High Definition DVD Players and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray

What will you do when HD-DVD/Blu-Ray becomes available?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What will you do when HD-DVD/Blu-Ray becomes available?

• Buy new player and rebuy all my old DVDs.
    • Buy new player, but keep my old DVD player and DVDs.
    • Buy new player, but only if it up-converts my DVDs to HD.
    • Screw HD-DVD/Blu-Ray! I'll stick with my DVDs thank you!
    • I'm still using Betamax!

In early 2006, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray formats should be released to the masses. For a lot of people, this means going out and rebuying all those movies you already have on DVD (same as DVD replacing LaserDisc). Since HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will most likely incorporate the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec, the quality should be quite amazing since DVD still uses MPEG-2.

Just a couple days ago, I purchased the LG LDA-531 High Definiton DVD player. The player claimed to up convert all DVDs to 720p or 1080i. I hooked it up to my HDTV and I was blown away! The difference in quality from 480p to 720p is amazing. The 1080i setting was even better! The player was able to up convert every DVD I had. I am now curious with regards to the difference between High Definition DVD players that up-convert the signal to true HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players.

I hope HD-DVD or Blu-Ray is smart enough to create a player that will up-convert DVDs for as I think this would be a huge selling point. But in the end, I will not be rushing out to buy HD-DVD or Blu-Ray for as I am very happy with my High Definition DVD player.

Anyone else have an opinion?

I just wish they would finsh all this business and release the new standard. I want my stuff in as high of a quality as I can get... :yes:

When doing the "up-converts" wouldn't it blur the video?

586476796[/snapback]

Upconverting is a lost cause. True HD is the way to go.

When doing the "up-converts" wouldn't it blur the video?

586476796[/snapback]

Not really... for example the chip that is built inside my high definition DVD player uses a special chip to up-convert the image. The chip in my player is called the FLI2301. You can read some info on what this chip does from the web site below:

FLI2301 Datasheet

I will buy one....if the new generation of dvd players can play later generation dvds; If not its useless... they have to be backwards compatible... it would be suicide for companies not to incorporate all previous generations.

Hmm, in that case. Change my choice from "Buy new player, but keep my old DVD player and DVDs." to "Buy new player, but only if it up-converts my DVDs to HD."

After looking at some sites discussing HD-DVD, it looks like HD-DVD players will support the older DVD format. But, there is no mention with regards to up converting the DVD format with these players. If these players will be able to up convert older DVDs, then I think this will be a HUGE selling point and HD-DVD could very well defeat Blu-Ray.

I'm not that interested. Most people don't have HDTVs and the ones who do can just by an upcoverter. I doubt the difference between an upconverted DVD and an HD-DVD is really worth buying all my movies all over again. Plus, I don't even have an HDTV yet.

The HD-DVD and Blue-Ray movies probably won't catch on for at least 3 or 4 years like DVD. I doubt they will catch on immediately like UMD(The movie format for PSP).

I doubt they will catch on immediately like UMD(The movie format for PSP).

586484579[/snapback]

I think the only reason why UMD movies are selling left and right is the lack of (good) games for the PSP...

I don't have a DVD player that up-scales to HD formats, but my Xbox does (got to love XBMC).. I watched Sin City the other day in 1080i and my jaw dropped to the floor, it looked great.

Anyways before my quick snafu there, I will be buying a new Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player, but probably won't be switching all my current media. Some of my movies have a source that looks like crap, like Highlander or Rambo: First Blood, and all the money and upconverting in the world won't get a true HD look from these movies. Now movies that I bought after HD was standard like Sin City I might.