Windows 97 - Wtf? ? ?

Daninku

lofl ... once I had a friend and he used to study IT at college, well it was an IT college. And this lecturer was talking about file systems, and you know, he mentioned NTFS. And he said it's Network File System ... isn't it supposed to be New Technology File System? Well, i know Network File System is NFS ... but not NTFS.

Anyways, he told him about this ... by the way we were studying a Cisco course at another college at the time. He didn't believe that NTFS is not Network File System ... and it was a question in the exam and he still put it as wrong :pinch: :rofl: Luckily he wasn't my lecturer, because I would have :devil: :devil: :devil: ...

+Dick Montage

reinholder: Wow, pseudo-intellectual crap. When someone uses a word trying to sound intelligent in their first sentence, and then get's it 100% wrong - it turns me off to the rest of the post.

Lookup: http://www.answers.com/misogynist&r=67

Windows 97 is exactly what I said above. There was no official "Microsoft Windows 97". The "Extra Crap" I mention (although including some MS releases) also included modded startup-screens, etc.

Angel Blue01

Windows 97 was codenamed "Detroit". It became Windows 98 (codename "Memphis"), just like "Nashville" (96) turned into 97.

Nashville was the IE4 shell.

Detroit I think was Win98 SE

Leo Natan

As fat as I know, 97 was supposed to be what 2000 did in its time, merge the NT code in both workstation and server OS, and remove the inferior 9x code. For some reason MS trashed 97, and started working on 98SE and ME. Smart idea! :/

kampioen

actually... I went to india 2 years ago... they had Windows 95,96,97,98,99,2000, xp and 2008

so yes they do exist... its basically modified versions of previous Windows... tweaked and gui changed...

NOT REAL and NOT BY MICROSOFT of course... even 2000 and xp were not by Microsoft

lol :shiftyninja:

beniza

yeyyayyiy :laugh: hoooray :woot:

post-61343-1138447458.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
MediaSoldier

LOL That's too funny, where the hell she'd get her degree?! McDonalds?

haha good quiestion :p

Allan

Basic Code Name info at Wikipedia

Extensive Code Name info at Bink.nu

yanowhiz

Windows 97 was really Windows 95 OSR2 but the pirates dubbed it as Windows 97. I had a copy of it and it really said Windows 97 on the cover but when you install it it was really Windows 95 OSR2 an update to the first Windows 95.

Too bad broadband wasn't popular back then. Maybe you could have just visited Windows Updates.

Also ask her if she has a copy of windows 99. :whistle:

:rofl: Along with Windows 2004, and 2005. :p

Windows 99 was a pirated copy of Windows 98.

:shifty:

lol, i'd love to see a copy of this... and tell them to stop downloading pirated versions off teh intranet

:rofl: Yea well she probably got her degree pirated as well.

It was the beta name for Win98. Some pirated stores actually had the beta CDs with "Windows 97" labels. Microsoft has a bad tendacy of never being on time. 95 was announced to be "soon" in 93, Windows 1.0 was announced in 81-2 and released in 84!

Heck I heard Vista was suppose to be released in 2004, and now 2 years later...

is she hot though ? :D

what the heck? :unsure: Ask her "can i see your windows?"

I'm pretty sure the above site is illegal. No version of windows is actually abandonware.

Interesting... can't access it...

Oh this old arguement again.

1) The beta's of 98 were NOT called 97.

2) There was no official 97 release.

3) A lot of people confuse Office and Windows - hence people claiming they have Windows 97.

4) A LOT of pirate disks came out called Windows 97 - which was Windows 95 OSR2 and a few bits of crap.

Amen! :) Final story. :)

the_architect
Interesting... can't access it...

Interesting... i can :p

RevoDS

This is a real project:

Windows 97 - Detroit

X Name Version Release Release date Build Notes

__ Detroit 4.20.1089 Beta 1 ??/??/19?? 1089 Features merged into Windows 98 ultimately

__ Detroit 4.20.1113 Beta 1 ??/??/19?? 1113 Features merged into Windows 98 ultimately

__ Detroit 4.20.1115 Beta 1 ??/??/19?? 1115 Features merged into Windows 98 ultimately

__ Detroit 4.20.1154 Beta 1 ??/??/19?? 1154 Features merged into Windows 98 ultimately

__ Detroit 4.20.1174 Beta 1 ??/??/19?? 1174 Features merged into Windows 98 ultimately

Taken from:

http://69.117.216.225:81/OSArchive/microsoft.htm

• 2 years later...
Database
Right so first week of college and im already hit with this bombshell, now according to this blonde lecturer, not only does Windows 97 exist , but she has a copy of it.

So why am I the only person it seems thats never heard of it... of course '98 was due out in '97 but it was held back....

So I need you guys help - did this actually exist or has my lecturer been sniffing glue again ?

Dave

This is an old forum. I just wanted to confirm, in case it never was confirmed, that in fact Windows 97 did exist, and there was even a release "B". I was surprised when I had first heard of it, when I saw it listed on an inventory sheet of software purchases. I actually openly mocked the person who had created the listed, only because that person was frequently an "I'm always right" type person. And, she was right. There was a release of Windows 97, but it never hit mainstream (being installed as an OEM) but seemed to be exclusive to "MSDN" subscribers. The MSDN forum is where one pays a significant price to receive all Microsoft software releases currently existing and all new releases within the next year (the length of a subscription). The prices are different for the types of Microsoft technology you select (i.e. ... Operating systems, development software such as the dot.net development studio and including SQL 2005, ...) If one was receiving operating systems, then they would have received a release of it, as an MSDN CD disk or as an ISO image download, available from the MSDN membership site.

Does that clarify why no one has heard of it, but it did in fact exist, and with a release "B" even. Because there was no OEM release (releases where a company like HP preinstall?s the operating system), there was no public exposure to it. Most public exposure to Microsoft personal Operating Systems is a result of purchasing a new PC, and having it already installed by the PC manufacturer. There is very little ownership of MS personal operating systems that are a result of purchasing the software separately from a store. Therefore, very little exposure to Windows 97's existence other than to those paying in excess of $3,000 a year to maintain an MSDN membership.

+John.

Jeeeesus this brings back memories :D

Daninku

Jesus Christ! LOL

312193210339sr.jpg

Haha, just notice some of the posts... it's super funny nowadays. Hooray for windows 97 :D

Panacik
This is an old forum. I just wanted to confirm, in case it never was confirmed, that in fact Windows 97 did exist, and there was even a release "B". I was surprised when I had first heard of it, when I saw it listed on an inventory sheet of software purchases. I actually openly mocked the person who had created the listed, only because that person was frequently an "I'm always right" type person. And, she was right. There was a release of Windows 97, but it never hit mainstream (being installed as an OEM) but seemed to be exclusive to "MSDN" subscribers. The MSDN forum is where one pays a significant price to receive all Microsoft software releases currently existing and all new releases within the next year (the length of a subscription). The prices are different for the types of Microsoft technology you select (i.e. ... Operating systems, development software such as the dot.net development studio and including SQL 2005, ...) If one was receiving operating systems, then they would have received a release of it, as an MSDN CD disk or as an ISO image download, available from the MSDN membership site.

Does that clarify why no one has heard of it, but it did in fact exist, and with a release "B" even. Because there was no OEM release (releases where a company like HP preinstall?s the operating system), there was no public exposure to it. Most public exposure to Microsoft personal Operating Systems is a result of purchasing a new PC, and having it already installed by the PC manufacturer. There is very little ownership of MS personal operating systems that are a result of purchasing the software separately from a store. Therefore, very little exposure to Windows 97's existence other than to those paying in excess of $3,000 a year to maintain an MSDN membership.

Old old OLD thread resurection.

*cracks whip* back in your cage thread, BACK IN YOUR CAGE! *cracks whip*

Prince Charming

old thread is old. somebody found the lecturer's crack pipe and started posting again

Ci7

never imagined such thing exists till now :p

rakeshishere
There's a saying: Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

WOW.. Just WOW, I have to save this quote in my diary

Edit:

Sorry for BUMP... but i kinda liked that quote

Edited by rakeshishere