The OFFICIAL Windows 2000 SP3 Thread

where can i get windows 2000 service pack 3.

i have looked on the ms site but their is just too much crap to sift through.

anybody know of a direct link??

:knocked-o

I am a beta tester for Win2k SP3 and yes it's in it's RC (Release Candidate) stage. The current build is 3.140 and if you guys would like it, email me at michael1813@hotmail.com. Also specify if you would like the Network or Express installer.

[edit]Or if you like, I could send you the SP3 ISO [/edit]

Just read this over at OSnews (www.osnews.com). Apparently SP3 for Win2k will be delayed "indefinately" because there are security problems with Windows Installer 2.0. The full article is on wininformant http://www.wininformant.com/Articles/Index...ArticleID=25802

Sigh. I was waiting for SP3 to come out so that I could remove XP and reinstall a more stable Win2k. Guess I'll have to wait longer now.

Here are the lists of fixes in SP3:

RC Bug Fix List

Beta Bug Fix List

[edit]And here are the Release Notes in case anyone is bored[/edit]

If you would like me to send you SP3, contact me via MSN/AIM (look in sig) and ill hook ya up. The options are: Express Install (618KB,) Network Install (123MB,) and finally the SP3 CD ISO (212MB.) All files mentioned are version 3.140 which is Release Candidate.

It's been delayed indefinately because of a security problem with Windows Installer 2.0 that the Service Pack installs.

There are obviously problems with the test builds so why don't you wait for it to be released instead of hosing your system.

You can't upgrade to the Gold Service Pack from a beta build anyway; you need to go a clean install.

Originally posted by superrcat

It's been delayed indefinately because of a security problem with Windows Installer 2.0 that the Service Pack installs.

There are obviously problems with the test builds so why don't you wait for it to be released instead of hosing your system.

You can't upgrade to the Gold Service Pack from a beta build anyway; you need to go a clean install.

true but i have a ghost image saved on cd so it really doesnt matter.....besides....the windows installer version 2.0 wasnt included in the rc 3.140 build was it?

If you folks are looking for SP3 RC 3.140, ask me for the FTP address. You folks already know the drill by now since I posted the announcement earlier.

Originally posted by Webgraph

If you folks are looking for SP3 RC 3.140, ask me for the FTP address. You folks already know the drill by now since I posted the announcement earlier.

Same goes here, msg me for my address and ill get ya all set.

Originally posted by thingsforjason

and i read this a while ago over on neowin.net :)

https://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=5391...1&category=main

Gets reading glasses..... Yeah sorry, I realised this shortly after I posted. I skimmed the new headlines and seemed to have missed it.

While SP2 is stable, I find there are some small nuisance bugs that were getting on my nerves. I hope they're fixed in SP3. As well, I'll be able to get rid of links to IE and Media Player. Personally I prefer Mozilla for browsing and e-mail and Real Player and WinDVD for video. I don't need the MS replacements for these apps.

Originally posted by azazel-

I thought XP was 2k sp3. ;)

j/k

Actually, XP *is* 2k with SP2 (or 3 but its not out yet). You just have to throw in the eye candy and the annoying thinks MS decided to throw in. One reason, when SP3 comes out, I'm going back to Win2K.

Originally posted by DrunkenMaster

Actually, XP *is* 2k with SP2 (or 3 but its not out yet). You just have to throw in the eye candy and the annoying thinks MS decided to throw in. One reason, when SP3 comes out, I'm going back to Win2K.

I am to, there is a few improvments in XP, But I prefer 2000 (with sp3) stilll :)

There are a lot of improvements in Windows XP that are not in Windows 2000 besides eye candy, but this is a Windows 2000 thread, so I'm not going to bother listing everything.

Is the latest Windows 2000 SP3 build still RC 3.140? If it's more recent, please message me the link so I can update my copy of it!

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Webgraph

Is the latest Windows 2000 SP3 build still RC 3.140? If it's more recent, please message me the link so I can update my copy of it!

Thanks in advance.

Yes, 3.140 is the latest version released to testers, but there has been talk that microsoft may have internally released 3.149.

so how stable is the latest build of sp3 anyway?

i have sp2 right now and thinking of upgrading to sp3... is it so unstable that it may cause me to reformat my system?

3.140 is VERY stable for me.

altho win2k is stable with sp2

i guess theres no real difference cept for that configure programs thing like XP's sp1 has :D