proving my sister wrong, why Linux can be better

I will agree Linux might be a bigger pain for installation of programs compared to windows, but did you ever think to calculate how much it would cost to purchase software to keep your windows box clean of viruses?

You got, firewall software, antivirus software, antispyware, antispam. That alone is over $300 if you bought it new. If you're more of an advanced user you might want a partition program that costs around $60. Don't forget if you got Norton, McAfee, or any other program you still have to pay yearly subscription fees if you don't know about free alternatives.

And even then the countless hours lost trying to remove a virus or spyware because you used Internet exploiter.

You got, firewall software, antivirus software, antispyware, antispam. That alone is over $300 if you bought it new. If you're more of an advanced user you might want a partition program that costs around $60. Don't forget if you got Norton, McAfee, or any other program you still have to pay yearly subscription fees if you don't know about free alternatives.

586534861[/snapback]

Firewall is built in to XP, AVP has free virussoftware, MS antispyware is free also, recieving spam has nothing to do with the OS you're running. Patches are free.

Most people seem to forget that there are many freeware tools for windows also that are just as good as their open source counterparts. Check snapfiles or something.

Firewall is built in to XP, AVP has free virussoftware, MS antispyware is free also, recieving spam has nothing to do with the OS you're running. Patches are free.

Most people seem to forget that there are many freeware tools for windows also that are just as good as their open source counterparts. Check snapfiles or something.

586534888[/snapback]

Your dead right :)

Edited by child998

Anyone that says one is better than the other, is so dumb and blind i wouldn't be surprised they have knots on there forehead from walking into brickwalls. Everyone has different uses for a computer (if you cant get past this concept/fact then please take a knife to your heart right now. thx) Where one will exceed is learning BOTH OS's only the blind dont wanna move forward and open there horizons, you can't call yourself a techie if you can't get past this ideaology, fanyboyism is a disease, and you know it.

Your dead write :)

586534924[/snapback]

I am not a grammar nazi but....

That's the second time in this thread that you have used "write" (as in: to write with a pen and paper) when you should have used "right" (as in: this is the right way to throw a baseball).

I now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Windows is good.

Linux is good.

It's all good.

If you get over the learning curve in Linu and don't mind things taking just a little longer, it's a fantastic OS. However, Windows is far easier (and has a better UI) and sometimes is actually faster.

Windows is just as secure as Linux, you just don't have stupidly incompetent users ****ing everything up on Linux.

586534888[/snapback]

Yah but you ARE assuming that the person knows something about computers. 70% of people do not. I would know I used to be an MS tech at a call center (well mainly their Mac software but we did do Sasser virus calls and let me tell you people were so dumb it ain't funny)

Why would I go to snapfiles when I could my site which lists most of the stuff. Most people never heard of free spam checking software and would buy something from the big three.

I hate to say it, but by making this post I created a MONSTER! This is getting ridiculous. We have drifted completely off topic, there are insults going evertywhere, and I, the person who started the thread, hardly think its worth it to post a reply.

http://r360.co.nr/pngsupported/glass/windowsvslinux.htm

But I think it is appropriate for a lot of you to read this article, by me. I think it points out a lot of things discussed in this thread. It might bring peace to this, the World War of neowin.

I'd also like to point out that that article is posted on my Linux server, which I set up in about an hour for no money at all, besides the computer itself which I already had sitting around.

I will agree Linux might be a bigger pain for installation of programs compared to windows, but did you ever think to calculate how much it would cost to purchase software to keep your windows box clean of viruses?

And even then the countless hours lost trying to remove a virus or spyware because you used Internet exploiter.

586534861[/snapback]

If people are comparing free programs for linux to programs for windows, why not compare them to the free programs for windows.

There is NO NEED to spend ?300 on all that.

Firewall - sygatePE, antivirus - avg, antispyware - spybotS&D. all FREE.

As for the internet exploiter "joke" i think it shows how childish this is getting!

Anyway who uses ie? lol

I am not a grammar nazi but....

That's the second time in this thread that you have used "write" (as in: to write with a pen and paper) when you should have used "right" (as in: this is the right way to throw a baseball).

I now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion.

586534960[/snapback]

it was driving me crazy!

And a few extra notes: this post is in the Linux section. What are Windows users doing crawling around and criticising Linux?

When you make fun of other programs, think of the thousands of Linux developers who could hear you and give up, lose their job, and end up on the streets begging for money. A slight exaggeration, but still.

And I made one big mistake when naming this post. Could someone please change it to "Proving my sister wrong: why Linux and Windows are equal".

It's like comparing Oranges and Apples. They're both fruits (OSs) but they are different. Some people prefer oranges, others prefer apples - some have no preference.

In my opinion and my experience, I have found:

Linux to be more secure than windows. I didn't get any malware in linux (or maybe I didn't know because I didn't have a spyware/adware/crapware scanner installed in linux :p

Windows is far better as far as gaming goes. That's not a fault of linux. Game developers just make their games work with windows so they get the majority of the market.

Linux makes an faster and more stable server environment - atleast in my experience. It probably depends on how you set it up though.

I have actually had more "fatal" errors in linux than I have had in windows XP. By fatal I mean, something major went wrong and the only way to fix it is to reboot.

Windows is more user friendly than linux. Linux is pretty difficult to get programs you want installed. Eg, various software that requires you to compile from source. Then all of a sudden you have no gcc, then you need kdelibs and then you need this and then you need that. With windows you just double click an .exe and you're good to go.

simeandrews: Half the image links on that site are broken :\

Well, her boyfriend is what my friends refferred to as a "Windows notsy", so I might not be able to win, even if I'm right.

586505468[/snapback]

I am sorry, I might be a little late but I just read this and fell off my chair laughing "nosty" HAHAHA, that is great. Thank you, You made my day 6 days after the post.

I am not a great speller or anything but nosty! Oh jeez. Love it.

Windows is more user friendly than linux. Linux is pretty difficult to get programs you want installed. Eg, various software that requires you to compile from source. Then all of a sudden you have no gcc, then you need kdelibs and then you need this and then you need that. With windows you just double click an .exe and you're good to go.

586535219[/snapback]

That is why linux will never be as popular as windows.

Ok people working in computers who are willing to spend hours typing away and installing stuff might prefer linux, but the average user would be lost in linux.

Thats not a problem, people use whatever they are happy with, but if linux WANTS to start attracting the average users, its got to change.

And what if Linux doesn't want to 'attract more users'? What if Linux is happy with things just the way they are? What if linux developers might prefer to make some things slightly harder to do in Linux (for n00bs) than in Windows?

After all this is what makes Linux more secure - because it forces you to learn how to properly adminster and understand your system. It doesn't allow you to make the same kind of screw ups that a lot of Windows users too often make.

GJ

simeandrews: Half the image links on that site are broken :\

Thanks, I'll try and fix that. When I copied and pasted to my new server it must not have finished.

586535219[/snapback]

maybe back when you tried linux, but now it takes me less steps to install a program on linux than it did in Windows.

Linux

1. Open Synaptic

2. Click Search

3. Type in the Program Name

4. Mark For Installation

5. Click Apply

Windows

1. Open Firefox

2. Browse to Google

3. Type in the program name and HOPE it's homepage comes up (depending on the program)

4. Find the download location on the site

5. Unpack the downloaded installer

6. Browse to where I unpacked it to

7. Double click the installer exe

Now, I could probably remove some of the steps that I've listed for Windows, but the point I was trying to make was to install a program in Linux I use ONE program, and it does it all for me, where as in Windows I use three.

Windows isn't easier, it's more familiar.

Linux

1. Open Synaptic

2. Click Search

3. Type in the Program Name

4. Mark For Installation

5. Click Apply

586535309[/snapback]

i have used linux very few times, that too i was just checking which distro was suited for me. had a quick Q. is synaptic there in every linux distro ??? is it installed by default ??? very helpful (for me atleast), if someone could answer that...

And a few extra notes: this post is in the Linux section. What are Windows users doing crawling around and criticising Linux?

586535207[/snapback]

Just because it is in the Linux section doesn't mean that a Windows user (perhaps someone who has tried, or still does) use Linux cannot come in and post some observations.

The posts may be valid, or they may be proven false, but it seems that honest discussion of opinions and facts are occuring. As long as it stays within the rules, it's all good. :)

586535207[/snapback]

I think you asked for it. Those of us who prefer Windows are going to post in this thread...and not crawling...the thread showed up in RSS feed...hope you know that.

Also think of people preferring Windows as "Representatives" for your sister ;-)

On a lighter note, I would like all "n00bs" to move to either OSX or some Linux so that Windows can get rid of some baggage :shifty:

I've been "visiting" Linux since slackware 5 (I think) and everytime I turned away thinking Windows is better. Now this is totally a subjective arguement so don't flame me please.

Just to recount a recent experience with Linux (Ubuntu...2 months ago from the main download link...don't ask for weird version names :p)

- The installation was pretty normal...no problems there (except for warning for network adapter not present...ignored)

- Got gnome working....kind of put off by 2 taskbars ? one at the bottom and other on top...ok whatever...no big deal

- Just to test multimedia...decided to play some songs...copied one mp3 from a USB flashdrive

- Could not figure out which player to use until I opened something (don't recall what now)

- No MP3 playback ! ha :o started browser for getting help... no network connection !

- Found something equivalent to Device Manager that showed a really mixed up list of devices...it was so verbose that I did not even bother to read..may be my bad here but heck :rolleyes:

- some utility to check active network connection...only localhost showing up there!

- finally had a thought and checked NIC inside my PC...a-ha loose hardware...fixed that...upon boot I had no idea if Ubuntu found it or not...but the active network connection showed it....HUrraah...

- Back to No sound problem

- Ubuntu FAQ/Forums list out steps to get mp3 and other decoders working using GUI version of apt-get

- Shutdown...back to windows.

So I might have missed a few steps here & there but this is how essentially I've been "exploring" Linux till now. Just out of curiosity & interest :D

What are my takes on it ?

- its not difficult to get everything working,...it is different but not rocket science

- default Linux (Ubuntu) desktop (read Gnome) still looks very ugly...I can't explain why...but I don't want to do any sort of reading on it. It might be really bad rendering of fonts (which I tried changing to no effect)....Its not the theme or colors...it just ugly :D I can't explain it!

- Gnome though generally good...needs to get rid of two taskbars (1 of them is a dock ?)...its..weird

- This is my favorite rant for Linux...Most people argue that there are a wide variety of "choices" and lot of softwares that come with Linux for "Free". In my opinion that is exactly a BAD idea for anybody to start using it. Choose one program and stick to it ! :p how difficult is that. The "advanced" users can get whatever they want!

The names for the programs...I agree Windows apps are no better...but Linux has really weird names...I haven't used them much to list them now...but I can tell it when I see one.

Windows Media Player might be a crappy name...but at least I can tell what it does !

ALL this is "IMHO" so please keep your replies decent :ninja: :laugh:

Why Windows is better then linux:

Here is why Windows is better than Linux. (1) Installing programs is easy with windows because there is a standard. Try installing VLC and you'll see what I mean. (2) Anytime you try to install or change something on your own computer you have to type a password. And god forbid you run the program in root, then you get every warning that exists. (3) Installing anything good in Linux requires an entire weekend ending up in learning how to reinvent the wheel. (4) To truly use any Linux distribution your going to have to either take classes in how Linux works or spend time reading a lot of books and forums.

With the newer distros today your really don't have to read anything. If you use ubuntu read teh ubuntu guide which is verysimple and you'll be ready in no time at all.

why linux is better than windows:

Almost every useful application you would ever want to run on Linux is free.

( But all there software is crap, so who gives a **** if its free ) If you want free software for windows, there is loads, and its good a lot of it.

So in short, Windows is far better in most ways. and YES it costs more, but I would pay more for something that is better and that works, then spend less on crap. :laugh:

I never had to read up on how to use windows, I just could see what to do. linux looks like it was made by a 5 year old on speed. :yes:

586533639[/snapback]

i have used linux very few times, that too i was just checking which distro was suited for me. had a quick Q. is synaptic there in every linux distro ??? is it installed by default ??? very helpful (for me atleast), if someone could answer that...

586535330[/snapback]

Synaptic is a GUI frontend for apt-get, which is present (AFAIK) in all Debian based distro's.