought i was the only one with this problem.....

I forgot to mention my tv only does this while watching HD content, such as some of the shows that are displayed on NBC4 like the jay leno, conan o'brian show and stuff like this, not on regular tv shows...

Edited by xp1ode

Its not just when watching a DVD....the largest problem is with regular TV. I do get better sound from the HD channels, but not much better.

I tried to mess with the settings on my cable box, but can't find any place to adjust the volume.

I assume that I shouldn't be able to turn the TV all the way up and still have it bearable to listen to...anyone else share the same thoughts?