BSOD after Vista Install

I'm attempting to install Vista Beta 1. It finishes the installing and then the completing setup, but after the install completes I am unable to boot into Vista before getting a MACHINE_DEBUG_EXCEPTION BSOD.

Safe mode does not help.

This is the same computer that has run many of the previous builds of Longhorn flawlessly. The Hard Drive is IDE (although I am going to try a SATA one)

I have removed all the external peripherals from the computer (excluding keyboard and mouse) and have taken out my other hard drives which house XP x86 and XP x64.

ATM the computer is not overclocked (wanted to rule out any instability on the part of the computer)

Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ S939

2GB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM

128MB Nvidia Geforce 6600GT

Creative Audigy 2 ZS

Nvidia nForce 4 Chipset

At this point I'm at a complete loss as to what to do next. Any ideas?

Well its f****en MS fault I had the blue screen at the start of installation i think it has something to do with installing over Windows XP from Windows Vista.

Unfortunately, I didn't even install Vista over XP. I took out my XP Hard Drive and put in a blank hard drive.

Why would you install Vista OVER XP?? Unless you mean on a different partition.

It's still in beta, people.

File a bug report with Microsoft. Since you all got your copies legally, I'm sure you're familiar with the procedures.

Vista is in beta. Release is a year away.

Since you pilfered Vista, I'm not sure how you would go about filing bugs. In which case Vista is simply a curiosity to you, and pretty much unsuitable for daily use.

My advice would be to forget about messing with Vista and potentially damaging your current OS (if on the same drive.)

Enjoy what you have and wait until next year.

There are still lots of mysterious bugs in Vista, since it's only in the very early beta stages of development. Don't be so shocked about it not working the way you had expected it.

@LTD: Wow, wait a sec

All I've asked is a simple question. You don't even know where I got my copy from before accusing me of piracy

Bug or not, enough other people have gotten Vista working for me to assume that this is an error on my part.

I'm not expecting Vista to work perfect or even close. But it is possible to get it running which is all I want.

I'm not worrying about damaging my current OS (which atm is sitting on a hard drive in a different room than my computer)

So does anyone have any advice?

@ajschwab2004: iirc, Beta 2 is an open beta, yes. But it will stop functioning after a while.

Well I've solved the problem - actually more like figured it out. Solving it is gonna take some creative thinking.

As soon as I put a CD in the drive, Vista BSOD's

I was booting with a CD in the drive and therefore Vista wouldn't start.

Anyway I'm now in.

Actually, he was referring to the other guy.

I had the same problem, but it was because it was overclocked too high. I relaxed the settings, and it installed fine.

Well I've solved the problem - actually more like figured it out.  Solving it is gonna take some creative thinking.

As soon as I put a CD in the drive, Vista BSOD's

I was booting with a CD in the drive and therefore Vista wouldn't start.

Anyway I'm now in.

586353022[/snapback]

I'm not accusing you of anything, I was referring to ajschwab, who actually admitted it himself.

It's really none of my business how you got Vista - I was just alluding to the issue of legality insofar as it is related to bug reporting through regular channels.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it to work. Have fun with it!

Sorry I missinterpreted (sp?) you.

Vista definetly shows progress toward a final product where the previous builds gave you the feeling of going in circles.