Anyone work at Staples?

popsandthefamily

Im thinking of working at staples, and i was wondering if anyone here worked there, and if it was a good place to work (good pay, good hours, flexible schedule). I know this varies from store to store but im just curious. I heard from only one person that they have long hours and low pay, is that true?

Also, im 16 and going to be working part time (up to 20hrs)

Thanks,

Hunter

Shycho

Good luck you'll certianly need it, staples seem to dislike hiring younger people, i know a friend who took media ICT and Bussines Alevels and was well mannered but they didn't even consider him, and i've never seen anyone under 21 working there. But the pay would be low as you would only get the minimum wage for a 16 year old working for a major company like that.

jbctech
Im thinking of working at staples, and i was wondering if anyone here worked there, and if it was a good place to work (good pay, good hours, flexible schedule). I know this varies from store to store but im just curious. I heard from only one person that they have long hours and low pay, is that true?

Also, im 16 and going to be working part time (up to 20hrs)

Thanks,

Hunter

586376832[/snapback]

I worked there in the past, and at the store I worked at, you had to be 18 to work there. I think it was due to some of the large equipment you lift and working the box compactor. I think in comparison to other retail stores, their pay, hours, and schedules are very competitive.

• 1 month later...
popsandthefamily

Well, its been a month, but they reviewed my application and scheduled an interview for this Saturday afternoon. Im pretty nervous actually... What should i wear? A dress shirt/pants, or a 2 pc Suit?

Crimson Behelit

Shirt and pants and tie (Y)

I just got back from my 2nd interview today and am feeling pretty good about my chances (without jinxing anything). I am awaiting for my background check to go through.

popsandthefamily

Oh, is this your second interview @ staples?

Crimson Behelit

Yup, I have already had two interviews. My first one was last night, and the recruiter (HR dude) asked me to come back in today to speak to the manager (Y)

As I said, I had my 2nd interview earlier this afternoon and it was with the store manager (Y) I feel confident I'm the employee they are looking for, but ultimately the decision rests with them.

popsandthefamily

What kind of questions did they ask? Did they explain pay and benefits? Also, was it friendly and relaxed? I'm just trying to get prepared ;)

spqqn

One of my buddies worked there and absolutely hated it. He did not like it because the bosses were asses. But, i guess you can find that with any job.

popsandthefamily

Thats not cool :/ My friends brother used to work there until he quit because the manager was a jerk and the management wasnt good. But thers an all new management there now

Crimson Behelit

1) Why do you want to work at Staples.

2) What behavior do you expect from a sales person.

3) What would you sell as class-attachment sales for a printer (for ex paper, ink, warranty).

4) What can you bring to the staples team.

Both interviews were a peice of cake (in my opninion). The manager and recruiter I spoke to were pretty cool and down to earth. They're the types of guys I see as having realistic expectations of their employees and sales goals (Y)

I wouldn't 'worry' too much if you've got a good head on their shoulders. It's more important to be yourself than it is to be the person you think they want you to be.

Good luck (Y)

Edited by joekr
popsandthefamily

Do you have to start out as a cashier until you can make it into other depts? I am horrible at math, its not my strong point so im always nervous when it comes to doing things with money or counting, etc.

youm0nt

i know a 16 year old that works there.i think he gets 7.50 an hour.he has done sales,customer support and cashier.i think hes been working there for about 2 and a half months.i know he has said he has worked from 3-10 or 4-10.

popsandthefamily

Good News! I got the job!

Relatively quickly too, the Asst. Manager was prety dull/intimidating, but lightened up the modd with some bits of dry humor. After answering the three common questions interviewers ask, and then showing him the resume i made and the one my internship printed out for me, he said I was articulate, and needed good people like me. I'm starting out at 7$ an hour, which is like .65 more than minimum wage! Sooo excited lol

Thanks to y'all

Crimson Behelit

Congrats man (Y)

Hopefully I'll be posting back here with good news too :)

Crimson Behelit

I just got the phone call a few minutes ago...

... I'm hired (Y)

I start tommorow morning :)

jtchange
I just got the phone call a few minutes ago...

... I'm hired (Y)

I start tommorow morning :)

586549459[/snapback]

congrats :yes:

five04

worked for staples for 3 years. they pay crap and treat their employees like crap as well. when i started with them in 2000, they were all about hiring managers from grocery stores who understood nothing about the actual retail market so all they wanted was for the associates to be stockers.

• 2 months later...
Andy S.

HAH, this convo is too funny, I walked in dressed up in a grey Tee and jeans. They hired me on the spot. I start tomorrow at 8am, Training on the comp and watching videos. I will be selling computers and digital cameras.

bdsams

I worked there in the past, and at the store I worked at, you had to be 18 to work there. I think it was due to some of the large equipment you lift and working the box compactor. I think in comparison to other retail stores, their pay, hours, and schedules are very competitive.

same here, i used to work there and the managers were dumb high school dropouts who knew nothing and thus i quite after 3 months... i worked office supplies at the same age as you and i would imagine you would do the same...get used to the term of blocking *shudders* as im sure its staples nationwide thing

have fun tho, good first job and dont even start to think you get benefits like best buy does... staples has "employe" days once a month where you get like a crapy 10 percent off

Andy S.

same here, i used to work there and the managers were dumb high school dropouts who knew nothing and thus i quite after 3 months... i worked office supplies at the same age as you and i would imagine you would do the same...get used to the term of blocking *shudders* as im sure its staples nationwide thing

have fun tho, good first job and dont even start to think you get benefits like best buy does... staples has "employe" days once a month where you get like a crapy 10 percent off

you gotta be ****ting me... 10 % off thats it? wow, oh well. I want one of their cameras there, the Canon D20 but its like $1,500 and only a $180.00 rebate.

runningking7

you gotta be ****ting me... 10 % off thats it? wow, oh well. I want one of their cameras there, the Canon D20 but its like $1,500 and only a $180.00 rebate.

Agreed. I mean, you can get 30% off retail prices on eBay for God's sakes.

By the way, how much does a manager make? Because I'm certain that my background and abilities exceed those of a manager, so I'm curious.

pimpshiznid

By the way, how much does a manager make? Because I'm certain that my background and abilities exceed those of a manager, so I'm curious.

Typical retail management make $30,000-$50,000 a year. With commission, it can be more. In cellular, management can actually bring in up to $70,000 a year. And most only require some sales experience and a high school diploma.

Andy S.

Typical retail management make $30,000-$50,000 a year. With commission, it can be more. In cellular, management can actually bring in up to $70,000 a year. And most only require some sales experience and a high school diploma.

Crap, I am lacking the High school Diploma. Well whats a sales associate make a year? they started me off at $7.70 an hour :-( But they said it will go up each month if I get 90%-100% on this sheet they make out. Some kind of check list on how good you did or something.

PS: Im guessing I make 10k-15k a year if Im lucky :-(.

I hope I don't suck as a salesmen.

anyone else a sales associate? or Equalivant to one?

Prometheus

Im 14 im planning to work at Future Shop or bestbuy to get deals on computer stuff.