(DSL) Browse hard drives

You are doing this all under DSL as a Live environment? Or did you install DSL somewhere?

I thought we covered accessing your Windows partitions earlier in this thread. Where are you at with this right now? Did you create a mount point, and try the mount command? Any errors?

You are doing this all under DSL as a Live environment?? Or did you install DSL somewhere?

I thought we covered accessing your Windows partitions earlier in this thread.? Where are you at with this right now??  Did you create a mount point, and try the mount command??  Any errors?

586563172[/snapback]

Yep Im doing all of this under a LiveCD

Yes you are right I used the "ls" command to view the contents but it only showed the contents of one HD (which is C: in Windows).

I want to view the contents of D:

:p

Then follow the same procedure I posted above, but substitute your other NTFS drive that showed up (hdb1), instead of hda1.

dsl@box:~$ sudo su

root@ttyp0[dsl]# mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hd

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb1,

or too many mounted file systems

Thats what it tells me :-( Which proves that its NOT a NTFS parition anymore...I know it problably isnt FAT32 (doesnt let me anyways) How do I mount it as a Linux type parition?

Do you already have something mounted to /mnt/hd ?

Try creating a /mnt/win_d

then mount your hdb1 to win_d

less likely to double-mount this way.

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't specify a type in your mount command (or use auto for your type in fstab), then it will identify the partition type and mount it based on what your partition table says it is.

Is that what you were asking? :unsure:

If you don't specify a type in your mount command (or use auto for your type in fstab), then it will identify the partition type and mount it based on what your partition table says it is.

Is that what you were asking? :unsure:

586617479[/snapback]

So if I put it as:

sudo su
mount -t /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hd
cd /mnt/hd
ls

It will mount it as whatever the partition table says it is (and it should work)?

If it doesnt then what :unsure:

If it doesn't then the error message may tell you what is wrong.

You could have no valid partition at /dev/hdb1/ or you could have already mounted something to your mount point of /mnt/hd or some other problem.

But it really should work.