Probably A Dumb Question

not all questions are stupid....if you didn't ask questions, how would you find the answer?

Ah.

I had this. I bet you are trying to install from the extacted files from the ISO either on disk or network? Am I right?

you HAVE to burn it to a DVD and boot from it or as soon as you type the product key it crashes.

I've seen solutions somewhere that allow you to burn it to a CD byu removing certain components and extracting boot sectors etc.. but its messy.

Hey guys, I am installing vista, but after i get the key in it crashes the install... i know this is a noob question... but what is happening?

586353608[/snapback]

Is your machine over clocked? Because i had that problem a bit ago and it waz because of my over clock ... i just "Downclocked" and Voila!

An emulated drive?

Well ok .. suppose it does work past the serial .. what happens when it reboots half way through setup, boots from its new "installation" boot partition and continues to install...

will the emulated drive still be there?

When I did it, it had already copied over everything it needed - didn't need the files at all, so installing from a virtual drive is not a problem :)