The Next Console - Who Will Win?

28 members have voted

1. 1. The Next Console - Who Will Win?

• Playstation 2
    • X-Box
    • GameCube
    • Console? I'm stickin' with my PC!

why I think the ps2 will when is that everyone is using it and sony is know for there console with all the games like gran tourismo 3, final fantasy, and other good titles!:o

Tough one. XBox is superior in the amount of raw horsepower. However, it still requres a lot of work and I think people might take a while to get used to the controls. Ultimately it isn't about the console. It's about games. PS2 is getting its killer apps out -- GT3, FF X, etc. XBox is probably betting on Halo, Munchee's Odyssey and a plethora of sports games. ALso online gaming with XBox will play great part in gaining it some popularity

My vote would be XBox, provided they flush out all of the playability issues their games.

Sony f*cked up with the PS2. The PSOne was selling brilliantly and games were being released by the dozen, but then they decided to basically kill it off to release the PS2. It has sold awfully from the beginning with shortages putting a lot of people of getting one.

Games are also decidedly lacking on the PS2 with GT3 being the only good game [is it any good? - people say it is too similar to GT2 and others just say it's lame].

The X-Box actually looks very promising. It has some cracking games coming out and with internet access and a built in hard drive, it looks to get better with age.

The Gamecube looks very KIDDY. Nintendo, as always, intend to limit 3-party games makers and focusing on making all their own games. Let's hope it has a better controller than the GBA . Our family has a GBA and it's hardly even used... people played on it for like and week [if that] and then got bored (AND we got F-Zero - THE best game out for it).

Now is the best time to stick to the PC:

Team Fortress 2

Unreal 2

Unreal Championship

Return To Castle Wolfenstein

Halo

WarCraft III

Soldier Of Fortune 2

FreeLancer

And it's 1:47 in the morning here and I just can't think... well, the PC wins it for me.

-mortensenj

Although the Gamecube will be a kiddy console I bet the games will be fun. Nintendo made the right choice to go for a different age group instead of competing directly with the X-box or the PS2.

i've been playing Grand Torismo 3 solid for the last 48 hours, need i say more? btw I'll be tradin in when XBOX his UK in 2002 :p

SSX

GT3

TimeSpliters

Klonoa 2

Tekken Tag

High Heat 2002

Madden 2001

Onimusha

Twisted Metal Black

Quake III

NBA Street

Shadow of Destiny

Red Faction

MDK2

Crazy Taxi

DOA2

RayMan 2

Escape from Monkey Island

FIFA 2001

Seems like a lot of good games to me...

I cant wait for Silent Hill 2, FFX, and Metal Gear 2

How did the PS2 kill off the PS (the hardware needs to die) when it can play PS games too? The games are all that matter.

Why??

Because of the games, i mean, when the GC comes out, for X-mas i'm goin for Zelda and Smash Brothers

both are GREAT games for n64, and i believe will be just as great

i mean Smash Brothers is one of the sweetist mplayer games

lates

counting out the PC, i'd put my money on the xbox before anything else, as the sheer power and online gaming feature will do a great job of winning over players, though i'll admit the controller will need work. however, due to the diversity it offers, and the fact that i don't have to pay an extra $400 for a whole new system to play games on, my vote went down for the PC on this one. as the pc becomes less and less of a sit-in-one-spot-at-a-desk item and becomes less positionally restraining, i'll predict the console and pc will eventually meld into an experience premium to what either has to offer currently.

Since most of you don't follow the consoles, and rather stick to PCs, you don't know what you're talking about :)

Xbox will fail, plain and simple. It has no support. Microsoft alone cannot sell this system to gamers. And PC gamers (which there are VERY few) will not save the system.

And unlike PC users, console users are not graphic/horsepower ######. Look at 3D0, Jaguar, CD-i. All had better graphics than the 16-bit consoles, but no one bought them. No good games. Just like the Xbox.

I believe PS2 will maintain the lead, but GameCube could give it a run for its money. GameCube is getting Soul Calibur 2, Tekken 4, Ridge Racer, Sonic Adventure 2, Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, Pikmin, Wave Race, etc, etc.

Imagine... Mario, Sonic, and Tekken on the same system. I doubt GameCube will have any problem succeeding.

I'm interested in where you got the idea that there were "VERY few" PC gamers? i dare say there's more PC gamers out there than PS2 gamers, and there will continue to be more PC gamers than there will ever be Xbox gamers. Here's what you fail to realize, Microsoft will eventually crack open the console market and start taking out it's chunk. It's the way Microsoft has handled entry into every industry other than their own software industry. Xbox is just Microsoft's foot in the door. If Xbox is even mildly successful, microsoft will improve upon it continually, and their market share will grow. it's undeniable that 4-5 years from now microsoft will have some sort of position in the console market, some sort of position in the broadband market (within a year actually, for that one) etc. I'll admit, Microsoft is making a very ****ty move trying to run with Halo and the sports games, rather than purchasing the rights to license out already supported games to help Xbox on it's feet. If MS had taken that route, they'd be able to prove that gameplay and gfx are better on xbox in comparison to the same game on another system. that'd win over a horde of players. however, the games MS has lined up for the Xbox should prove at least mildly successful, but they're definitely hindering the machine's full potential.

Are you aware of that microsoft is one of most powerful corporations in the world. Don`t you think they will crush sonys pitty little ass if they want to. And what they will with this console is to merge the computer and the console world. They can do this because of their power in the computer world. X-box will crush ps2s ass because of its computer abillities, and the fact that it outperforms x-box on general game performance. And finally because x-boxs games will be created by the manufactures of computer games and by the manufactures of console games.

Besides Microsofts markeding machine is so huge that we will be reminded everywhere of X-box presence when it arrives.

Don`t you think they will crush sonys pitty little ass if they want to.
Sony isn't exactly an underdog of a company...I think they can handle their own well enough.

It seems that the power adapter and television cables for the gamecube are being sold separately

come on the dreamcast IMHO is better than PS2. It had so much going for it and they just gave up! Sega did thata on the Saturn too. Dreamcast had more Technology in it then the PS2 and loaded games a hell of a lot faster..Graphics are the same and they had internet play! Screw all the G.C.'s get an emulator for them!! lol

They all suck compared to a PC.

Even the XBox which I think has the best specs - Pentium 3 733? I've got an Athlon 1.2 and the XBox isn't out yet. GeForce 3? Yep, same here. 6 months after the XBox comes out people will have GeForce 4s probably, or Radeon 8500s anyway.

The XBox has similars specs - don't forget that ATM pc specs are really about Pentium 3 700, GeForce 2 MX. Sure, many people have more, but new games are being designed to run properly on that sort of level. Take Op-FP for example - that's about what you need to get any sort of performance out of it (despite what the box claims). People with better PCs get a bonus though - higher res, better detail etc.

I think the XBox will do quite a lot of good for PC games. It's got very similar architecture, so porting will be easy. However with it's GeForce 3, programmers will start to take advantage of GF3 features. The GF1 had hardware Transform and Lighting, yet it's only just starting to be used! When programmer writes for the XBox, they will know that 100% of the gamers will have pixel shading and such so they'll use them. Once they're ported to PC, making the pixel shading optional should be as easy as removing it.

In this respect the XBox will help the PC utilise it's full potential, so I'm in favour of the XBox in that respect. On the other hand, it's by Microsoft and I dislike their size enough as it is. The fact that it's Mircosoft will garentee sales - I've talked to many people who consider Microsoft to be brilliant for no reason -"Windows is brilliant" "why?" "because it's made by Microsoft" isn't uncommon. They'll defend Windows and laugh at Linux even though they admit to not knowing the first thing about it.

When the XBox is out (couple of months) it's specs will be pretty good and many impressive games using new GF3 technologies will look great and sell. In 8 months it's specs will be poor compared to PC and it's best games will be ported and using the same GF3 techs, but looking way better in 1280x1024 PC monitors (and that res is becoming (for some people is) general play, not just for showing off).

The PS2 looks good for a console and I think it's selling (shortages may make it look bad, but there are shoprtage becuase it's selling).

The Gamecube will bomb I think. It doesn't seem to have anything the others don't and it will need a massive make or break marketing campaign that, if the worst happens, could see Nintendo go down badly like Sega did when the Saturn flopped.

I'll still stick with my PC though - it's got internet access and a hard drive too :)

It's also got more RAM, disc space, upgrade potential, backwards compatiblity, high res, high quality screen, more uses than just games/web etc.

What really cracks me up about consoles is the games - what I call the "Spyro" sydrome after Sypro the Dragon. Cute 'n cuddly babies games with only the occasional teenage, never mind adult game like Metal Gear Solid (to a point) and Golden Eye (by all accounts excellent).

Take it this way - new consoles are built on PC ideas and, for the XBox anyway, straight PC equipment. The PC has got little more than better gamepads from consoles.