IPB flaw!

Question

Danellis

This has to be the strangest thing!

On my forum where I'm using the unlimited trial, I just decided to randomly put in a registration code and see what happens. Well I put in a code and suddenly I got "Registration Successful!" I then though "whoa! What the!" so I decided to try the copyright removal. Did that and it worked too! I then decided to try IP Chat and sure enough, that worked too!

The reason I'm posting this is because I'm a large supporter of IPS and want to remove the "registered to:" line and add back the copyright. I don't want to get in trouble for doing anything illegal but I have no idea what I should do :pinch:

Should I go to IPS and tell them about this? :unsure:

Thanks,

Dan

P.S. If you want proof, go to www.fusiongfx.net and scroll right to the bottom!

nwBen

This also seems to work on IPB 1.3 aswell.

Weird :s

caerma

never mind

Edited by caerma
SamNeeds

.....Opps...IPB made a little mistake lol :laugh: :huh: :rofl:

Tomi
This is most definitely a major bug :|

586553542[/snapback]

Not exactly a major bug...as even though you have that code entered, you don't get all the advantages of a customer.

flyakite

Actually that is a major bug, as most people who would exploit this, are people who don't care about all the actual customer advantages.

If Photoshop CS 2 allowed you to type in any set of characters, and suddenly it was registered and activated, but of course you don't get customer support, that's a huge deal. Most people that lay down big bucks on Photoshop are paying that money for the full and unrestricted version of the software. Most of them probably never use the support Adobe offers for being a customer.

And while I'm not saying it's right to steal, I do remember a thread in Neowin about someone who was accidently shipped two laptops from Dell, but only paid for one and Dell never said anything. I'm more than certain almost everyone said he should just keep it because it was Dell's mistake. Yet in this situation most would say don't just enter random text to get a full version, even if it's IPBs fault for not taking action on fixing this flaw. Of course you should always to the right thing; either give the laptop back in the first example, or of course don't enter in random characters just to "test" if this flaw works in your version.

Michael_C

The only advantage you get is the copyright removed or the 'trial' text removed from the copyright. IPB 2.1 doesn't even require registration so the only real issue is the Copyright Removal.

Danellis
The only advantage you get is the copyright removed or the 'trial' text removed from the copyright. IPB 2.1 doesn't even require registration so the only real issue is the Copyright Removal.

586561480[/snapback]

and you get IP chat.

mobo49

Wow. The copyright removal works in 2.1 as well. Not that it really matters though. I would anticipate an update soon for this oversight.

Danellis
Wow. The copyright removal works in 2.1 as well. Not that it really matters though. I would anticipate an update soon for this oversight.

586597373[/snapback]

I dunno... I reported the bug to an Invision Power employee who said they were going to report it to a senior staff member and email me any updates. Havn't recieved anything though yet.

runsmoove

Is there a way to get the copyright notice back?

TimRogers

That seriously needs fixing :yes:

mrchetsteadman
And btw, just because you have your 'fake' code entered, doesn't mean IPS won't nail you for piracy, or whatever it would be.

586484519[/snapback]

They wont.

I dunno... I reported the bug to an Invision Power employee who said they were going to report it to a senior staff member and email me any updates. Havn't recieved anything though yet.

586605999[/snapback]

I am not sure if you guys are just trying to follow rules or what not, but most of you are looking for a copy of IPB right now. Believe it or not, there are HUNDREDS of websites out right now that are "illegal" and I know of about 15 that have been up for about 2 years. IPS has no time to check every site for legal copies. My next door neighbor just got a "nulled" copy of 2.1.2 and it works great from what I can tell. If I had the time to run a board, I would get it to just to be honest. But I already paid the $69 for my ****in copy... Im getting angry.:angry:y:

TheBrotherhood313

I tried it on my 2.0.0 (Trial) test forum and it worked for the IP Chat.

Although i could edit the info for the Registration and Copyright Removal, it still didnt register it or remove the copyright.

Also for the IP Chat to work you need the files, so really this did nothing.

It was just a test forum though, and i dont use illegal forums. So this didnt matter much to me anyway.

Dark Hunter

This pirated version is better than your trial versions :). :p

Update: And yes, It works! :D. Bought a chat, a gallery, a blog, Hm...what else am I missing? :D

Edited by Dark Hunter
Gazza12
Is there a way to get the copyright notice back?

586620766[/snapback]

Request IPB to put it back. Thats what I did.

mrchetsteadman
This pirated version is better than your trial versions :). :p

Update: And yes, It works! :D. Bought a chat, a gallery, a blog, Hm...what else am I missing?  :D

586695946[/snapback]

Thank you! I am not saying stealing is good because it really isn't, But damn, these people act like they gonna lose sleep over the damn flaw. After my 1 year subscription expires, imma get a "nulled" version. Some people are just too damn sheltered...

Danellis
Request IPB to put it back. Thats what I did.

586696045[/snapback]

I did the same but they said they had not developed a way of putting it back.

Danellis
So how did you get it back in the end Danellis?

586698558[/snapback]

I put it in manually in the skin.

winfx

If you want the copyright to be re-displayed, run this query:

UPDATE `ibf_conf_settings` SET `conf_value` = '' WHERE `conf_key` = 'ipb_copy_number';

I can't imagine why IPS would say they didn't know of a way to put it back when all it requires is that simple query.

Danellis
If you want the copyright to be re-displayed, run this query:

UPDATE `ibf_conf_settings` SET `conf_value` = '' WHERE `conf_key` = 'ipb_copy_number';

I can't imagine why IPS would say they didn't know of a way to put it back when all it requires is that simple query.

586698707[/snapback]

Yeah they gave me that query some time ago but it doesn't seem to work for me :s

winfx
Yeah they gave me that query some time ago but it doesn't seem to work for me :s

586698848[/snapback]

Try running the query then go into Tools and Settings -> Cache Control and update the settings cache.

Danellis

Ok it seems that the query winfx gave me DOES work. If you have done this and want to put back the copyright line, run the query he posted above :)