MSN 5 released

I've gone back to Adium lol, I was looking forward to this release but its not that good. There is now no way to remove the little timer when someone sends you a msg, and when I deactivate the in msg display pictures there is still a big white box there where the display picture would fit... :( Never mind.

586353123[/snapback]

You mean this? "View > Show Message Time Stamp".

Radish?

ugh, for all the time they had, imo they dropped the bomb. :/

is it me or is there no tabbed conversations?

586354529[/snapback]

There isn't, but it was never scheduled to have that in the first place.

Edited by PureLogic

i like msn 5 so far, though i wish it had tabbed convos like the initial pictures, that would been great

edit: now it's starting to sign me in and out, this is effin gay, i thought they fixed this but it has done it 3 times in about 2 minutes

i like msn 5 so far, though i wish it had tabbed convos like the initial pictures, that would been great

edit: now it's starting to sign me in and out, this is effin gay, i thought they fixed this but it has done it 3 times in about 2 minutes

586356795[/snapback]

eh none of the initial pictures showed tabbed conversations...

I think they're doing something with the fileservers at Microsoft, a few hours ago all Mac users in my MSN contactlist dropped out at the same time.

ive barely tried msn messenger 5 for mac now, but i kinda like it so far. It still looks to bloated, but they have made a more osx friendly msn client.

But i still wont switch from adium ;-)

Has anyone noticed that the dock icon no longer changes to reflect the connection status? Online, offline, away, busy... always the same dock icon. Weird.

586358284[/snapback]

Yeah, wonder why they removed that :/

Radish?

Has anyone noticed that the dock icon no longer changes to reflect the connection status? Online, offline, away, busy... always the same dock icon. Weird.

Yeah, wonder why they removed tha:/:/

Radish?

586358295[/snapback]

I think it has to do with Tiger's Dock not displaying the icons correctly. If you look at the MSN Messenger 4 dock icon states you'll see there's a mask problem, Messenger 5 still has it when an IM window is minimized and someone says something > the blue balloon has a weird black border around it. Panther didn't have that problem.

It's a shame though, I really loved those different Dock stat:(. :(

Didn't the old version also invert itself back and forth whenever there was a new message waiting in the background?

586358502[/snapback]

Yea Messenger 5 does something more subtile. You know the close button gets a dark blob in it's center when you made unsaved changes to a document (see pic)? When a Messenger 5 IM window is inactive and someone says something to you that blob will appear and start flashing on and off.

I just noticed it today! :cool:

post-91325-1123719513.png

Yep I've noticed that. Does it last longer than the bouncing dock icon?

edit: Nope, it doesn't. This is a bit disappointing... ah well.

Edited by am_fek

Does anyone know how to connect to AIM with this? I really like it, but most ppl I kno use AIM. It is advertised all over the place but for the life of me I can't find how.

Does anyone know how to connect to AIM with this? I really like it, but most ppl I kno use AIM. It is advertised all over the place but for the life of me I can't find how.

586360722[/snapback]

You can't, corporate accounts only...

That is so miss advertised. And makes no sense.

586361093[/snapback]

Of course it makes sense, Microsoft wants people to use the MSN network at home. They're not going to promote services like AOL and Yahoo.

If you are a member of an organization that uses Live Communications Server and the organization has enabled this feature, you can chat with people who use a variety of instant messaging services. For example, you can chat with friends who use AOL Instant Messenger (AIM),Yahoo Instant Messenger (YIM),and iChat, as well as those who use Messenger.

Top 10 questions about Microsoft Messenger for Mac

Anyone having trouble with file transfers? They've "fixed" the Mac > Mac ones, but I now can't recieve files from any PC users. I've had files sent from Windows Messenger, and the latest MSN, but neither works. Windows messenger just didn't send to me at all (I reckon that could be a firewall issue on the other person's end though) but anything from MSN seems to send and just as it's about done I'm told that the other person cancelled the transfer. (they're told it went through properly)

Why would you want to use it anyway?

586349380[/snapback]

I think in order for microsoft to upgrade it more often, more ppl need to use it and if ppl don't use it then they will just kill the msn messenger for mac. So I think if ppl want it to be better, then use it.

-just my personal opinion guys.

hmmm...they completly cut out the Myspace section, now we can no longer see if our contacts have updated their space by the star thing like the windows version...or am I missing something?