DVD video quality?

yayaba

I'm a little confused on what progressive scan DVD players actually do. DVD resolution, IIRC, is 720 x 480... but does this mean 480i or 480p?

I was under the impression that the quality isn't HDTV quality so it's definitely not 480p but in that case, what effect would there be in hooking up a progressive scan DVD player then since the original quality isn't up to snuff?

slim_Az

I read about this in an instruction manual for my dvd player, can't remember the definition.. cant find the manual either, so my guess is it means it progressively scans the picture, or something.. sorry :( lol

bangbang023

To keep it simple, standard definition TV's are 480i, meaning they show 240 lines at a time and alternate between them so quickly that your mind winds up deciphering only one picture. It's basically a rapid flashing back and forth of the odd numbered lines and the even numbers lines. Progressive scan requires a TV that supports the higher resolution, usually an ED or HD TV. It shows you all 480 lines at once (480p) giving you a sharper picture. This is the same reason 720p is better than 1080i.

Martog

Basically what bangbang said, plus 480p it not considered HDTV, 720p and 1080p are. Part of this has to do with that Enhanced Digital TV's (EDTV's) can do 480p, but do nothing high, showing that you can get progressive scan without a too expensive of TV, but lack the support of HDTV. I would suggest just staying away from EDTV's all together if you would be looking for a TV now, since future movie formats will be HDTV, and not just 480p. :)

Bearded Kirklander

Progressive = Non Interlaced. :)

bangbang023
Progressive = Non Interlaced. :)

586382590[/snapback]

If it weren't for the links above and my explanation, that wouldn't help him at all.

Bearded Kirklander
If it weren't for the links above and my explanation, that wouldn't help him at all.

Perhaps. But that is why I did not feel the need to expound. You all had done a pretty good job. :)

Sometimes a nice little summary statement can help wrap it up, don't you think?

It is true - Progressive Scan = Non Interlaced. Is it not?

bangbang023
Perhaps.  But that is why I did not feel the need to expound.  You all had done a pretty good job. :)

Sometimes a nice little summary statement can help wrap it up, don't you think?

It is true - Progressive Scan = Non Interlaced.  Is it not?

586382671[/snapback]

(Y) Good point.