Boot.ini repair

I have a dual boot with XP Pro and Vista. I edited the boot.ini from XP so I could try and bypass the legacy startup option (twice when booting into XP) I did a repair for fixboot fixmbr, bootcfg /rebuild from within XP and probably overwrote references to the new bootloader BOOTMGR in Vista with ones to NTLDR. I also attempted the startup repair option in Vista, however this was useless in beta 1. My understanding is if your dual booting XP and Vista the bootloader has to be initiated by Vista and not XP. Is there a way to repair without re-installing Vista again, such as an edit going into Vista's window explorer from the XP side. I've read where the bootmgr in Vista is similar to linux which would make repairs unlikely without reinstalling.

I have a dual boot with XP Pro and Vista. I edited the boot.ini from XP so I could try and bypass the legacy startup option (twice when booting into XP) I did a repair for fixboot fixmbr, bootcfg /rebuild from within XP and probably overwrote references to the new bootloader BOOTMGR in Vista with ones to NTLDR. I also attempted the startup repair option in Vista, however this was useless in beta 1. My understanding is if your dual booting XP and Vista the bootloader has to be initiated by Vista and not XP. Is there a way to repair without re-installing Vista again, such as an edit going into Vista's window explorer from the XP side.  I've read where the bootmgr in Vista is similar to linux which would make repairs unlikely without reinstalling.

586361481[/snapback]

I don't 100% understand what you're saying. However, I'm multi-booting XP, Vista, and Vista Server. Just load up XP, and copy winload.exe from Windows/System32 from one of the Vistas. Then, just edit the boot.ini to your liking. Change names, boot order, etc. I think this might be what you're asking. ;)

The suggested tweak for this doesnt wokat all on my set up. I have to use th legacy option so I can get into my Windows XP MCE OS trying he suggested tweak for the 'only 1' boot menu caused Windows XP MCE to blue screen every time I tried to load it saying to check for virues and remove any new hardware - so I am stuck with booting with two boot menus ! :(