Went to frys to test out macs

Went to frys to test out macs and i am in love omg. not only were they fast as shiz, but they looked beautiful. my friend and i tested out the duel 1 gig, 512 mb ram, on a AWESOME 22inch studio display, it was phenomanal (spelling). Then comming back into reality, i went to the 800 mhz, 256 mb ram g4 tower because of the price (i dont have a job, hence no money). they are so sweet, i play the 'alice' game, looked beautiful, ran smoothly. then i went over to the 2 gig p4s and there was absolutely no comparison to speed. it was not nearly as fast. ima scrap together some cash and try and get a g4 tower in the comming year, they are sweet.

Originally posted by Knoxca

This thread is going to be a joy. :ermm:

Why?

TBH I half expected my G3 600 iBook to be hellish slow but it's quite nippy. Certainly faster than an x86 600mhz proc would be.

Originally posted by Kanecorp

i have a LCD iMac 800Mhz, I find my P4 1.3GHz to be faster.

i wonder why? :ponder: could it be that its 500mhz faster? :rolleyes:

okay, i read the PC vs MAC, they say the amd machine beat the mac machine...lets see why..dual 1800+ vs dual 1ghz G4, even though mac chips are said to be faster than x86 chips, lets see dual 1.53 over Dual 1 ghz, of course the dual 1.53 ghz is gonna win, it does have over 1ghz on the other machine...imo this test wasn't fair..if you look at the test results, alot of them weren't too far away from PC times

When are you people going to realise that a good computer experience isn't about how many numbers your CPU can crunch in any given time. Although that is a small part of it, there are far more important features to consider like reliability of the OS, good software, a GUI that you like to use, ease of use. All of these are far more important then if an AMD can render a scene in 12:24 as opposed to 12:20 of another processor.

mugs wrote

okay, i read the PC vs MAC, they say the amd machine beat the mac machine...lets see why..dual 1800+ vs dual 1ghz G4, even though mac chips are said to be faster than x86 chips, lets see dual 1.53 over Dual 1 ghz, of course the dual 1.53 ghz is gonna win, it does have over 1ghz on the other machine...imo this test wasn't fair..if you look at the test results, alot of them weren't too far away from PC times

1. Ok. This 1 Ghz G4 is slow. Maybe you have a G4 that will beat Athlon ?

2. What about the price?

if you look at the test results, alot of them weren't too far away from PC times
what?!? :s

It's just plain stupid to compare performance only by the clockspeeds..

That's exactly what Intel wants us to believe.

Intel: high clockspeed, moderate performance

AMD: lower clockspeed, higher performance, cpu runs more efficient

Motorola CPUs (mac): lower clockspeed, higher performance due to RISC type CPU

(intel's the only one not able to lower the clockspeed and increase the performance)

hmpf, too much ranting here :cross: ... I'll just shut up for now :x

Originally posted by cub-x

It's just plain stupid to compare performance only by the clockspeeds..

That's exactly what Intel wants us to believe.

Intel: high clockspeed, moderate performance

AMD: lower clockspeed, higher performance, cpu runs more efficient

Motorola CPUs (mac): lower clockspeed, higher performance due to RISC type CPU

(intel's the only one not able to lower the clockspeed and increase the performance)

hmpf, too much ranting here :cross: ... I'll just shut up for now :x

hmmm, arent pc's risc based and macs cisc based?

Well most people will judge a computer's speed by how fast things move/resize/maximize etc, and how fast things load. At least thats what I judge a computers speed on (or should I say the OS' speed?). I would honestly buy a 266 if I knew that the OS would be "snappy" on it. But in reality the Mac OS X is a slow system, if it was running on the PC you can bet it would be even slower, this is partly because of all the alphablending, and also because BSD systems just arnt fast when they have an X window system slapped overtop (Aqua is like a hybrid Xserver/WM). Unix was not meant to have a GUI, and thats why it suffers in speed when a GUI "frontend" is placed overtop. The command prompt or terminal is actually very fast at doing things as with any nix system, but as soon as you enter say..... KDE or Gnome (on x86) things slow down significantly. It sucks, but theres not much that can be done about it. So.... Windows is faster then OS X, you cant really deny it, just compare them side by side. BUT turn on all of XP's crappy effects then add some stardock apps, and see how fast the PC degrades to the speed of OS X ;).

Chris