[Shell Patcher] Inexperience

• 2 months later...
Very nice, thanks for this. Hopefully it'll see an update (mainly a bootscreen).

That would be wicked. I'm still using this pack.. I like the oldschool look ^_^

Very nice, thanks for this. Hopefully it'll see an update (mainly a bootscreen).
Indeed, that was one of the main things I'm working on. It needs some tweaks though, to make things as close to 2000y as possible - i.e., to get the caterpillar bar at the bottom where w2k has its progress bar, I'd have to do some hex editing that'd be hard to reproduce reliably.

a few years ago i was searching for this thing, now i axidently found it, great. I use Whistler build 2250's Professional theme, whith this patch it totally rocks!!

BUG REPORT: had to use original movie maker file from backup, because it gave an error - didn't find transitions & effects

Edited by capoguy

• 1 month later...

There are a handful of boot screen making programs that will let you move the progressbar whereever you want it, and remember it doesn't have to be a catipiller its just a bitmap!

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I've spun up a quick release, no changes aside from the filepicker dialogs on SP3.

Honestly, I'm kinda curious to know how many people still use this - as SP3 is likely to be the last new comctl32.dll for XP/2003, unless there's some kind of feature request, this is quite likely the last update this'll ever get.

* and if you're a double nutty lunatic, disable the User Accounts control panel and add an entry that starts Control Userpasswords2

How do you do that?!? That's brilliant!

How do you do that?!? That's brilliant!
I don't think this broke anything, back in the days when I used it:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 

;Adds Userpasswords2 to control panel
 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}]
 @="Users and Groups"
 "InfoTip"="Starts The Windows 2000 style User Accounts dialog"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}\DefaultIcon]
 @="%SystemRoot%\\\\System32\\\\shell32.dll,111"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}\Shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}\Shell\Open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}\Shell\Open\command]
 @="Control Userpasswords2"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}]
 @="Add Userpasswords2 to Control Panel"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\don't load]
 "nusrmgr.cpl"=""

• 2 weeks later...
probably the Change/Remove text, it should be buttons

That's not a problem with the patcher, that's a problem with not properly installed/uninstalled programs...

it also occurs with the buttons on the side of the dialog, and every installed program

Does it go away if you uninstall the pack?

I'm not sure what it could modify that would visually break things as much as you're describing and still leave a (mostly?) functional system...