Setting up *nix as a firewall/gateway !

Im looking into seeting a spare machine as Firewall/Gateway for my home. I have 4 Wired Connections and 3 Wireless connections. Im looking to useing linux as the OS but not haveing much luck on setting it. Other then downloading those pre-made distro's just for that. But they dont have everything im looking to run on it. I would also like to host a WebServer and MySQL on it for testing and maybe production. Any tips or help would greatly be appreciated. The Spare Machine is a P4 3.0 GHz with 4 Network Cards, 40 GB HardDrive, and 128 MB RAM. Also sorry if this is not in the right spot.

From the info you have given - I would say the clarkconnect distro would suite you just fine.. http://www.clarkconnect.com

It runs apache, can run mysql - plus anything else that would run on linux, etc..

I use to use it quite some time ago.. but have moved on to a more dedicated distro for the router/firewall/gateway functions - ipcop

But from what your asking - I would have to say clarkconnect is what your looking for.. I never had any problems running anything on it.. and it has a nice web interface, etc.. etc...

I run ClarkConnect now but alot of features are disabled due to only haveing the Home Version. I have many Linux Distro's on hand. Thats why i was looking to go that way and use something like IPTABLES. Just not to sure on it.

Um and what features do you believe are disabled due to the home version? What auto-updates, antivirus? You made no mentions of these types of things in your request ;)

You also did not say you were against purchase of anything - why not just buy the office/pro version of CC if want its features? The exact features you are looking for - might be helpful to us in pointing out the best way to accomplish what you want, but for now

If you want to roll your own router, then any distro will work just fine..

Here this should get you started;

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Firewall-HOWTO.html

This couldnt hurt;

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/

And since you mention iptables this might be helpful;

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HO...vs-ipfwadm.html

But CC does provide a webserver and mysql in the HOME version - which are the 2 items you requested ;)

Yes i know they are included but are there anyways to add modules for apache and/or have C++ make installed to compile modules if needed or anything of that nature. It just seems if i went with a linux distro i could add what ever i need very easy.

The Main things im looking for are Apache, PHP, MySQL, Anti-Virus, FTP, Mail, and maybe some other small things.

Yes i know they are included but are there anyways to add modules for apache and/or have C++ make installed to compile modules if needed or anything of that nature.

586435405[/snapback]

You can do whatever you want with CC.. its really just RHEL 4, you can install any rpms you want, you can install other apps, etc.. etc..

Apache modules will install just fine, you can install a compiler as well.. Im pretty sure they have some custom package you can add to install the developer stuff. I do believe its the cc-devel-3.1-14.i386.rpm Look on their ftp site..

But ANY Red Hat rpm that works on RHEL 4 will work..

I never liked their dns solution - so I would always just use a full version of bind, etc.. In a nut shell its a tweaked up distro of RHEL 4.. anything you could do with that - you can do with CC, etc.. What more could you want? ;)

Yes i just found out this morning after about 2 hours of searching that is just a tweaked RedHat. I found the devel suite to go with it and a couple other minor things. The only problem i have now is that WebMin reports it as CentOS but thats based off Redhat anyways. So i think ill do some experimenting with it and see what i can do with it. Thanks for all your help. :D

Which webmin? Their package - or one you installed? You do know you can change what webmin thinks is running on - in the webmin config.

I have not kept up with CC that much lately - since I no longer use it on my home network, so I do not get as much play time with it as I would like. But CC is based off the RHEL 4 "source" rpms.. which is what CentOS is, its the distro that RH made remove all ref to RH off their site, etc.. They now use the term "Prominent North American Enterprise Linux Vendor" :rofl:

There are quite a few distros based off the RHEL source -- whitebox comes to mind as another, etc.. Its still just a tweaked RH ;)

I installed the normal package from WebMin site, not from CC. But its strange that it thinks its that and when apt-get logins to the ources its username is RHEL-4. I was like um ok. I have it running pretty good now. Have TorrentFlux on it for D/l Opensource torrents. PHPMyAdmin, MySQL, APACHE all running and running smoothly. Also does anyone know of a PHP Script or Package that Shows System Info threw website. And also how to setup LMSensors or anything.

EDIT: One thing i forgot to ask does anyone know how to change anything or add anything to the WebConfig.

Does anyone have any clue how to get lm-sensors running on CC. I thought i have it but it does not report anything. And dureing boot there is one error about something not being in place.

EDIT: Also how to change the port number on Apache with out it causeing problems. My port 80 is blocked and want to change it to something not blocked.