IPB flaw!

Question

Danellis

This has to be the strangest thing!

On my forum where I'm using the unlimited trial, I just decided to randomly put in a registration code and see what happens. Well I put in a code and suddenly I got "Registration Successful!" I then though "whoa! What the!" so I decided to try the copyright removal. Did that and it worked too! I then decided to try IP Chat and sure enough, that worked too!

The reason I'm posting this is because I'm a large supporter of IPS and want to remove the "registered to:" line and add back the copyright. I don't want to get in trouble for doing anything illegal but I have no idea what I should do :pinch:

Should I go to IPS and tell them about this? :unsure:

Thanks,

Dan

P.S. If you want proof, go to www.fusiongfx.net and scroll right to the bottom!

.Brien

Ummm.... I think IPB should try and fix this for the final release o_O....

MrMB

I think you'll find that you're using a patched version of the board that will activate if you put anything in the reg code box. Also if you add ?ipscheck=1 at the end of your URL then it'll return the code you entered. Hence Code reds amazing guesswork.

texdragon

What do you mean of "Patched version" I got it from IPS along time ago.....

MrMB

Sorry I'm a bit confused. What version are we talking about. Did you just download the 2.0.4 trial and enter a random reg code?

Mx
I think you'll find that you're using a patched version of the board that will activate if you put anything in the reg code box. Also if you add ?ipscheck=1 at the end of your URL then it'll return the code you entered. Hence Code reds amazing guesswork.

586481920[/snapback]

Wrong. I have 2.1 RC1, Legal Copy I am a license owner. And it works here too.

texdragon

I have the old 2.0.0 Trial, and after reading the first post, I tried it. It worked.

MrMB

Can I ask which version you're using Joel.

texdragon

I was reading the IPS forums. some guy did it on 2.1 RC1.

Joel
Can I ask which version you're using Joel.

586481977[/snapback]

Test board Invision Power Board v2.0.2 ? 2005 IPS, Inc.

caerma

Holly cow...

Answers to what? You got a feature for free, lucky you.

Agree. :p

If the above solution doesn't work for you - please sumbit a new support request from the client area for assistance with this for those people who are licensed users - I'm afraid that we're unable to provide detailed support to un-licensed boards on here.

:rolleyes:

Edited by caerma
Mx
I was reading the IPS forums. some guy did it on 2.1 RC1.

586481981[/snapback]

Yea, same thing here on my RC1, legal copy.

texdragon

Welp, they locked the topic. Unless they make a big deal.. owell.

MrMB

This is very odd. I'm suprised he IPS guys aren't more bothered about this. Do they still offer the 2.0.4 limited trial and if so has anyone tried it with that.

Mx

I told my contact(s) at Invision Power about the flaw. Will post here when I received a reply.

DomZ

It's the new type of copyright protection. The "placebo". They say it needs a valid registration key, so your brain assumes it will only activate if you got a legit one.

Nah only joking :p

dragon2611

interstingly there is no longer a trail download on the invision board site. instead you get to trail a hosted board :blink:

MrMB

Then maybe they discovered this a while ago.

Mx
Then maybe they discovered this a while ago.

586482034[/snapback]

They wouldn't of taken thing down because of it. If they had taken down for that reason, they would of patched instead.

MrMB

Fair point but then again maybe it's something that's to hard to patch or not worth patching. This is a very odd find.

Mx
Fair point but then again maybe it's something that's to hard to patch or not worth patching. This is a very odd find.

586482053[/snapback]

They'd be able to patch it easy. Not why they haven't obviously old code gone forgotten.

Chris123NT

I just did this on my site and well, no more copyright. Legit copy running 2.1 RC1.

Corona

Great after Opera everyone starts giving free licenses yay! lol

Tomi

Is it just me or is this topic against the rules, as it is talk of circumvention...

And btw, just because you have your 'fake' code entered, doesn't mean IPS won't nail you for piracy, or whatever it would be.

kiall
Is it just me or is this topic against the rules, as it is talk of circumvention...

And btw, just because you have your 'fake' code entered, doesn't mean IPS won't nail you for piracy, or whatever it would be.

586484519[/snapback]

yup they will hunt u down ,but u may say it licensed but u dont get any update or that