"Gif" vs "Jif"

How are *.GIF web images pronounced as?  

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Question

AshMan

I know there are MANY people (Yes, YOU!) out there who refer to web image files are "Gifs" rather than "Jifs". I had one guy who started to role around on the floor when I told referred to an image as a "Jif". I had the last laugh though, I fired his uneducated @$$; you never laugh at the boss! I've had many arguments with similar uneducated people who clam to be web/design/graphic experts! Buhh!

Anyway, the fact remains, it's pronounced Jifs and not Gifs. :)

The Facts

Sensayshun

it's jif. I used to say gif though :(

I learnt the error of my ways a little while ago.

former1
I know there are MANY people (Yes, YOU!) out there who refer to web image files are "Gifs" rather than "Jifs". I had one guy who started to role around on the floor when I told referred to an image as a "Jif". I had the last laugh though, I fired his uneducated @$$; you never laugh at the boss! I've had many arguments with similar uneducated people who clam to be web/design/graphic experts! Buhh!

Anyway, the fact remains, it's pronounced Jifs and not Gifs. :)

The Facts

586485558[/snapback]

You fired someone because they pronounce something different than you? No offence but what kind of boss are you?! I think he and I are having the last laugh as you just showed your IQ :rolleyes: .

Edited by MI6Labs
TheTerminator
You fired someone because they pronounce something different than you? No offence but what kind of boss are you?! I think he and I are having the last laugh as you just showed your IQ  :rolleyes: .

586485579[/snapback]

:yes:

And OT: Its GIF, and Im not changing. Jif is stupid.

sachleen

One of my old computer teachers says Gif... at first i thoght it was an acctual image format. i was like wtf

Nightwind Hawk
You fired someone because they pronounce something different than you? No offence but what kind of boss are you?! I think he and I are having the last laugh as you just showed your IQ  :rolleyes: .

586485579[/snapback]

And the "uneducated one" happened to be the right one. :laugh:

ZappBrannigan

lol at jif.

Always said gif, never even realised people said it jif!

And firing somebody becouse they pronounce something different is stupid.

You sound a $%&? boss.

leesmithg

We have had this argument here before, it's Gif as far as I am concerned.

Bit like the word 'Router', some say 'Rowter' I say 'Router'.

HawkMan
I know there are MANY people (Yes, YOU!) out there who refer to web image files are "Gifs" rather than "Jifs".

no, actually I refer to them as jpeg's and png's

cork1958

I prefer gif and have never heard anybody pronounce it jif.

That guy you fired definitely has a class action suit coming against you for several reasons, I hope.

ZappBrannigan

Im sorry but theres isnt a right way or wrong way, people all over the world pronounce words differently.

Just like americans saying TOM AY TO instead of TOM AR TO, it doesnt make it wrong.

And by the way, your names not david brent by any chance is it?

:D

hotdog666al

It SHOULD be G.I.F

I say both Jiff and Giff

Julius Caro

Well, if it's JIF, it's jif :p

I pronounce gif though...

Toastyone
I fired his uneducated @$$

586485558[/snapback]

Eh that is ASS not @$$ ;) As for the way it is pronounced I don't care I know what people are talking about however they pronounce it :p

Jesse Carlton

It is clearly supposed to be pronounced jif like the peanut butter, but I still have to force myself to say it. I always thought it was gif like the thing you give at xmas....but if you can spell xmas as xmas and people still call it xmas...you should be able to pronounce gif as jif if you wanted too.

+mrbester

When Unisys took out the patent for GIF they pronounced it "Jif". Now the patent has expired (for the LZW compression) I would have thought we can pronounce it however we like.

At the time the Unisys patent was valid there was a cleaning product in UK called Jif. This has now been renamed to be in line with Europe; Cif, which it was originally NOT called because only UK viewed that as "syph".

Therefore I say "Gif" simply because I still call Cif "Jif"...

Edit: "Jif" is a brand of peanut butter? :rofl:

P.S. Note that some people pronounce xmas as "crossmas" :wacko:

Y2Stu
We have had this argument here before, it's Gif as far as I am concerned.

Bit like the word 'Router', some say 'Rowter' I say 'Router'.

586485643[/snapback]

a ROWTER and a Router are 2 different things anyway! I thought that was pretty obvious. There spelt the same but are two different products.

+Dick Montage

I know it's SUPPOSED to be Jif, but I always say Gif.

Graphical interchange format. Guh, guh! Gif!

Anything else is just jay!

recon

It's going to take more than a cheap looking website to prove Gif is pronounced Jif. If the creators wanted it pronounced 'Jif', they should've called the file .jif .

It's public domain now, say it however you want. Logically, it's a hard g. But call it whatever you want. Who cares... PO TAY TOE - PO TA TOE.

Garry

Fools. I'm pretty sure Ashman didn't fire ANYBODY.

gogosama

Graphics Interchange Format = GIf it is gif not jif

grimman
At the time the Unisys patent was valid there was a cleaning product in UK called Jif. This has now been renamed to be in line with Europe; Cif, which it was originally NOT called because only UK viewed that as "syph".

Odd... we had a cleaning product named Vim which was renamed to Jif... and yes, this is in Europe. Sweden to be precise. I'm wondering what drugs that marketing department is taking.

Edit: "Jif" is a brand of peanut butter?  :rofl:

jif.jpg

+Dick Montage

Cif? Hif?

ZappBrannigan

Also in uk theres jif lemon juice, in plastic lemons lol