IPB flaw!

Question

Danellis

This has to be the strangest thing!

On my forum where I'm using the unlimited trial, I just decided to randomly put in a registration code and see what happens. Well I put in a code and suddenly I got "Registration Successful!" I then though "whoa! What the!" so I decided to try the copyright removal. Did that and it worked too! I then decided to try IP Chat and sure enough, that worked too!

The reason I'm posting this is because I'm a large supporter of IPS and want to remove the "registered to:" line and add back the copyright. I don't want to get in trouble for doing anything illegal but I have no idea what I should do :pinch:

Should I go to IPS and tell them about this? :unsure:

Thanks,

Dan

P.S. If you want proof, go to www.fusiongfx.net and scroll right to the bottom!

Tomi

Yeah. Just because your board says it's "licensed", it doesn't mean that you'll get all benifits of an actual customer.

ForumWhore

There's only one way for a board to be licensed, you have to PAY!

You can write in any crap you like, and get it to say what you like, the fact is, it's not a registered legal copy.

IPB can tell if a board is registered, they keep RECORDS.

:)

Danellis

You can write in any crap you like, and get it to say what you like, the fact is, it's not a registered legal copy.

586489262[/snapback]

Yeah but I also removed the copyright line without paying and got IP chat without paying :pinch:

ForumWhore

It doesn't matter what you did, if IPB checks up on you they will know.

ForumWhore
Yeah but I also removed the copyright line without paying and got IP chat without paying  :pinch:

586489343[/snapback]

98BGF

Joel

586489262[/snapback]

The point isn't really if it's legit or not, but why there's no key check. It's much easier to find a board that's not regged if the board itself tells you so. This flaw removes that possibility by saying it's registered.

Sean B.

Has IPS responded to anyones report yet? Has anyone gotten contacted for using this flaw?

Danellis
Has IPS responded to anyones report yet? Has anyone gotten contacted for using this flaw?

586512311[/snapback]

Well as I said earlier in the thread, I made a post on the IPS forums. One of their staff members suggested I did something however when I reported back that it didn't work, they deleted my thread.

As for those who keep saying that IPS can still check.... I know that they can still tell if I have bought it however I still have the use of IP chat without paying plus I've removed the copyright without paying. Technically I've had benefit from all this without paying and it shouldn't be possible.

@tm?: Actually the purpose of this thread wasn't to tell everyone about this problem, it was actually to ask for advise on what people suggested I should do.

roosevelt

I don't think you should use that random serial number. Because when IPS checks, they usually verify the serial number found using the ipscheck=1 function. So, if they see you are using a different serial number than the one you should register with you will get black-listed.

Fr3d
I've removed the copyright without paying.

586514264[/snapback]

You know it says in the license file that you're not allowed to do that unless you have paid? :p

So they could try and sue you for that, in theory...

Tomi
@tm?: Actually the purpose of this thread wasn't to tell everyone about this problem, it was actually to ask for advise on what people suggested I should do.

586514264[/snapback]

Okay..:):)

I don't think you should use that random serial number. Because when IPS checks, they usually verify the serial number found using the ipscheck=1 functionSo, if they see you are using a different serial number than the one you should register with you will get black-listed.i>

586515109[/snapback]

...you don't know how the IPS licensing system works, do you?

Sure, they can check it, but they can't "blacklist" the serial. All they can do is contact you, your host, or your host's upstream provider (or whatever it's called), and they keep going up the line until someone cooperates.

Michael_C
I think you'll find that you're using a patched version of the board that will activate if you put anything in the reg code box. Also if you add ?ipscheck=1 at the end of your URL then it'll return the code you entered. Hence Code reds amazing guesswork.

586481920[/snapback]

No, I think it is caused by the new site. The URL that the registration code calls to check serials is probably returning a 404.

Alex Suraci

What the--tried it on 2.x.x and it worked on IP Chat AND license removal..

Tomi
No, I think it is caused by the new site. The URL that the registration code calls to check serials is probably returning a 404.

586517213[/snapback]

There's only ?ipscheck=1, and even that is useless to anyone but IPS.

Plus with 2.1, they've restricted the ipscheck, so only IPS can see it.

caerma

Hope v2.1 Final fixes that. :huh:

Edited by caerma
Danellis

Well just contacted IPS through live chat. The woman said she will be informing the developers of this and once they have a solution for me to set it all back, they'll email me.

sachleen

DAMN it, I wish i had this trial!

erwinrom

I had the same thing, so in the live chat today I mention it. From Matt I heard the licence check server is not working good at the moment.

Tomi
Well just contacted IPS through live chat. The woman said she will be informing the developers of this and once they have a solution for me to set it all back, they'll email me.

586520580[/snapback]

Hm, woman....I would guess Debbie? :laugh:

Michael_C
There's only ?ipscheck=1, and even that is useless to anyone but IPS.

Plus with 2.1, they've restricted the ipscheck, so only IPS can see it.

586517348[/snapback]

I mean on the IPS end, when you enter a license key IPB calls home and checks it:):) The check always returns 1 for some reason at the moment.

Tomi
I mean on the IPS end, when you enter a license key IPB calls home and checks it. :) The check always returns 1 for some reason at the moment.

586523446[/snapback]

Ah, could be. Maybe because of the move?

But then again, remember that the 'license key' thing is now discontinued...

Gazza12

Wow! I have a stable release of IPB 2.1.0 and I just entered any old key and it worked!

The copyright removel is gone! :D

Danellis

Please can I ask though that for the sake of IPB who are just a genuine company trying to earn some $$, you don't try to do this. It will work and you will end up losing your copyright line. Unfortuantly IPB don't have a fix for this yet so please for their sake don't try it :D

Joel
Please can I ask though that for the sake of IPB who are just a genuine company trying to earn some $$, you don't try to do this. It will work and you will end up losing your copyright line. Unfortuantly IPB don't have a fix for this yet so please for their sake don't try it :D

586524853[/snapback]

You don't lose the copyright line unless you choose to. You could still enter any text to verify this flaw, which I did on a dev board.

I can't believe they don't see this as a problem.

Tomi

586524853[/snapback]

I haven't done it.

Although I tried it on my localhost dev board, and it worked. =\