Gas Prices

want to know why its cheaper in america? our resources, so many people forget that we (the us) do refine a ton of our own gas..for some reason i thought the US had 40 percent of the worlds oil? i think that seems high but we do dig up alot of oil...so dont hate us becuase we have resources

now with that said dont flame me either...just stating a fact as to why the us has generally lower gas prices

There is a gross amount of misinformation being spread & accepted among the public, propagated by the media's willingness to sell just about anything. The crisis would be shorter and less painful if we accepted without complaint what goes by the epithet of ?price gouging.?

There is no doubt that gasoline supplies have been severely constrained by the hurricane. About 12 percent of the nation?s refining capacity has been damaged and the pipelines that deliver fuel from the Gulf Coast are still mostly offline. Meanwhile, panic is unnecessarily driving up demand as motorists line up for gasoline out of fear that it might be a lot more expensive ? or perhaps not even available ? tomorrow.

In a free market, scarce goods are typically rationed by price. People who value gasoline most are willing to pay higher prices than those who value it less. The former get the gasoline ? the latter to some extent go without. Allocating resources to those who value them most is one very important reason why our economy outperforms economies where resources are allocated by political action.

Some find this terribly unfair. The poor motorist may value the gasoline as much as the rich motorist, but his willingness to pay is constrained by his inability to pay. Accordingly, price controls are offered as a means to cushion the blow on the poor and to ensure a more equitable distribution of fuel.

Moreover, price controls lengthen the shortages. Allowing prices to rise to whatever their natural level might be sets off an economic chain reaction that remedies the shortage quicker than any conceivable government plan to do likewise. That?s because $3 gasoline and moral exhortations to conserve fuel will not produce the same degree of frugality that $6 gasoline would deliver.

Empty shelves are the defining feature of markets where price controls are in place. It?s a law of economic gravity.

Highest in Sydney is A$1.50/L, while just 2 days ago the highest was $1.40/L. What the hell is going on? That ****** little Johnny should cut back on the GST on the fuel, but him and his little right-wing liberal friends can afford it. Hmmm

Why do you Americans refer petrol as gas??

Its clearly a liquid.

Im not bashing USA just wnated to know, it seems pretty funny.

586494048[/snapback]

gasoline => gas. was it that hard to figure out?

Its just hit over ?1 a litre here, its crippling businesses such as haulage and farming so much their going to blockade all the refineries to stop petrol entering the pumps next week, unless the government slash tax.

gasoline => gas. was it that hard to figure out?

586494091[/snapback]

ok i get it, here In Australia we call it petrol and gas is for thing like cars that run on actual gas (LPG natural gas) which has been compressed/cooled to liquid form.

IM paying around equiv 5.50 a gallon US right now in canada, and its been around 4.50 a gallon for a year or so...

when I was in colorado 8 months ago I was paying 1.35 a gallon :)

Gasoline is the more appropriate word:

Petroleum - http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Petroleum

Gasoline - http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=gasoline

586494243[/snapback]

Actually.. the full term from which we derive the term petrol, is actually Petroleum Spirit, refined petroleum. It's exactly the same as gasoline, we just use a more refined version of it's original name than you lot :)

Anyway, I know you Americans don't have as much choice to driving as we do in the UK, given how spread out you are, but for chrissakes, quit driving fuel hungry pieces of crap that barely get 10mpg!!! Hell, even our 4x4's get better mpg that your SUV's!

The American people should be protesting about THAT, not the price of your fuel! Who cares if you're paying double for your gas, if your car goes 3-4 times the distance on it?

I best get the Golf TDI filled up ASAP then if the blockades are on the way!

Best price i've seen for derv is at the local Tesco - 93.9p a litre which is damn cheap compared to other prices i've seen - BP are at 99.9p a litre :(

prices are crazy... talks of blockades are getting people buying more petrol than normal- was like 92p on the weekend and now nearly 98p/litre. i hope they do have a blockade, place gordon brown and his crazy taxes on fuel to perspective.

hess stations seem to be pretty cheap around here for some reason... like 10-15 cents cheaper than everyone else... makes me wonder about the quality of the gas though.

Well you can pretty much accept the fact that in Australia prices will never go below $1AUD/Litre again and given that LPG is 50c/Litre im thinking of getting the gas put back on my car. Might cost me $800 but should pauy for itself int he longrun.

i was watching a very popular show here in the UK not long back called Top Gear and the shows host Jeremy Clarkson test drove the most popular best selling pick-up in the world and i don't think they sell any of them outside the USA lol i think he said there's something like 3 sold a second so he had to test drive it and frankly it was absolutely appalling bad handling non existent brakes god awful cheap brittle interior and an engine that completely sucked it was huge and guzzled crazy amounts of petrol completely un economical and this is like this year really its time to think different.

586466412[/snapback]

That was hilarious, when it showed a picture of the brake disks and they where barely any larger than the disks on my dads bicycle :)

That was hilarious, when it showed a picture of the brake disks and they where barely any larger than the disks on my dads bicycle :)

586499816[/snapback]

are you talking about the ford f150?

I think anyone who drives a large SUV should have the word STUPID stamped on thier forhead. The stupid things do nothing well on the highways and are more apt to roll over than any car and they burn much more gass. I would rather drive a sixties muscel car, at least they were performers. Any way people have got to get their heads out of their arses and clue in. Gas has been expensive all over the world except North America where we have been living in a dream world. A veichle is to get from here to there and nothing more. Please help save the planet and do it in the most green way possible. :woot: