[science]ozone layer is recovering

Ozone stabilization reported

BOULDER, Colo., Aug. 30 (UPI) -- A recent global study reportedly suggests the Earth's ozone is recovering, indicating an international ban on ozone-depleting chemicals is effective.

Researchers at the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences, located in Boulder, Colo., report finding the planet's ozone depletion rate leveled off between 1996 and 2002. The Boulder (Colo.) Daily Camera reported Tuesday.

Betsy Weatherhead, corresponding author of the study, told the newspaper: "That it hasn't gone down for the last eight years is a big deal. It's very hopeful."

However, she said it likely will take decades before the ozone layer recovers, and it may never stabilize at the levels measured prior to the mid-1970s, when it was determined human-produced chlorine and bromine compounds were destroying the Earth's ozone layer.

The team included researchers from the University of Colorado at Boulder, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the University of Wisconsin at Madison, the University of Chicago and the University of Illinois.

The study appears online in the Journal of Geophysical Research.

source

I don't know i always think that there is something fishy when such a report comes from America. I fear that the government might use it to justify their environment policy.

Don't get me wrong i think its nice that the depletetion rate goes not further down (its far from recovering), but there is still much work to on our sire and much on Americas site

Despite all the work that remains to be done, In the 70's CFCs were banned in America, leaded gasoline eliminated, as well legislation passed mandating the use of catalyic converters in all automobiles. We're starting the to see the benefits of these and other policies...

These "Studies" always make me laugh.

I wish I could just make up crap and get away with it.

As if the Ozone layer would start to recover in 10 years. Supposedly, it takes 30 years for the CFCs to reach the ozone layer (assuming of course that's true) then the Ozone layer will start getting "better" in about 2020.

Sounds like someone is fudging data and jumping to conclusions.

It would be nice if the Ozone layer was repairing itself..but it's doubtful.

They're trying the best and its nice to hear that its recovering.

586455038[/snapback]

I agree with its NICE but i dont think humans are doing the best possible....

cause they could ban gas and make all hydrogen vehicles but its cost crazy to devlop and put stations it can be dont NOW but its not....

but look forward to a clean future i hope

I wonder if this 'stabilization' was taken into account a few days ago where scientists warned/hypothesized that within 100 years, Antartica will be ice-free in the summers.

I don't know i always think that there is something fishy when such a report comes from America. I fear that the government might use it to justify their environment policy.

586455055[/snapback]

You can't lump every statement from "America" as orginiating from the government. Out of the 6 orginizations contributing to the report, 5 were state universities. This is coming from the same academic community that makes up the President's "National Science Advisory" who told him that the recent energy bill needed to press for further gas efficiency than what was signed into law.

No offence to you personally, but I get really irritated when other's think that any everyone in this country is Bush's mouthpiece. Wheither you support him or not, it simply doesn't work that way.

You can't lump every statement from "America" as orginiating from the government. Out of the 6 orginizations contributing to the report, 5 were state universities. This is coming from the same academic community that makes up the President's "National Science Advisory" who told him that the recent energy bill needed to press for further gas efficiency than what was signed into law.

No offence to you personally, but I get really irritated when other's think that any everyone in this country is Bush's mouthpiece. Wheither you support him or not, it simply doesn't work that way.

586455098[/snapback]

I didn't mean to offend you or any American so to speak. But as i said i only fear that the government might use it. As somebody else above said i just hope this survey won't be used as an excuse to pollute more.

I didn't question your political view. Its allright to be pro Bush, its allright to be against him.

Perhaps we should drop this before its get to political (at least in this thread; feel free to pm me)

I didn't mean to offend you or any American so to speak. But as i said i only fear that the government might use it. As somebody else above said i just hope this survey won't be used as an excuse to pollute more.

I didn't question your political view. Its allright to be pro Bush, its allright to be against him.

Perhaps we should drop this before its get to political (at least in this thread; feel free to pm me)

586455250[/snapback]

No, it's fine, and my apoligies, I just get apprehensive when everything gets attributed to "The Government".

This study, while I do not doubt it's authencity, does have a danger as you stated, since energy lobbies frequently use studies such as these in order to ward off legislation that would mandate costly emissions safeguards. I feel as though your concern is totally justified.

I think however that because it seems to be so strongly assumed that it was reductions in the first place that caused this leveling, that the current restrictions and banned materials will remain in place. They also showed that it is not recovering yet, and the fact that it hasn't even started returning to pre-1970 levels can be seen as justification for further cuts.

Or at least, I hope.

If all vehicles ran on hydrogen, would it actually help anything? I mean.. there still has to be electricity to seperate the oxygen and hydrogen in water.. and that electricity will probably come from fossil feul plants.

if nuclear power was the mainstream source of energy then maybe completely converting to hydrogen would make more sense, but for now it really wouldnt help that much. correct me if i'm wrong, this is just my guess.

If all vehicles ran on hydrogen, would it actually help anything? I mean.. there still has to be electricity to seperate the oxygen and hydrogen in water.. and that electricity will probably come from fossil feul plants.

586455329[/snapback]

That's an often-stated, and correct, point.

I agree with the autheticity of this report,these results come from previous enviormental regulations,cathalytic converters used through years by now,we can also include industrial regultaions for toxic emissions,the change to nuclear energy,and in a very minor grade,the use of solar and wind energy solutions

it's about time to see the result of this :)

a different tone in this article posted yesterday......so who do you really believe.

Widening ozone hole is as big as Europe

Tue Aug 30,10:30 AM ET

PARIS (AFP) - The seasonal ozone hole over Antarctica has widened sharply this year, making it the biggest hole since 2000 and the third largest on record, according to measurements reported by the European Space Agency (ESA).

Data sent back ESA's Earth-monitoring satellite Envisat showed the hole had swollen to an area of 10 million square kilometers (3.86 million miles) in mid-August, approximately the same size as Europe.

The hole is likely to expand further before reaching its maximum in September, ESA said in a press release.

"This year's hole is large for this time of year, based on results from the last decade. Only the ozone holes of 1996 and 2000 had a larger area at this point in their development," it said.

article continues.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/environmenthea...HNlYwMlJVRPUCUl