Apple Cancels 30-Day Mac Mini Promo

Less than one day after announcing that purchasers of a Mac Mini can return the system within 30 days for a full refund, Apple has quietly pulled the plug on the promotion. It's not clear why the offer was removed, but as of Thursday morning there was no trace of its existence.

The promotion was being offered solely through Apple's online store, and was seemingly aimed at attracting Windows users who may be hesitant about switching platforms. "We?re so confident you'll love your new Mac mini, we'll let you test drive it for 30 days with no risk," the promotion said.

Apple said the Mac Mini and accessories such as a keyboard and mouse must be returned "in their original, unmarked packaging, including any accessories, manuals, documentation, and registration cards that shipped with them" for a full refund.

It's unlikely that Apple was overwhelmed with refunds after one day, but some speculated that the promotion might have gone live without proper executive approval. Apple sales personnel confirmed the deal was dropped, but had no information as to why.

The Mac Mini debuted in January with a price tag of $499 USD at the low end. The system was targeted at potential Mac converts who were hesitant to purchase an expensive G5 Power Mac. Users can plug in their own monitor and keyboard, keeping costs low.

October 31 was the originally scheduled cut-off date for the promotion.

Source: BetaNews

Yeah, I just read this over at Engadget. Pretty weird.

On a side note, I'm loving my first Mac, a brand new iBook I bought a couple days ago. So much more streamlined and thoughtout than Windows. Although I'm most definitely keeping my Windows machine for gaming. ;)

Hopefully Apple will still honor the promotion to those who decided to purchase a mini yesterday... I wonder what could be the problem... being the cynic I am, I think apple 'bit off more than they could chew' and falled back on their offer. Not very professional imo.