Linspire 5.0 is now *FREE* ~till Sept 6, 2005

It's real nice that it's "free"...except for the fact that you have to yearly subscription to update it properly.

That's not exactly free.

Other than that....it's nice to look at.

might try this out on my laptop.

Cheers for the heads up.

It does have live cd funtionality, read step 2. part 4.

Once you've got the install CD, you'll be able to run Linspire from that CD without installing to a hard drive (we call this running in "Live CD" mode), or you can install to a partition.

Nice find!

Linspire isn't a distro I would recommend to many, but it does come with a LOT "out of the box", and makes every effort for users to never have to use the command line or edit text files.

Nice find!

Linspire isn't a distro I would recommend to many, but it does come with a LOT "out of the box", and makes every effort for users to never have to use the command line or edit text files.

586464418[/snapback]

what would you recommend?

Once you've got the install CD, you'll be able to run Linspire from that CD without installing to a hard drive (we call this running in "Live CD" mode), or you can install to a partition.

586464408[/snapback]

ya, you can run the installabe version as live cd as well

LinspireLive! (the live cd, non-installable version of Linspire) has been made "free" by Linspire for some time, via bittorrent anyway

http://media.linspire.com/cnr_linspirelive/index.html

I find it amusing that the company that tried to piggyback on the Windows name with "Lindows" is all flustered that someone tried to do the same with "Freespire".

Well, if you are adventureous enough..you can use apt-get, and install synaptic, and not use CnR to update your system, but they don't support it. Basically all Linspire is basically, is a powered up Debian.

I'm so lucky this week! Free Opera, then Free Linspire in the same week!!!

:jump: :jump: :jump:

Well, if you are adventureous enough..you can use apt-get, and install synaptic, and not use CnR to update your system, but they don't support it. Basically all Linspire is basically, is a powered up Debian.

I'm so lucky this week! Free Opera, then Free Linspire in the same week!!!

:jump:  :jump:  :jump:

586464645[/snapback]

yup, you can install deb packages instead of using their cnr service

whatz next?

i m guessin a free public beta of Vista or Tiger x86 :p

I tried Linspire a few months back and really didn't like it all. It felt very cluttered and sluggish and way too many "BUY ME!" elements all over it. But, to each his/her own, there is never harm in trying something new. It was just too busy for me.

They did this about 6 months ago too. I installed it and was really impressed with its ability to get my network working, sound, video etc all straight out of the box. I don't know why windows can't do that.

This question remains though:

I have Mandriva set up to my liking - is it worth me loosing that to try this just because something that would cost $50 is now free?

Ok, so would actually do a drive image so I don't loose my sexy Mandriva set up...but is it worth the hassle? :p

This question remains though:

I have Mandriva set up to my liking - is it worth me loosing that to try this just because something that would cost $50 is now free?

Ok, so would actually do a drive image so I don't loose my sexy Mandriva set up...but is it worth the hassle? :p

586464718[/snapback]

you can test-drive it by running as live-cd

:D

If you are happy with any other Linux distro, I would not recommend Linspire. It takes all the "Linux" out of Linux.

you can test-drive it by running as live-cd

That's a good point :D I think I'll give the live-cd a go, then if I feel like messing up mandriva I'll give linspire a go.

One problem though, what was that about paying yearly subscriptions that someone posted? Linspire's site is useless.

i don think downloading that "real free linspire" is a good thing to do . why they share the 50 dollar cost thing???? everthing happens for a reason, but, the problem here is what is the reason?

How funny! At my 20 year reunion we all discovered that the resident geek of the high school back in 1985 had been, indeed, the founder of Linspire. Michael Robertson is now worth 330 million bucks, and still showed up. I couldn't stop laughing that he was responsible for this mess up of linux. I personally hate it.

Free aint cheap enough.

Mark, whould you kindly explain what you mean by It takes the "Linux" out of Linux.

586464775[/snapback]

It does everything for you (at least the older 4.5 version I tried did). You didn't learn anything about doing things the *nix way. Part of what I liked about Linux is learning a new Operating System, and learning to administer it properly. If Linspire still uses the default account with root permissions, they have removed another great feature heavily indoctrined in learning Linux: separation of user and administrator accounts/permissions.

For a mom & pop user who wants to get away from the slowdowns and malware of Windows, Linspire isn't a bad choice. They won't have to re-learn much at all. But for someone wanting "Linux", this isn't my first recommendation at all.

How funny! At my 20 year reunion we all discovered that the resident geek of the high school back in 1985 had been, indeed, the founder of Linspire.  Michael Robertson is now worth 330 million bucks, and still showed up.  I couldn't stop laughing that he was responsible for this mess up of linux.  I personally hate it.

Free aint cheap enough.

586464811[/snapback]

i was wonderin whatz the marketshare of Linspire, Linux(+BSD) as a whole to the total # of desktop users??