Linspire 5.0 is now *FREE* ~till Sept 6, 2005

Ah screw it. Their site is being painfully slow.

586464812[/snapback]

You can register/qualify for the free Linspire now, and download it anytime in the future (a week, month or year). No need to try to download it now, unless you really wanted a copy to try today.

EDIT:

i was wonderin whatz the marketshare of Linspire, Linux(+BSD) as a whole to the total # of desktop users??

586464842[/snapback]

Overall *nix desktop usage is very low (est 2% by some agencies: Gartner, IDC, and such). Individual distros would be a small and hard to measure fragment of that.

You can register/qualify for the free Linspire now, and download it anytime in the future (a week, month or year). No need to try to download it now, unless you really wanted a copy to try today.

That's part of the problem. The actual site is going VERY slow. It kept timing out just trying to add it to my basket, never mind about putting in the coupon code or anything :p

It does everything for you (at least the older 4.5 version I tried did).  You didn't learn anything about doing things the *nix way.  Part of what I liked about Linux is learning a new Operating System, and learning to administer it properly.  If Linspire still uses the default account with root permissions, they have removed another great feature heavily indoctrined in learning Linux: separation of user and administrator accounts/permissions.

For a mom & pop user who wants to get away from the slowdowns and malware of Windows, Linspire isn't a bad choice.  They won't have to re-learn much at all.  But for someone wanting "Linux", this isn't my first recommendation at all.

586464806[/snapback]

thank you, thank you THANK YOU. That is whats the best thing about *nix is learning it, i know I wouldn't want an OS to be too easy, i feel that i have reached taht level of Computing where i actully want to know tht when i do something i'd like to know how that is done, not just done.

I don't take my car to a mechanic if i know i can fix it myself, and i am not to sure i will try first before actually sending it to a mechanic.

Overall *nix desktop usage is very low (est 2% by some agencies: Gartner, IDC, and such).?  Individual distros would be a small and hard to measure fragment of that.

586464845[/snapback]

Thanks

if you count Apple Mac OS X as a *NIX distro, the total *NIX desktop share would be sth around 3.X ~ 5%+

Do I have to apply a coupon code?  Or will it still say Sub Total   

$49.95 

Discount Total    $0.00 

Total    $49.95 

?

586464904[/snapback]

You have to enter FREESPIRE as the coupon code

doesn't work for me, all i get is this message:

Coupon freespire expired on Aug 30, 2005 11:51 AM PST and is no longer valid

-andy-

586464931[/snapback]

Same here :( .

Since they are giving it for free...Does that make it right to get it from other sources?

:ninja: Please dont warn me :ninja: Honest question

Same here  :( .

Since they are giving it for free...Does that make it right to get it from other sources?

:ninja: Please dont warn me :ninja:  Honest question

586464949[/snapback]

I would think it was ok to get it from other places. But ommmm dont quote me on it.

Good question.  I am not a part of the Linspire Legal Team, so I can't answer that question with any authority.

However, my gut feel is that it would be illegal in the same vein that it is illegal to download a copy of XP from a torrent just because your CD is scratched and damaged.

:unsure:

586464972[/snapback]

Wait a min its actually illegal to download XP even if you own it? So pay shipping for new cd and done? Hmm I gotta back up my XP oem cd in that case...thank you dell!

I also get the expiration error message... is it simply to help their poor servers temporarily due to high demand? or are they really ending the promotion earlier than stated?

I just looked it up on a torrent site, its there. named: Freespire 5.0

Its just over 315MB's, the normal Linspire was about 650MB's. I think seeing its free. They have made some changes. i.e left most things out lol. well thats a bright idea. NOT

Same here  :( .

:ninja: Please dont warn me :ninja:  Honest question

586464949[/snapback]

Good question. I am not a part of the Linspire Legal Team, so I can't answer that question with any authority.

However, my gut feel is that it would be illegal in the same vein that it is illegal to download a copy of XP from a torrent just because your CD is scratched and damaged.

:unsure:

I also get the expiration error message... is it simply to help their poor servers temporarily? or are they really ending the promotion ealier than stated?

586464968[/snapback]

I guess it is a server/coupon error. Send a message/email to their feedback or contact people, and it should get resolved.

586464971[/snapback]

Freespire is not Linspire. Freespire is no longer called by that name to avoid this sort of confusion, and the product it was/is does not contain the propriatary or licensed add-ins that cannot be freely copied and distributed.

P.S. Man, this is an active thread! :blink:

586464949[/snapback]

No, they will send you a receipt / license to your email to "legally" grant you the right to download & use its software

Its just over 315MB's, the normal Linspire was about 650MB's. I think seeing its free. They have made some changes. i.e left most things out lol. well thats a bright idea. NOT

586464971[/snapback]

Freespire is (WAS) *NOT* Linspire. The new name of "Freespire" is Squiggle, to avoid confusion with Linspire, according to Andrew Betts of Freespire/Squiggle.

"Freespire is a Linux distribution based on the freely available source code from Linspire. It comes with a repository of 1500+ software packages available via apt-get or any other package manager."

"The author of this distribution has informed us that due to "problems with this distribution" it is no longer available."

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=freespire

The title says that this is free untill Sept. 6th, but the cupon "FREESPIRE" is expired... is there another code we should be using?

586464991[/snapback]

I got that same error. :(