Windows XP 10 User Network Workgroup Limit

I have Windows XP Pro, and a network of about 26 computers (also running Windows XP Pro). It turns out that Windows NT4, 2000 and XP Pro have a 10 share limit when connecting in an workgroup network.

Anyone know how to bypass this limit without changing my OS? Or if anyone knows of a good guide about setting up a network domain in Windows XP, I'd be grateful.

(Info about this limit at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;Q314882)

If your going to setup a home domain, you need a domain controller :)

A simply box running one of the following:

Windows NT Server 4.0

Windows 2000 Server

Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Windows 2000 Datacenter Server

Windows .NET Small Business Server

Windows .NET Enterprise Server

Install one of those OS'es onto a dedicated box, promote the machine to a Primary Domain Controller (or just Domain Controller in Windows 2000/.NET) and make each and every computer join the domain.

Originally posted by jbarley

I have Windows XP Pro, and a network of about 26 computers (also running Windows XP Pro). It turns out that Windows NT4, 2000 and XP Pro have a 10 share limit when connecting in an workgroup network.

Anyone know how to bypass this limit without changing my OS? Or if anyone knows of a good guide about setting up a network domain in Windows XP, I'd be grateful.

(Info about this limit at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;Q314882)

You need a Server Based Windows Operating System, like one of those listed above.

there is no bypassing this one buddy.

i'm surprised how much you don't know, and that your putting up URLS to MSKB about the limit, dude everyone in their right mind knows about 10 on a workgroup/ Domain MAX. any more you need server OS.

xp home edition is an exception its 5 and only on aworkgroup...

since .NET Server family is in BETA i suggest you use Windows 2000 Server or Advanced Server as the Domain Controller.

oh and by the way, welcome to neowin. :D

Thanks for the replies :)

It seems strange that MS wouldn't have a limit in Windows 9x but would put one in their newer OS that is supposed to be better at networking.

I guess I'll look into setting up a domain.

Thanks for the replies :)

It seems strange that MS wouldn't have a limit in Windows 9x but would put one in their newer OS that is supposed to be better at networking.

I guess I'll look into setting up a domain.

Windows 9x aren't designed specifically for a network. welcome to Windows NT Kernel, you have to learn that Windows XP Wasn't built from Windows 9x, Windows XP was built was Windows 2000 these operating systems were built from scratch dating back to 1993 the introduction of Windows NT 3.5

Read A Book.

I've never done any networking with more than 10 machines before with XP Pro. I previously had the machines running Windows 98SE where there was no limit, and didn't expect MS to limit this.

BTW. I've been lurking Neowin for a while, just never had the need to post until now :)

I know that Windows XP wasn't based on the 9x kernel and is an upgrade from 2000. I'm just new to networking computers running Windows 2000/XP.

If you could recommend a good book about networking with Windows 2000/XP, I'll look into it.

I know that Windows XP wasn't based on the 9x kernel and is an upgrade from 2000.

If you could recommend a good book about networking with Windows 2000/XP, I'll look into it.

I found that the book entitled "Windows NT Network Administration" from Microsoft Corporation was quite helpful in teaching me the fundamentals of Windows NT Server & Workstation networking (Yay! Old school).

Although it isn't based on Windows 2000/XP networking, it does teach you the finer points of setting up a domain for business-use (which can be converted for home use) and covered such topics as Domain Controller setup, NTFS permissions, share permissions, maintenance and control of users.

Along with this book comes a "Lab Manual," which takes you through some of the more difficult assignments step by step (such as the first time you setup a Primary/Backup Domain Controller). Within the Lab Manual are 2 CD's, a 120 Day evaluation version of Windows NT Server 4.0 and a practice CD containing exercises.

I picked this book up (along with 2 others) for $20.00 at a book clearance centre here in Toronto. I'm sure you can find them at any book store or computer book retailer.

More Information On Book & Series

Before diving into why MS did or didn't do something lets take a moment to understand what P2P networking is vs Client-Server Networking.

With Peer to Peer networking using protocols such as Netbeui, and TCP/IP there is a design flaw. When you have a computer and connect another computer to it, these two computers will communicate between each other. Basically they do that to check and make sure the other computer is there by sending packets of information. It's almost if these computers are asking, "Hey George, are you there?".

With 2-3 computers this is fine because using a 10/100mb connection little bandwidth is used up in this. Now when you have 10 or more clients in a network needing to be connected to one another, this turns into a major problem. All of a sudden you have all of these computers sending out messages to every other computer asking if it's there. In essence computer 1 sends a message to all of the other 20 computers, and computer 2 sends a message to all of the other 20 computers and so forth. Networking speed will virtually come to a halt preventing other work from being done.

Microsoft knew this and created the 10 user limit in the Peer to Peer Networking function. Also NT/2000/XP is designed to be a client operating system anyway. So to resolve this you must have a dedicated domain server. This isn't a www.domain.com server but rather a server that allows ALL computers in a building and network to make their primary connection to it. Then the domain server manages these connections and becomes the central connection point.

From an administrative and engineering point of view this is much much easier. Imagine having 20 users and they all needed to have a networked drive for storing items. With 20 peer to peer workstations no one would have enough so everything would just be scattered across all machines most likely loosing data in the process. With a domain controller thats all resolved.

In short... you need to get a copy of NT/2000 server. I suggest calling or contacting microsoft for a 120 day eval copy to see if that fits your needs.

Thats my best suggestion from my engineering and administrative experiences.

It looks like we're gonna install Windows 2K and set up a domain, so I'm gonna get a bunch of books about Windows 2K and networking. :-)

Thanks for the replies and the help.

It looks like we're gonna install Windows 2K and set up a domain, so I'm gonna get a bunch of books about Windows 2K and networking. :-)

Thanks for the replies and the help.

Dude, its not 2000 that'll help you

YOU NEED 2000 SERVER or ADVANCED SERVER to setup the domain, with 2000 Pro or XP Pro you can max @ 10. you need an OS that has a DOMAIN CONTROLLER in it, 2000 server , advanced server or the .net server family betas will do it. installing 2000 pro will not help.

its a special version of windows 2000 that is for more than 10pc up to 1,000's basically thre is nothing wrong with having 26 XP PRO Pc's, its just that you need a SERVER based OS to let them all see each other.

Yes, I understand that, and I realize that I need the server edition to set up a domain. I found a program that supposedly converts Windows 2000 Pro into the Server edition and decided to try that out (NTSwitch) with my Windows 2000 CD.

From the NTSwitch Readme:

This program will change the operating system type on your computer.

You can turn a Windows NT Workstation (or a Windows 2000 Professional) installation into a Server environment and vice versa.

While the software has been tested on NT4 and Windows 2000 installations, there are no guarantees that it will work on your system. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

The software also appears to turn Windows XP Professional into "Windows Whistler Server", but the resulting operating system is not fully functional. DO NOT USE THIS PROGRAM ON WINDOWS XP UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO REINSTALL THE OPERATING SYSTEM.

REASON: It's a well-known fact that Microsoft's Windows Workstation and Windows Server products share the same binaries - the only difference lies in the registry. The sole reason for the creation of this software is to demonstrate this fact to the public.

I wanted to try this to see if it would work. It appears to change the OS, but I don't have access to the domain controller setup.

Your best bet is find a retailer or even a wholesaler and get a copy of Win2000 Server with 5 client licenses for around $499 and then you need to contact microsoft about purchasing at least 30 more licenses so the rest of the computers can connect.

NTSwitch only seems to change the logos and a couple of info lines to say Server instead of Professional. Anyone want to prove me wrong and tell me where the server tools are?

...or **** microsoft inn the ass and install linux. set up linux as a domain controller then the clients will believe you are running a win2kserver domain controller. cheaper.