Opera to be Free

arturogoga

yeah, you can enter the code anytime

Studio7designs
Will they give us a download link to Opera after getting the registration code or can I just download it now and enter the code when I get it?  I just wanna try it out for now.

586452176[/snapback]

YES YOU CAN REGISTER AT ANY TIME :)

OPERA ROCKS.. GO TRY IT

Guest sendmarksmail

You know what's odd, there are 4 arrows instead of 2. What gives? 2 Blue and 2 Green? What does each do color do different? Pretty cool so far.

Also how safe is it? As safe as Firefox or safer?

Keito

hmnm PDT is UTC - 7 and CEST = UTC + 2... so I have to substract 9 hours of my current time (8.41AM) and then I get 11.41PM on Tuesday (It's wednesday here)...

so I guess I'll be sending my emails?

arturogoga

You have your typical back, forward buttons.

The other two are rewind and fast forward.

With Rewind, you can jump back quickly to certain points in your browsing history. You can activate Rewind by pressing Shift+Z on your keyboard or clicking on the "Rewind" button in your Main toolbar. If this button is missing, you can find it in View > Customize toolbars. You can add the Rewind button to your toolbar by simply dragging it to where you would like to place it.

Fast Forward is a feature which lets you quickly access the next page in a series of pages, or log in using the Wand, simply by navigating forward.

Fast Forward tries to analyze a page and looks for links that will take you to the next page, for example after a search with Google with several pages of search results. It looks for certain patterns that indicate a "next" link, or uses "<link rel="next">" if it is defined in the page.

When the "Forward" Main bar icon changes to indicate "Next", you can click the "Next" button or use the keyboard shortcut or mouse gesture for going forward to access the next page.

Fast Forward will also be activated if you open a page which requires a username and password if you have previously used the Wand to save your login information. The "Forward" Main bar icon will change to "Log in", and clicking the "Log in" button or using the keyboard shortcut or mouse gesture for going forward will log you in.

Please note that Fast Forward does not use any external services to determine the next page. It only looks at the current page and tries to find things that indicate that there is a "next" page. It does not look it up from an external server or contact any site to get this info.

Fast Forward does not download anything before the user opens the next page.

Taken from Opera's help page ;)

As for the security question, yeah, it's as safe (if not safer), as Firefox. Never had any problems with it.

+unabatedshagie

From what I have heard they are going to be giving away ad-free versions of opera if you send an email to registerme@opera.com between 12 a.m. Tuesday and August 30 to 12 a.m.

I hope thats not the big suprize, I have already bought my copy :(

Guest sendmarksmail

Thanks arturogoga. Very helpful. I'm using the free version as of right now and so far it's like Firefox with more advanced features it seems. Is it safer? I like the fact that you can order that tabs the way you want. Just drag and drop. My only gripe is that you can't middle click the bookmarks to open them in a new tab like Firefox, but other than that, it's great. It uses less memory than Firefox, almost as much as Internet Explorer. I think I might switch between this and Firefox for a few more days to see which one I like most.

Guest sendmarksmail

12:01 AM, whose sending theirs now? I'll wait til 12:15 to make sure.

BeGiNnEr

I have sent mine, but no replies yet. I'm starting to think this might not be an automated system after all. :pinch:

Guest sendmarksmail

I'll go to sleep and check in the morning. If no reply, then I'll send another one just in case I guess. Good luck to all of you.

arturogoga
Thanks arturogoga.? Very helpful.? I'm using the free version as of right now and so far it's like Firefox with more advanced features it seems.? Is it safer?? I like the fact that you can order that tabs the way you want.? Just drag and drop.? My only gripe is that you can't middle click the bookmarks to open them in a new tab like Firefox, but other than that, it's great.? It uses less memory than Firefox, almost as much as Internet Explorer.? I think I might switch between this and Firefox for a few more days to see which one I like most.

586452288[/snapback]

you can actually customize the middle click to do anything you want it to do. The first time you click on a link with the middle button, it should pop up a question asking if you would like to enable middle click to open tabs in the background.

Also check out the help file on mouse gestures, it's one of the best things i:)Opera :) (enable them by performing a mouse gestures, such as holding the right mouse button and moving the mouse up to open a new page, or going to tools, preferences advanced, shortcuts, enable mouse gestures)

In that path (tools, preferences advanced, shortcuts) you can also modify, enable the middle mouse button behavior

EDIT: 2:15 EST, 12:15 PDT.Email sent. Hope I get my :)g key :)

Malisk
Is it safer?

I won't judge if it's "safer" or not, but it has no unfixed vulnerabilities, and any discovered ones has traditionally been fixed very rapidly. Safe enough, by far.

I like the fact that you can order that tabs the way you want.  Just drag and drop.

This is possible in Firefox nightlies too, and is a new feature for the upcoming Firefox 1.5.

Just a FYI. :)

zipgenius

Never ignore a free offer ;)

That's why I just sent the e-mail in (I am in Italy).

worbd
I can't see how they could go totally ad free - because then they basically can't sell the browser. And why would various companies pay them to work on the browser when it's free? We see how well Netscape did when they tried the whole sell related technologies to companies, give away the browser...

Firefox makes loads of money on Google searches. Why can't Opera?

Also, Netscape is irrelevant. It was crap when IE 4 came around to save us. The services sucked. Opera already has successful services - Opera Mini. It's basically an "online" browser. As in, the actual engine is on a server and the thing you download is just a dumb terminal client.

worbd
The surprise will be free opera browser for everyone that attends!

We can hope?  :p

586449069[/snapback]

Hehe, you were right?! :D

The_Decryptor

sent one, no replies, so i sent another one (from the webmail ui) just to be sure.

if i dont get anything by tonight, i'll send another one or two.

drgrudge

It's already available at download.com for free today!

Note: For one day only, you can get an ad-free version of Opera. Simply e-mail registerme@opera.com to obtain a registration code. This offer is valid from 12 a.m. Tuesday, August 30 to 12 a.m. Wednesday, August 31 2005 (PDT).

http://www.download.com/Opera/3000-2356_4-...tml?tag=nav_dir

Malisk
Online party? Thas a bit geeky :p

586448628[/snapback]

So...? :huh:

Bring it on, I say! :D

drgrudge

I posted at opera section, but I will post here too :D

Note: For one day only, you can get an ad-free version of Opera. Simply e-mail registerme@opera.com to obtain a registration code. This offer is valid from 12 a.m. Tuesday, August 30 to 12 a.m. Wednesday, August 31 2005 (PDT).

http://www.download.com/Opera/3000-2356_4-...tml?tag=nav_dir

AlexMagik

sent from different accounts, all delivered, bit no email back.. nothing..

but seems them email server is a bit overloaded, a couple of emails had to wait a few minutes beacuse them server didn't answer enough fast..

Si

Threads merged

dragon2611

sent email from serveral differnt accounts... so we will see what happens.

was there supposed to be anything in the email LOL cus i just sent a blank message figuring its some automated system.... :unsure:

tktino
Are Firefox browsers invited?  :shifty:

586448652[/snapback]

That was what i was think