hacking win xp

alright, i dont know if anyone will be able to answer this... but i'll ask anyways

my computer teacher gave us a challenge - hack his win xp box and find a text file on his desktop and next class tell him what was in the file and get extra credit.

he also said we can try to hack his linux box (but thats a little harder aint it?)

so i though i'd go for the win xp.

now im not exactly a pro with networks... hacking.. and such. the only possible way i can think to get in his computer is thru remote desktop.. andddd that didnt work.

so while i'm trying to keep this topic educational, can someone drop me somes hints? (i want some extra credit)

he said it was easy!!!! im only in my 3rd year so i havent taken too many computer classes yet and im no pro, like i said before.

HELP

(yeah its 3am and the a/c isnt working.. and im bored :D )

Have your simply browsed to see if c$ share still exists?

586498633[/snapback]

see actually i have no idea what you just said :laugh:

can you explain? :unsure:

You should hack it, get the text file and then reformat his harddrive!

:woot:

586498647[/snapback]

yeah that'll get me extra credit, along with getting kick out of school! he said he has nothing on the computer, its just for testing.. but im sure he wouldnt like that :p

\\servername\c$

where servername is his computername or whatever... is what he means..

This checks for the normal windows hidden share... you could also port scan it (i assume you know the network ip for it ?) and check for some......open ports :ninja: if you know what i mean :ninja:

\\servername\c$

where servername is his computername or whatever... is what he means..

This checks for the normal windows hidden share... you could also port scan it (i assume you know the network ip for it ?) and check for some......open ports :ninja: if you know what i mean :ninja:

586498671[/snapback]

i think i get it.. i just went to network places and did \\ip\c$ and it would bring it up if there was anything eh? it said the folder i entered does not appear to be valid :(

anyone recommendations on a port scanning program? and when i do get a port, what the sam hill do i do with it?

ahh questions questions questions :rofl:

i would give the ip out and let someone else do it but that could be a bad idea :o

haha, honestly, READ.

586498709[/snapback]

read what?!!?!? ahhhhh :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

anyways i can connect to his ip with a certain port using the windows hyper terminal... but other then that i have no idea what the hell to do... its 4 am and i am NOT going to bed until i get this!!! any help would be appreciated :D

i think i get it.. i just went to network places and did \\ip\c$ and it would bring it up if there was anything eh? it said the folder i entered does not appear to be valid :(

anyone recommendations on a port scanning program? and when i do get a port, what the sam hill do i do with it?

ahh questions questions questions  :rofl:

i would give the ip out and let someone else do it but that could be a bad idea  :o

586498677[/snapback]

correct me if im wrong but server name and ip are different for windows xp server name is the same as computer name. most people use their name as the computer name, so if the computer name is bob then its\\bob then if c: drive is shared, its would be \\bob\c or whatever the name of c: drive is, if he change it to system then it would be \\bob\system, right?

correct me if im wrong but server name and ip are different for windows xp server name is the same as computer name. most people use their name as the computer name, so if the computer name is bob then its\\bob then if c: drive is shared, its would be \\bob\c or whatever the name of c: drive is, if he change it to system then it would be \\bob\system, right?

586498739[/snapback]

yeah i believe its whatever the computer name is, OR you can put the ip address.. thats what i did.

I suppose the teacher won't allow you to physically touch or have access to the computer, will he? If he will, then it's really easy to do.

Had a similar challenge in a network programming class in college. I just wrote some code to cause a buffer overflow on the instructors XP box which granted me elevated system rights - then went to town (read pwned his box :ninja: )

586498739[/snapback]

I don't understand the first part of what you wrote...The name and IP address go hand-in-hand but depending on how your network is setup, it would be easier going to the IP address of the station:

\\172.16.10.10\c$

The C drive is shared on an XP machine by default (for administrative purposes). If you aren't an administrator, you probably won't be connecting to it anytime soon.

Are you able to use any applications to help you out with this?

I suppose the teacher won't allow you to physically touch or have access to the computer, will he?  If he will, then it's really easy to do.

586500753[/snapback]

nope.. but if i did, i could just setup remote desktop then couldnt i?

Had a similar challenge in a network programming class in college.  I just wrote some code to cause a buffer overflow on the instructors XP box which granted me elevated system rights - then went to town (read pwned his box  :ninja: )

586500774[/snapback]

you make it sound so simple :pinch:

Are you able to use any applications to help you out with this?

586500777[/snapback]

yeah i can use anything.

nope.. but if i did, i could just setup remote desktop then couldnt i?

You wouldn't have to. If you had physical access to the machine and a floppy or CDROM drive was available, you could get in with 0 problems at all.

yeah i can use anything.

Are you on the same network as this PC? Like are you in some classroom?

You wouldn't have to.  If you had physical access to the machine and a floppy or CDROM drive was available, you could get in with 0 problems at all.

Are you on the same network as this PC?  Like are you in some classroom?

586500848[/snapback]

its on the university network.. sooo yeah its the same network, not in the same room tho.

I know this is for a legit reason apparently but it sort of gives out the wrong ideas. On the other hand I?m guessing he knows what he?s doing as for asking you to hack his system on the other hand he could be a noob but you can do some things like port scan see if any well known ports are open (Surely he?s not that daft, But you can bet if loads of ports are open then its going to be easy). If you are good at programming then it would be a little easier because you can custom build tools to fit the job but that needs an in-depth knowledge of a language like C. You might also have the job of actually getting round the network security itself. If you know the name of the text file you are looking for you could simply search the network to see if it?s already on someone else's PC. Have a look in network neighboroughood see if there any open shares. Also what SP is he using on his XP box? It might be a lot harder if it?s SP2. Hope you can get some pointers from that. Have fun.

also, for some reason pings dont respond, and i can't do a port scan.. (firewalled?)

but like i said, i can connect thru a certain open port i found.

586500875[/snapback]

It could be the routers/switches blocking that.

I know this is for a legit reason apparently but it sort of gives out the wrong ideas. On the other hand I?m guessing he knows what he?s doing as for asking you to hack his system on the other hand he could be a noob but you can do some things like port scan see if any well known ports are open (Surely he?s not that daft, But you can bet if loads of ports are open then its going to be easy). If you are good at programming then it would be a little easier because you can custom build tools to fit the job but that needs an in-depth knowledge of a language like C. You might also have the job of actually getting round the network security itself. If you know the name of the text file you are looking for you could simply search the network to see if it?s already on someone else's PC. Have a look in network neighboroughood see if there any open shares. Also what SP is he using on his XP box? It might be a lot harder if it?s SP2. Hope you can get some pointers from that. Have fun.

586500889[/snapback]

no idea what SP it has..

funny he said it would be "easy".. he likes linux more and he said that windows was soooo easy to hack into. its :no:easy :no:

If you are on the same network and everything as the machine, I'd definitely run SysInternal's Share Enumerator

That's handy, as it'll give you the shares you have access to and what you don't have access to. I mean, he could have given access to his "desktop" folder for that file in particular and only shared that folder.

ShareEnum would give you the name of the system and tell you if you had rights to it. Then you can simply click on it and get the file.

And don't spend too much time connecting to the registry if you have no passwords that are valid. You'll need one to perform the operations remotely.