Opinions on the new Vista fonts . . .

For those of you who care about fonts in particular (like me), you are probably aware that Microsoft plans to essentially bundle some fonts with Vista that are meant to replace Arial, Georgia, Verdana, etc. They are meant to be the new standard, using the much-praised (some would call it groundbreaking) ClearType technology.

The fonts are:

Calibri (sans serif)

Cambria (serif)

Candara (sans serif)

Consolas (monosapce)

Constantia (serif)

Corbel (sans serif)

For detailed descriptions, go here:

http://spaces.msn.com/members/zinph/Blog/c...g!417.entry

I think they look quite good. Calibri looks warm and friendly, and makes for a beautiful system-wide font. Easily replaces Arial, which is basically a poor ripoff of Helvetica. I mean, I love Frutiger (an expensive, professional, revered typefce), but Calibri really challenges it. Constantia is a nice serif face, reminiscent of Georgia, but less bulky. Not in the league of Palatino, but still nice. Consolas actually makes a monospaced font look pleasant. Wow.

And yes, these fonts look just as good on paper. Why not try Constantia for your next report or memo?

These work in XP, of course, and are available now from various sources around the net. Google them.

Calibri alone makes the search worth it.

Edited by LTD

They are, along with at least a dozen other new fonts.

586413584[/snapback]

Never founded them in my installation :s

i think that they look good. i never really thought about how important a font is. i liked them all, but the authors favorite was mine also.

They are very nice. The only problem is they are so small in the windows themselves, you don't really see their shapes so all the fonts pretty much look the same.