How to enlarge image without it getting pixelated?

Question

I searched for this and the previos topic was in 2002, so after 3 years are there any new programs that can enlarge image without having it getting pixelated?

15 answers to this question

nope, its just not possible since there is a lack of pixel information when you enlarge a photo. hence, the existing pixels are extrapolated and pixelation occurs. best thing you could do is apply some sharpen or smoothing filters.

It's not possible with raster images (BMP, JPG, PNG, GIF, etc); you can do it with vector based images (SVG) though.

For raster, simply put, the data isn't there. If you have a 16x16px image, you have data describing what color each of the 256 pixels is. If you try to resize that image to 32x32, you can't just create new data. It just isn't there. Graphics programs try to guess, but the results are always blurry. The computer can't tell how the image is supposed to look, because there are many possible appearances, so the computer just guesses and creates a fuzzy average.

Those can go into so much information because they're taken at an insanely high resolution. If the satelite photos were taken at 320x240, you wouldn't like the larger pics.

Watching too much CSI. Tis funny when they take a low-res ATM security photo, enlarge 5 pixels, and somehow manage to extract a hi-res, smooth, photographic image of someone's face ...

Reminds me of a cartoon I saw recently ...

Reporter: I need this image photoshopped for the next editon.

IT guy: there's only two pixels ...

Reporter: I know! That's why I need it photoshopped!

IT guy: i can't get a picture out of 2 pixels!

Reporter: Yes you can. You take it into photoshop, and you photoshop it!

IT guy: it's impossible!

Reporter: God! Doesn't anyone know how to use photoshop around here!?!

Watching too much CSI. Tis funny when they take a low-res ATM security photo, enlarge 5 pixels, and somehow manage to extract a hi-res, smooth, photographic image of someone's face ...

Reminds me of a cartoon I saw recently ...

Reporter: I need this image photoshopped for the next editon.

IT guy: there's only two pixels ...

Reporter: I know! That's why I need it photoshopped!

IT guy: i can't get a picture out of 2 pixels!

Reporter: Yes you can. You take it into photoshop, and you photoshop it!

IT guy: it's impossible!

Reporter: God! Doesn't anyone know how to use photoshop around here!?!

586467412[/snapback]

lol, that happens on every TV show that involves examining images of suspects. they just drag a box over the face then it zooms in with that fancy animation and "seems" as if its "re-rendering" the photo.

yeah, its not gonna work.

one possibilty is to trace it to a vector (by hand or with a cut-out filter) but that will take a LONG time to do if your talking about a photo here.

Nope, can't be done. It's like re-encoding an mp3 from 64kbps to 320kbps thinking it's gonna have better quality.

586469261[/snapback]

ahhaha, that reminds me of a couple of people

one guy who was recording an 80kbps web stream to flac... hahahahaha.

and other guy who seems to thing mp3s are better quality than cds. what ###### :p

You can enlarge images in Photoshop with minor image issues if you increase the size by 10% at a time. It is in one of my Photoshop books that I have in my library. It isn't perfect, but it should do the trick for anything web based.

Again, this isn't perfect and it has its limits. Please keep this in mind and try it out to what suits you best.

You can enlarge images in Photoshop with minor image issues if you increase the size by 10% at a time. It is in one of my Photoshop books that I have in my library. It isn't perfect, but it should do the trick for anything web based.

586475099[/snapback]

that makes sense, though i dont think it would work VERY well, and would work better if you were going in increments of 2% - even though it would take ages