IPB flaw!

Question

Danellis

This has to be the strangest thing!

On my forum where I'm using the unlimited trial, I just decided to randomly put in a registration code and see what happens. Well I put in a code and suddenly I got "Registration Successful!" I then though "whoa! What the!" so I decided to try the copyright removal. Did that and it worked too! I then decided to try IP Chat and sure enough, that worked too!

The reason I'm posting this is because I'm a large supporter of IPS and want to remove the "registered to:" line and add back the copyright. I don't want to get in trouble for doing anything illegal but I have no idea what I should do :pinch:

Should I go to IPS and tell them about this? :unsure:

Thanks,

Dan

P.S. If you want proof, go to www.fusiongfx.net and scroll right to the bottom!

red8Rain

entered some random code in to 2.1.1 and it got rid of the copyright statement.

ran the suggested code but I still got nothing.

ran in it admin --> SQL ToolBox

Edited by IPv6
winfx
entered some random code in to 2.1.1 and it got rid of the copyright statement.

ran the suggested code but I still got nothing.

ran in it admin --> SQL ToolBox

586705533[/snapback]

Did you rebuild the settings cache afterward?

red8Rain

odd how the copyright gets removed instantly when you enter some random code but you need to rebuild the cache to get the copyright statement back ... seems a bit backward to me.

Doc Mattic

Whats the difference if the copyright is there or not? it still does the same stuff.

And the way i see it ipb cant bust you if you dont go to them for support. How will they know you board is where it is?

red8Rain

don't know. Don't know why someone wants to pay $$$ to have that thing remove. It seems they make a big deal out of this copyright thing but failed to make sure it works correctly. The worse part is that they can't force everyone to upgrade to the version that resolves this little problem.

winfx
odd how the copyright gets removed instantly when you enter some random code but you need to rebuild the cache to get the copyright statement back ... seems a bit backward to me.

586706701[/snapback]

Not really, it does make sense. When you enter the code, IPB saves the key you entered in the database and rebuilds the settings cache automagically, the query however is only a hack of sorts and as such, there's no actual process involved (rebuilding the settings cache etc).

Whats the difference if the copyright is there or not? it still does the same stuff.

And the way i see it ipb cant bust you if you dont go to them for support. How will they know you board is where it is?

586706919[/snapback]

You'd be suprised how many people just look for IPBs without copyrights and report them to IPS. It's rather sad.

red8Rain
You'd be suprised how many people just look for IPBs without copyrights and report them to IPS. It's rather sad.

Those are the people that gets beat up during the lunch period or after school. Little dweebs that like to stick their noses in other people's business. Then again, there are people who actually pay to have the copyright removed, so the rats are told to stfu.

winfx
Those are the people that gets beat up during the lunch period or after school.  Little dweebs that like to stick their noses in other people's business.  Then again, there are people who actually pay to have the copyright removed, so the rats are told to stfu.

586711260[/snapback]

There was a pile of us over at the IPS forums that used to get really annoyed at some of those people. They seemed to think that they had some God given right to hunt piracy for IPS, it was damn sickening. One day I noticed quite a few people accessing ipscheck on my forum, so I replaced it with a not so nice message. It made me feel better.

smoove

WinFX how would i go about doing that on my board?

winfx
WinFX how would i go about doing that on my board?

586714260[/snapback]

If you're using IPB >= 2.1.x, you don't need to. :)

Otherwise:

1. Open up class_display.php

2. In the function _check_ips_report() (line ~843) find:

if ( $ibforums->vars['ipb_copy_number'] )
  	{
    flush();
    print preg_replace( "/^(\d+?)-(\d+?)-(\d+?)-(\S+?)$/", "\\2,\\3", $ibforums->vars['ipb_copy_number'] );
    exit();
  	}
  	else if ( $ibforums->vars['ipb_reg_number'] )
  	{
    flush();
    print preg_replace( "/^(\d+?)-(\d+?)-(\d+?)-(\d+?)-(\S+?)$/", "\\2,\\4", $ibforums->vars['ipb_reg_number'] );
    exit();
  	}
  	else
  	{
    print "--";
    exit();
  	}

replace with:

if ( $ibforums->vars['ipb_copy_number'] )
  	{
    flush();
    print '**** off';
    exit();
  	}
  	else if ( $ibforums->vars['ipb_reg_number'] )
  	{
    flush();
    print '**** off';
    exit();
  	}
  	else
  	{
    print "--";
    exit();
  	}