Yoper vs Vector

Whcih Distribution is faster?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Whcih Distribution is faster?

• Vector
    • Yoper

On both Vector Linux's site, as well as Yoper's site, both distributions claim to be the fastest distribution available (non source that is) I've been a vector user for a while and have it as my secondary desktop next to my win xp (not dual booting, 2 seperate boxes) Vector boasts "We are also known as the fastest non-source distro on the planet!" While Yoper says "Yoper is not like general purpose distros such as Red Hat or Mandrake. It is a high performance Desktop OS. It is compact. It resides on 1 cd-rom." So what do you all think? I've personally never tried Yoper but since my linux box is a bit old and doesnt exactly have top of the line hardware, any boost i could get would be great (yes i know the right WM is probably going to affect the speed more than the distro, I'm mainly just curious about Yoper and peoples thoughts on it compared to vector :p ) Oh and how is Yopers package management? good/bad?

Null Vote here.

I think what you do with a distro after installation is more important than which one you get.

The point is to pick one that starts off closest to what you want Linux to be.

I completely agree with Mark Jenson here, but just to add one thing, Yoper is optimised for i686, so might work a bit faster on newer (pentium II / athlon or above) processors. Vector is optimised for older PC's, and will run on a lot of old hardware on which Yoper wont. But you got it right that your choice of window manager, applications, and services will affect the speed the most.

I actually have to admit to never having come accross either.

What will make the most differance is what you choose to run on your box after you install either (or any) distro. Running a smaller wm for example makes a huge differance.

Okay, VectorLinux will really treat both situations, old computer and new computer. This distro starts out with IceWM with a Plastik like theme, and KDE and FreeRock Gnome can be installed too!

But, the real treat is that VectorLinux is the best distro for installing Enlightenment DR17. That will BLOW your mind if you have a more modern computer, trust me it's wicked!

On both Vector Linux's site, as well as Yoper's site, both distributions claim to be the fastest distribution available (non source that is) I've been a vector user for a while and have it as my secondary desktop next to my win xp (not dual booting, 2 seperate boxes) Vector boasts "We are also known as the fastest non-source distro on the planet!" While Yoper says "Yoper is not like general purpose distros such as Red Hat or Mandrake. It is a high performance Desktop OS. It is compact. It resides on 1 cd-rom." So what do you all think? I've personally never tried Yoper but since my linux box is a bit old and doesnt exactly have top of the line hardware, any boost i could get would be great (yes i know the right WM is probably going to affect the speed more than the distro, I'm mainly just curious about Yoper and peoples thoughts on it compared to vector :p ) Oh and how is Yopers package management? good/bad?

586488030[/snapback]

Both use Synaptic, I think yoper uses rpms where as vector can uses debs/rpms.

I tried both I found Yoper to be very fast but I'm not too fond of KDE and the gnome in the respository is not as tweaked as KDE, And the repository for Yoper was'nt very big when I tried it. I prefered vector to have a good balance of performance and usability.

Hope that helps!

Null Vote here.

I think what you do with a distro after installation is more important than which one you get.

The point is to pick one that starts off closest to what you want Linux to be.

586488462[/snapback]

Not sure what you are saying there

He's asking how they compare in terms of performance and and package Management.

He wants the distro thats better in performance and upgradability.

Both use Synaptic, I think yoper uses rpms where as vector can uses debs/rpms.

586518941[/snapback]

actually, vector is slackware based so it uses .tgz's, and it doesnt use synaptic that I'm aware of, its using slapt-get (apt-get for slackware) as package manager, with VLAPT as the GUI, or Gslapt is another front end for slapt-get, but yeah i think yoper does use rpm's.. still waiting for new blank cds to come in to try yoper out =/

vector. It's a lot more polished distro (both SOHO and regular). You want speed, get the regular version of vector with the 2.6 kernel. It does make a significant difference over the 2.4 kernel the SOHO still uses...or you can just install the new kernel afterwards...

Yoper is a good distro, but like I said, it's just not as polished as vector

• 2 weeks later...

I met Yoper in early 2004 from a CD in a magazine and was impressed how faster that my former Mandrake distribution it was. Then, as I got a fast internet connection last january, I searched for a faster distribution.

First I tried Vector... Probably after some tweaking it could have been acceptable but just after install it seemed to me rather slow, at least compared with Yoper. I though that it might be that Vector is more for older computers, mine is Celeron Coppermine 1 Ghz - 128 Mo RAM.

Then I installed Arch Linux and kept it... it is not quite as fast as Yoper with KDE, but with ICEWm it is very responsive, and in contrast to Yoper, it is extremely easy to upgrade and offers plenty of applications pre-packaged. Under Yoper I had installed Fedora rpms that ran flawlessly, but that required --forcing the install and I was not at ease with that...

Since my first disappointing experience with Vector, I stay away from it.

Yoper periodically runs prelinking on its applications, which make them much faster to load. This is very marked for a heavy dynamic linked application like KDE. You can run prelinking on any other distribution as well.

Yes, unlike Arch or Yoper, Vector does not feature i686 optimisation, so will not be as fast as these on modern hardware. However its simple approach and good choice of applications make it pretty fast anyway.