"Gif" vs "Jif"

How are *.GIF web images pronounced as?  

320 members have voted

1. 1. How are *.GIF web images pronounced as?

• "Gifs"
    • "Jifs"

Question

I know there are MANY people (Yes, YOU!) out there who refer to web image files are "Gifs" rather than "Jifs". I had one guy who started to role around on the floor when I told referred to an image as a "Jif". I had the last laugh though, I fired his uneducated @$$; you never laugh at the boss! I've had many arguments with similar uneducated people who clam to be web/design/graphic experts! Buhh!

Anyway, the fact remains, it's pronounced Jifs and not Gifs. :)

The Facts

Err, wot?

PNG is pronounced "ping", as MNG is pronounced "ming", not phonetically spelled.

Another one to display ignorance. Firing someone because they (erroneously) laughed at a perceived error is wrong. Much more gratifying for the one laughed at is when they're gently prodded to the correct answer with the aid of a cricket bat in front of the whole office...

DEFINITION:

Pronounced jiff or giff (hard g) stands for Graphics Interchange Format, a bit-mapped graphics file format used by the World Wide Web, CompuServe and many BBSs. GIF supports color and various resolutions. It also includes data compression, but because it is limited to 256 colors, it is more effective for scanned images such as illustrations rather than color photos.

Asked Jeeves What is a GIF? :ninja:

GIF all the way

same thoughts

JIF is a kitchen cleaner in the UK

GIF is a image format

586486056[/snapback]

ahh it was until the europeans thought cif was easier to say!

Maybe we will be calling GIFs cifs soon!

Im a GIF man

I know there are MANY people (Yes, YOU!) out there who refer to web image files are "Gifs" rather than "Jifs". I had one guy who started to role around on the floor when I told referred to an image as a "Jif". I had the last laugh though, I fired his uneducated @$$; you never laugh at the boss! I've had many arguments with similar uneducated people who clam to be web/design/graphic experts! Buhh!

Anyway, the fact remains, it's pronounced Jifs and not Gifs. :)

The Facts

586485558[/snapback]

i hope your not trying to sound cool with your firing statement cause i gotta agree that your iq was just shown by that. and who cares hows its pronounced but by the looks of the poll thats alot of people you would fire.

I know there are MANY people (Yes, YOU!) out there who refer to web image files are (surely you mean "as") "Gifs" rather than "Jifs". I had one guy who started to role (roll?) around on the floor when I told (maybe you wanted to put "him, that i" in here) referred to an image as a "Jif". I had the last laugh though, I fired his uneducated (the irony) @$$; (-; +.) you never laugh at the boss! I've had many arguments with similar uneducated (you are so fun) people who clam ("claim" perhaps?) to be web/design/graphic experts! Buhh!

Anyway, the fact remains, it's ("it's" refers to sometimg in a singular term, what you wanted there is "they're") pronounced Jifs and not Gifs. :)

The Facts

586485558[/snapback]

And to sum this up, it's NOT pronounced "you are a chunt."

In my oppinion it is as simple as this; GIF - not JIF.

That said I pronounce it with a soft "G" not hard - either way people should be able to say it like they want, like Linux really... Lie-nux or Lin-ux? :)

To fire somebody because of that is plain stupid in my oppinion - abuse of your power... people have to work! Theres probably a law about it - unfair dismissal or something?

hmmm well how i see it is WHO CARES?!?!?! but for those of you that care...

i personally say giff althought its hard to tell... GIant is pronounced Jiant whereas GIt its pronounced Git, the english language is so crazy that it doesnt really matter!!!

So, since the *developer* of the format has made it clear that the correct pronunciation is "jif", which is it that has you guys still handing out your "opinions" that that is incorrect? Is it ignorance, or the fact that you think you know more than Compuserve does about how to pronounce something they made, and named (and created the pronunciation of in the process.. yes, it IS documented)? Hey, here's an idea, all of you that have names with particular pronunciations, give them out, and we'll tell YOU how they are pronounced, and if you don't like it, tough, your mom should have spelled your name differently. Bottom line, the pronunciation of acronyms is up to the author... and FYI I was active on the Compuserve graphics forum way back then (late 80's).

Me, I'll stand by the creator of the format, as well as the pronunciation I've always known it by, since the start... jif. BTW, the pronunciation used to actually be IN the file specification, I don't know if it still is or not.

I've never heard anyone say TOMARTO ...

... where the heck you pull that 'R' from, I don't know.

I've always heard and said .gif with a soft 'g' like JIF.

I laugh anytime someone says it with a hard 'g' - GIF. :p

I pronounce it Gif so everyone understands, considering most people think it's Gif

Here's that cleaner people were talking about btw:

2347229.jpg

They renamed the product 'Cif' because Spanish people can't pronounce 'J's

random topic

don't know why ppl would call it "Jif" for when it doesnt have a J in it....

586487389[/snapback]

Apparently someone skipped 1st grade ...

same reason people say George, gem, giant, gypsy ...

"In front of an e, i, or y, g usually represents the "j" sound ("gentle")"

That's just the way it works, there are very few times that a 'g' followed by a vowel (besides 'u') ever makes the hard 'guh' sound.