I am a stupid idoit,please help me out

I installed over my windows xp,i have a hp computer and I have another recovery hard drive,and I predicted if anything goes wrong,I can fix it with my system recovery....it didn't work.at the starting I pressed F10 for system recovery,it didn't work. after it went in and I was choosing my OS there is a system recovery option,so I tried it all that was inside was for me to pick 3 different files so I picked c:>windows,and after that it told me to type something after windows .but i don't know how to work cmd HELP ME OUT!.sorry for my stupidity

owned :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

586368684[/snapback]

Nice, helpful post.

+1... :rolleyes:

here are recovery console commands

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm

I dont know what it told you to type so dunno

Can you boot the os from the second hard drive...it doesnt seem so from your post? Are they raid 0?

What I would do If all hope is lost is to buy another hard drive, install xp on it and transfer your files from other hard drives to the new one.

When it asks you if you want to use the recovery console or install windows, say that you want to install windows, but when it asks you what kind of installation you want, there will be a choice to repair windows... Key "R"

That'll reinstall windows, without losing your files.

And can you guys try to at least make helpful posts?

Call hp and ask for a set of Recovery Disks. I broke my Recovery Partition on my Hp Pavilion 761n so they fedexed me a package of 8 disks for free :D

Thats why kids When it gives you the option of making backup cds of the Backup partition YOU DO IT!

586368732[/snapback]

Helpful input mate. Im sure thats going to help HIM resolve HIS problem. Thanks again

When it asks you if you want to use the recovery console or install windows, say that you want to install windows, but when it asks you what kind of installation you want, there will be a choice to repair windows... Key "R"

That'll reinstall windows, without losing your files.

And can you guys try to at least make helpful posts?

586368733[/snapback]

Yeah but what did he install over xp? Vista right? So I dont think you can repair like that?

Thats why kids When it gives you the option of making backup cds of the Backup partition YOU DO IT!

586368732[/snapback]

Older Hps don't have that option (Like mine) so you will have to call Hp and ask for a set of disks

why dont u try goin to hp website and get the the floppy image for ure computr, the all u gots to do is copy it on floppy and reboot

Yeah but what did he install over xp? Vista right?  So I dont think you can repair like that?

586368740[/snapback]

I failed to realize this was in Windows Beta :whistle:

I think the easiest way to solve this problem is to save all your files onto another computer or hard drive and then reformat...

This isn't the most practical way, but it works

This kind of post is what makes me both sad, and proud.

Coming from a DOS, Linux BG from the start, .. all these things are tivial to me.

N00bs who never learn DOS, or get deeper and deeper sucked into the windows GUI are done for in the end.

Then again, it puts techs to work.

Not knowing DOS, is like being in college without ever having gone to HighSchool. :rolleyes:

Coming from a DOS, Linux BG from the start, .. all these things are tivial to me.

N00bs who never learn DOS, or get deeper and deeper sucked into the windows GUI are done for in the end.

Not knowing DOS, is like being in college without ever having gone to HighSchool.  :rolleyes:

586368808[/snapback]

Done for? Hardly.

I came out of the worst windows vista + xp screwup EVER. Ntldr failed, right before the os selection. I tried repairing xp, but it wouldnt copy ntldr...said copy wasnt on the xp cd. I tried to use vista to fix the startup error...turned out its fix is just gui bs (upon boot). Recovery console would bluescreen...everything would bluescreen. I tried creating a boot floppy, to get directly into vista...no go. There were no other options, none of this dos crap would come into use. I bought another hard drive, transferred all the files from both partitions to the new hd...and formated the screwed up hd. All is well now.

Not knowing DOS, is like being in college without ever having gone to HighSchool.  :rolleyes:

586368808[/snapback]

You're full of it.

Technology exists to make your life easier, not to encourage you to tinker with it. "Set it and forget it" is the order of the day, and is what every technology that is used on a daily basis should strive for.

Unfortunately, technology isn't perfect, but we're getting there. For a good whlle there will still be the odd ****-up or dumb move by the user. Such is life.

But the more Windows does for me without me having to worry about it, the better. The fewer clicks it takes me to get my work done, the better.

Go ahead and tinker with DOS and screw around with Linux. Some of us actually have WORK to do.

And the fact that you *probably* get called in once in a while to do maintenance on an employee's/user's/bosses system, isn't a sign of your knowledge or skill - it is merely a reflection of the current state of the technology in question. The dinosaurish cognates of DOS, such as the CLI, are DYING in terms of the mass market. Hope you can program, not just mess with the settings.

thank you all or all your helpful posts,this really did help me thank you.

586369188[/snapback]

Next time you'll be smarter and take the proper precautions.

Sometimes you have to learn the hard way.

ok, so you walked this path since the very beginning of it, and now you are laughing at the new comers? the only 3 dos commands that i know are cd cd.. and exit, so what?

ok, so you walked this path since the very beginning of it, and now you are laughing at the new comers? the only 3 dos commands that i know are cd cd.. and exit, so what?

586370818[/snapback]

Meh, don't worry about him. He's just a tech guy clinging to a dying element of our information age.

Thank God that Windows is an OS for EVERYONE. Thank GOD tht MS targets and markets for noobs. That's why they own the industry (and of course, that's due also to smart licensing.)

You're not supposed to do anything through DOS or the command line. That's where the OS is heading - you do less to get your work done. That's what it's all about.

You're not supposed to do anything through DOS or the command line.

Sorry, but there are still some things that are easier and faster to do at a command prompt than via the GUI.

That's where the OS is heading - you do less to get your work done. That's what it's all about.

586373050[/snapback]

It's heading there, but it's not there yet.

You're full of it.

Technology exists to make your life easier, not to encourage you to tinker with it. "Set it and forget it" is the order of the day, and is what every technology that is used on a daily basis should strive for.

Unfortunately, technology isn't perfect, but we're getting there. For a good whlle there will still be the odd ****-up or dumb move by the user. Such is life.

But the more Windows does for me without me having to worry about it, the better. The fewer clicks it takes me to get my work done, the better.

Go ahead and tinker with DOS and screw around with Linux. Some of us actually have WORK to do.

And the fact that you *probably* get called in once in a while to do maintenance on an employee's/user's/bosses system, isn't a sign of your knowledge or skill - it is merely a reflection of the current state of the technology in question.  The dinosaurish cognates of DOS, such as the CLI, are DYING in terms of the mass market. Hope you can program, not just mess with the settings.

586369105[/snapback]

lol g8 replie

Sorry, but there are still some things that are easier and faster to do at a command prompt than via the GUI.

It's heading there, but it's not there yet.

586373088[/snapback]

Your first point:

I agree with this. It's a sad reality, though. Indeed, some things ARE faster through DOS or the command line interface. But pointing and clicking "visually" requires less learning, which is a plus. I'm comfortable with DOS and a Linux terminal, BUT . . . I like to think in terms of "Joe Average", since he's all about simplicity. Simplicity and a very small (or non-existent) learning curve are what I'm all about when it comes to OS development. I want to sit back and just accomplish tasks in an easy, attractive, dumbed-down environment. I want to enjoy music and web surfing and movies and do work with just a few clicks. Customization should continue to be as easy as installing and clicking on an msstyle, etc.

It seems that we are slowly moving away from inputting commands by keyboard, although most people can still tolerate keyboard shortcuts. Alt-Tab is the furthest this should go, IMHO.

I shouldn't have to get used to the OS . . . the OS should get used to ME (in that it is designed to be intuitive and idiot-proof - no need to "look under the hood.")

So, I'm kind of an anti-techie, even though I was already programming in BASIC (lol) at the age of 8. Oh well.

Your second point:

Agreed. It's a long road, but I have to tell you, even with its faults, an updated and fairly well-maintained (which is relatively easy to do) Windows XP installation has provided me with more ease of use and simple ejoyment of my media than any other OS. OS X does this in spades, too, but I simply prefer XP; I like using what everyone else is using, for reasons of compatibility and interoperability. In this regard the gap has narrowed, but not sufficiently for my tastes. I'm not anti-Apple. Actually, thanks to a long OS X Tiger demonstration back in May, I was steered away from Linux and *back* to Windows XP. I'm simply troubled by Apple's management. I don't like the direction in which the company is heading (this has nothing to do with the move to Intel, btw), so I'm very wary about its future. That's just my personal evaluation. Views on this will differ, obviously.

Edited by LTD

You're full of it.

And the fact that you *probably* get called in once in a while to do maintenance on an employee's/user's/bosses system, isn't a sign of your knowledge or skill - it is merely a reflection of the current state of the technology in question.  The dinosaurish cognates of DOS, such as the CLI, are DYING in terms of the mass market. Hope you can program, not just mess with the settings.

586369105[/snapback]

Your reply is an inspiration to us all, LTD !