Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic Review

ZipZoomFly has it on back-order for $119.99 with free 2nd day shipping... im just waiting until they get their shipment in ... thats the cheapest i can find right now. im not paying $130 + tax in the store, id rather wait for $120

I think I wait a few months before I buy this card, It aint such a big omprovement after the audigy 2ZS, So Ill wait till the next gen of audio devices comes along, and also I might want to wait till I get some nice 5.1 speakers, I am 2.1 for now :p

What I really really really want to know is...

If I plug a Dolbly Digital source like my Xbox into the S/PDIF in on one of these, will it decode it and output it to the speakers?

The Audigy 2 ZS can't do that... it will only decode DD from a DVD, not from an external source. The S/PDIF input on all of the Audigy cards can only take PCM stereo data.

• 2 weeks later...
How does Crystallizer compare to the Noise Sharpening foobar plugin?

586544152[/snapback]

hmm i'll do a comparison of both and get back to you (its 12am right now so can't really blast the speakers can i :laugh: )

i currently have a Live! 5.1 Platinum.... am i really going to notice the difference if i upgrade?

586548582[/snapback]

well i had an audigy 2zs and i noticed a significant difference for music, some difference for movies and less for games (because there's no EAX 5 content yet). you'd benefit the most if you don't have high end speakers.

DFX (Winamp): Bass doesn't have as good "kick" and becomes distorted/muddy. The clarity isn't as good and the sound becomes hollow. Hidden details do not come out as well.

Noise Sharpening (foobar2000): It only affects the higher range and leaves the mid range and low range untouched so i can't really compare it. All i can say is the sound becomes too treblely but if you have some plugins for the mid and lower range and adjust it just right then it may sound similar.

All of them were tested at half the maximum to prevent distortion and tested on my in-ear phones and at low-mid levels on my speakers.

Oh yeah just to add on, i read somewhere that the X-Fi's Crystallizer processes sound the same way as some software which i'm led to believe now because there's noticeable distortion from the bass (at 30% and higher on a particular song) on my good speakers/earphones. But on my cheaper surround sound kit and cheap headphones the distortion isn't apparent unless i turn it up to very high levels. So if you've got good speakers its not recommended. EQ settings would be better because you can adjust the full spectrum.

I think I'll wait for the X-Fi 338584837374 EX ZS Gold Platinum diamond. I'm bitter beacause they're already letting us Audigy 2zs users out to sea and abandoning new driver support ALREADY! So look forward to that in 6 months :).

Good review though!

i just got my xtrememusic last week... i was blown away... i upgraded from an sblive! card and i have a pretty good set of Klipsch 2.1s. incredible. i play my mp3s and dvds at 100% crystalizer and 60% CMSS-3D. so awesome.

I think I'll wait for the X-Fi 338584837374 EX ZS Gold Platinum diamond.  I'm bitter beacause they're already letting us Audigy 2zs users out to sea and abandoning new driver support ALREADY! So look forward to that in 6 months :).

586548948[/snapback]

Exactly, just as they did with the Audigy and SB!Live, etc. Their driver support is downright atrocious, hence why the kxproject drivers are so successful.

I'm gonna get either Fatal1ty or Elite pro, what would you chose?

586549895[/snapback]

As for the Fatal1ty and Elite Pro I would be careful. If you are wanting them for serious audio recording then Creative Labs have a very bad record there so I'd recommend cards like the EMU 1212M or 1820 (EMU is owned by Creative but run as a separate company - they designed the SB!Live and Audigy chipsets but their own range is far superior), though they're not great for gaming. If you are most interested in gaming and multimedia then go for the X-Fi Fatal1ty, as that looks the best value/performance for the top-range cards.

I think I wait a few months before I buy this card, It aint such a big omprovement after the audigy 2ZS, So Ill wait till the next gen of audio devices comes along, and also I might want to wait till I get some nice 5.1 speakers, I am 2.1 for now :p

586481599[/snapback]

i currently have a Live! 5.1 Platinum.... am i really going to notice the difference if i upgrade?

586548582[/snapback]

you do relize the XFi cards have been in the makeing for 5 years and that they have the procceser power of a 3.4ghz procceser in soud proccesing and so the imprivments in quality should be Big and also to note evan if you dont see a FPS differance in games but it stays the same FPS with everything in sound turned up the Xfi can sastian a constant FPs comapred to the SBA2 from what i have seen. also your SBlive 5.1 is older 16bit codecs this si the area of Full 24bit sound technolagy go for the upgrade

should make note that the XFi has 10,000+ mips of porccesing power the SBA2, has between 500 and 1200 maxx so big differ