Just Installed Linux

hey people. So i jus installed linux, after so many try's, i got this one working and i have some questions.

1: Where can i get some Linux Icons? High Quality ones :)

2: Is there any Internet Explorer for Linux?

3: Where can i get KDE3?

and now, i have a lil problem here...

1st, no flsh plug-ins work, but the directory where they tell me to put the 2 flash files doesn't exist... They tell me i need Netscape, but i downloaded netscape and setup is not working

2nd, when i try to install mozilla, it doesen't let me install it, they tell me that it cannot install in that directory because i dont have permission... wtf?!

and another thing, where can i get a Spider Solitaire for linux? one that is like the windows one...

Thank You....

1) dunno

2) no, IE is only for mac and windows

3) www.kde.org there are instructions for whichever distro you use, and there may be some help on the homepage of the distro that you use as well..

which distro...

I'm guessing Mandrake..

but which one if I get it wrong..

1. http://www.kde-look.org/

2. Konquer is the closest thing but I would install mozilla though.

3. http://www.kde.org/ << have to install additionally

etc... /usr/local/mozilla/plugins << after you get mozilla installed

go to consule, terminal.. whatever its called

(su = super-user = root)

type password

./mozilla-installer

able to install it then

Ok pppl, I got Mandrake 8.2... and no it onlt haves Kongueror and Mozilla 0.9 and i want to install the 1.0...

how do i log on as root? cuz i dont get it, when i boot up, i get no options...?!

and thx for KDE guys, neone knows notting about Spider Solitaire?

-To get a sort of 'temporary root':

open a console window and typ

su root

then it will ask for your root password.

To stop being root, type in same console window:

exit

-To launch a kde program as root:

open a console window and type

kdesu 'name of the program' (without the quoutes)

ex: kdesu konqueror

Mandrake has an auto login feature, so you need to log-out to login as root, just type rootas the username, ignore the fact theres no pic for it. If you wana use root permitions inside your own acount, which is safer ;) then you can use the 'su' command inside the console. Then the console with have root permitions. To instal Mozzy...

cd /home/yourname/mozila [probbaly, if not where ever your extracted mozilla folder is]

su

./mozilla-installer

good luck..

Originally posted by Something

Mandrake has an auto login feature, so you need to log-out to login as root, just type rootas the username, ignore the fact theres no pic for it. If you wana use root permitions inside your own acount, which is safer ;) then you can use the 'su' command inside the console. Then the console with have root permitions. To instal Mozzy...

cd /home/yourname/mozila [probbaly, if not where ever your extracted mozilla folder is]

su

./mozilla-installer

good luck..

it tells me, that the file does not exist

Open up the Mandrake package manager and install the rpm for mozilla. Just do a search for the mozilla package and it should be on one of your cds.

You did download all three cd's, right?

Open a "terminal" (e.g. kde-menu/run: "xterm" and become root (enter "su"). Execute "MandrakeUpdate". I think you can have to add a mirror, but I am not shure. This program should list all available updates like KDE3 and Mozilla 1.0. It is not bulletproof, but should work.

Perhaps I am mixing something up, but I think thats should all work.

chris

Originally posted by azazel-

Open up the Mandrake package manager and install the rpm for mozilla. Just do a search for the mozilla package and it should be on one of your cds.

You did download all three cd's, right?

yeah, i got the 3cd

now i got another problem, when u try to put the flash files into the mozilla's plug-in directory i get accesse denied... again...

The mandrake package manager will download packs off the net as well. Do a search for "Mandrake 1.0" and it *should* come back with results off whatever website he configures for updates.

Originally posted by Spacce

maybe he wants the newest mozilla

here's visual aid!

linux.jpg

nice pic, but i allready installed it, i need to log on as root but how>?

i got a question, if i log out, does the downloads stop? cuz i'm downloading KDE3 and it's in lot of files :p

i thought it was a rule of thumb that you never physically log in as root. that you are just supposed to use superuser. is this correct?

Originally posted by Impulfusion

how?

Do you understand what root is?

root="Administrator" on 2k/XP

You log in as root. Typically you install everything as the root user. When you start up, you should have to log in as someone. Either that, or open up a "console window" (like a dos prompt) and type "su root"

It will then ask you for a password. Enter whatever password you defined for the root password during install.

See what happens when people rely on the gui for everything? :right:

to LOG on as root, click on the K

and log out

it should have a login screen, you type username: root password: your password..

but you rarely need to do that.

and I wouldn't do that above actually

usually if you need to install something as "root" in kde or something mandrake will prompt you for the password

from the console if you need to run something from there

check steps 3 and 4 of the pic

Originally posted by BroChaos

i thought it was a rule of thumb that you never physically log in as root. that you are just supposed to use superuser. is this correct?

superuser = root :)