"Gif" vs "Jif"

How are *.GIF web images pronounced as?  

320 members have voted

1. 1. How are *.GIF web images pronounced as?

• "Gifs"
    • "Jifs"

Question

I know there are MANY people (Yes, YOU!) out there who refer to web image files are "Gifs" rather than "Jifs". I had one guy who started to role around on the floor when I told referred to an image as a "Jif". I had the last laugh though, I fired his uneducated @$$; you never laugh at the boss! I've had many arguments with similar uneducated people who clam to be web/design/graphic experts! Buhh!

Anyway, the fact remains, it's pronounced Jifs and not Gifs. :)

The Facts

we had a cleaning product named Vim which was renamed to Jif

We've still got Vim (different to Jif, more of a scouring powder). Go figure...

I had the last laugh though, I fired his uneducated @$$;

You fired his donkey? thats not very nice I think you ment his arse :p

see it doesnt matter about spelling or how someone prenounces a word aslong as you know what they mean no harm done.

Also this breaks that preschool learning how to prenounce a word when you break it up in junks and say it g if but thats acronyms for you!

^^ from dictionary.com

"GIF Audio pronunciation of "gif" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (jif, gif)

A service mark used for a raster-based color graphics file format, often used on the World Wide Web to store graphics."

Anything else is just jay!

586485719[/snapback]

Aha! :laugh:

I used to prononce Adobe Ad-obe, the same sounding obe in wardrobe, i argued with someone about that too, then i heard how it was pronounced on a advert :blush:

i say GIF and i aint changin

ive never heard Jif either :s (theres no J in it :p )

Aha!  :laugh:

I used to prononce Adobe Ad-obe, the same sounding obe in wardrobe, i argued with someone about that too, then i heard how it was pronounced on a advert  :blush:

586485860[/snapback]

Thats how i say adobe lol

Why do we even need to give it a name? Did we give a name to 'mp3'? How bout 'pdf'? Maybe 'agp'? Anyway, I think anyone can call it whatever he feels like.

I've always pronounced it "Jif" because I've been using computers since before most of you were born. I would say it's a newer thing to call it "GIF" but the correct way to refer to it is "Jif"

Semantics aside it really doesn't matter and your thing about firing someone because of it was kind of silly don't you think ?

And toasty, ass ? you mean arse don't you ? or :unsure: :sleep:

All this talk of "JIF" and "GIF" reminds me of the Episode of CSI when "Rocky Racoon" and "Sexy Kitty" are all intertwined in some convention when people dress up as animals and "yiff". Since GIF / JIF are so similar it reminded me of the scene where Cathrine Willows walks into a "Yiffing Party" and says: "WHOA NELLY!"

So, lets stop yiffing, giffing and or jiffing.

I personally pronouce it "gif" as it stands for "Graphics Interchange Format - GIF"

Alas work callith me away!

Cheers!

I know there are MANY people (Yes, YOU!) out there who refer to web image files are "Gifs" rather than "Jifs". I had one guy who started to role around on the floor when I told referred to an image as a "Jif". I had the last laugh though, I fired his uneducated @$$; you never laugh at the boss! I've had many arguments with similar uneducated people who clam to be web/design/graphic experts! Buhh!

Anyway, the fact remains, it's pronounced Jifs and not Gifs. :)

The Facts

586485558[/snapback]

It sounds like you've got no business being the boss... the pronunciation of GIF is correct EITHER WAY as it's an acronym, though, for the sake of YOUR "uneducated ass", it's more commonly pronounced "Gif", *NOT* "Jif"... the "G" stands for "Graphic"; note the hard-G... the word is not pronounced "Jraphics", so why would the hard-G suddenly change when placed into an acronym?

BTW, the word is "roll", not "role", so stop pointing the finger when you're no better yourself.

Oh, and for whoever it was who claimed to know better because he'd been around longer than most; well, I've been around computers for well over 26 years now and pronouncing GIF as "Gif" is NOT a new thing - the debate started as soon as the format appeared. Even back then, the vast majority of people used "Gif", not "Jif".

Edited by Kestrel

'G'raphics interchange format

that would be Gif then, If they wanted it to be pronounced Jiff, they should have used a different acronymn

586486099[/snapback]

I agree, it's not (J)raphics it's (G)raphics. Graphics is pronounced with a hard G sound. It would make it GIF.

This whole story reeks.

Ashman by the way you act and speek you must be around 11 or 12 years old.

There is no way you are anybody's boss at that age.

Now just look at your post, if they wanted to pronounce iT "jif" they would have called it ".jif".

You have no more credibilty here at Neowin. You have exposed your true uneducated childish self.

You are probably being ignored by 90% of the people here now, you may as well just leave.

to avoid all confusion... i just call them G.I.F. files. why? because then we dont have stupid discussions like this.

oh, btw, if you fired him over that, then you should go back to gradeschool... or maybe take a trip on the whaaaaaambulence since it sounds like you did a fair amount of crying before you fired the dude over that.