Which Mac Would U Buy?!

Steve

OK, so i Jus Started working Full time, and have been waiting until this day, to get a Mac! I had my iBook 500 for about a month, before "having to" Sell it! But since then, i miss OS X, and all the other nicities!

@ this point, i have Just a PC, Which is quite dull and boring, and hasn't had an upgrade in @ least a yr!

K7 classic 800 @ 900MHz

768MB SDRAM @ 100MHz

GF3

30 Gb HDD ... yada! ...

I'm kinda Confused, or in a sense "Spoilt for Choice" ...as i Could really save for any of the systems ... But i'm not sure what to go for?! i could get my old iBook back, cheaply, Prolly @ about 400 - 500 (?) .. But it was the Basic Entry Ice Book

G3 500Mhz

CD-ROM

10 Gb Hard Drive

12" Screen

Does anyone have any "recommendations" ... see i am not sure if i want to replace my Desktop PC, with an iMac, eMac or PowerMac, or look to extra Mobility with an iBook or TiBook!

NeYo

BroChaos

if you can, get a TiBook. i really don't think anything can touch them.

atomoverride

Macs suck....too slow, overpriced, pc is just a better machine. but hey thats my view on it. and I am intitled to it.

the only thing I seen from apple that is cool is that ipod. which soon will be able to use on a pc! ha ha.

BroChaos
Originally posted by atomoverride

Macs suck....too slow, overpriced, pc is just a better machine. but hey thats my view on it. and I am intitled to it.

the only thing I seen from apple that is cool is that ipod. which soon will be able to use on a pc! ha ha.

right :right:

and he asked for your opinion where?

stick to the topid of the thread please.

macster

I would recommend you wait until after Macworld before making a purchase.

I think the recently updated iBook which was bumped up to 700Mhz Sahara G3 would be great.

I even heard that some people had sucessfully overclocked it up to 800Mhz.

I also heard they are putting some sort of feature in 10.2 that is something like Speedstep that clocks your CPU down when you want to save battery time

Dazzla

Guess what, there's a rule on every page warning you not to cite hateful posts so don't bother making an appearance just to troll and bring down a thread. Why do you even bother reading the mac forum if you hate macs?

You been warned once.

As for the topic on hand, what sort of price range are you looking at? You can get a edu powermac for 1250, and if you wait until the new ones it will be even better specced. Unless you're earning mega bucks, you won't be able to afford a TiBook. Out of iMac and eMac? Well, if the LCD screen isn't that important to you, save the money and use it on an iPod.

Cuzzo

HEY!

Try to save as much as you possibly can.

Get a G4 and a PowerBook G4!

I dont know how much money you make or where you work but,i would get these 2.

:)

Cuzzo...

Wickedkitten

whatever you do, do not buy it from the apple store if you do I will hunt you down and kick you repeatedly.

Go get a couple of issues of macformat and macuser and check the reseller ads in the back. You will end up saving a ****load.

Dazzla
Originally posted by Wickedkitten

whatever you do, do not buy it from the apple store if you do I will hunt you down and kick you repeatedly.

Go get a couple of issues of macformat and macuser and check the reseller ads in the back. You will end up saving a ****load.

Agreed, the company I bought my Mac from were flawless:

http://cwonline.co.uk/

There was no problem with any of the student ID issues and the staff on the other end of the phone actually sound like they give a damn :p

Tim Dorr

well, are we ordering in the UK or US? I have an educational discount applicable to me and an Apple Store at my school (aka. no shipping charges apply :D ), so would it be cheaper for me to look elsewhere?

Wickedkitten
Originally posted by timdorr

well, are we ordering in the UK or US? I have an educational discount applicable to me and an Apple Store at my school (aka. no shipping charges apply :D ), so would it be cheaper for me to look elsewhere?

yes the same applies to you as well. Plus most resellers will still give you an educational discount
Dazzla
Originally posted by timdorr

Don't know about the US, but in the UK, most official Apple resellers like the one I mentioned, offer educational discount.

I just emailed them a scan of my NUS card and that was it, they rang me, confirmed I was applicable for the edu discount and shipped it on it's way.

Tim Dorr

yes the same applies to you as well. Plus most resellers will still give you an educational discount

well, the best prices I'm finding are like $5 below normal price (i'm looking at an iMac g4 800 here) and I would have to include shipping which would cost me like $40 or so...so, i'm not seeing the gain here :D

alzzda

I dont get how this is hateful? its just someones view on the subject, maybe misplaced but not hateful.

oh well I say try to find someone that works for apple and see if you can get a discount. A buddy of mine works there and I totaly got a deal on a the new imac. but he quit soon after so no add ons from him. someone here has to have a friend over there.

Dazzla
Originally posted by alzzda

I dont get how this is hateful? its just someones view on the subject, maybe misplaced but not hateful.

oh well I say try to find someone that works for apple and see if you can get a discount. A buddy of mine works there and I totaly got a deal on a the new imac. but he quit soon after so no add ons from him. someone here has to have a friend over there.

What's with my avatar and my name? I've got a stalker?

Maximus

i want a Mac but can't afford one.

BroChaos
Originally posted by Dazzla

haha, i knew something looked funky about that. i want a stalker :p

alzzda

Watch out behind you ITS ME with a mouse pad.....LOL

I liked your avatar but I moded it...and I have always had this name...its my handle can you dig it. After reading one of your posts I decided to join. You seem to be the man around here. Didnt mean to offened.

Timan

its some 12yr old lamer mad cause he was banned :p

Tim Dorr
Originally posted by Dazzla

holy crap! I thought that was you! :D

unspec

Well it would be nice to know what kind of Mac you are looking for (laptop or desktop) and what you will be using it for.

Your budget would also be helpful. :D

Lacking all of that, I'd say wait a week for MW to end and if you can manage to save, nice things may be happening around August/September.....

....but that's just boring. What can you do now?

Well https://shaye.co.uk/ has some nice deals.

Fancy a Quicksilver 733MHz 128MB/40GB/CDRW/56k/NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 32 MB/K & M?

All for the low low price of ?940! Now to make this an uber OS X 10.2 machine a few additions are needed.

1GB RAM from Crucial ?174 (?97x2 -?20 coupon)

"SuperDrive" AKA Pioneer DVR-104 from Dabs ?264

And there you go! A beast of a machine that 10.2 will fly on, and let you have all the fun burning DVD's:Dtc :D

All for a bit under ?1400!

Fantastic value IMO.

--

unspec

Impulfusion

agreed :) lol

ok yeah, so if u want to buy a laptop mac, the TiBook should be good, but watch out for the price, dont go at the biggest place, find a lil store and u will get the best price for it... cuz we all know macs cost too much for what they give...:mad:

Tim Dorr
Originally posted by Timan

its some 12yr old lamer mad cause he was banned :p

yep, same dude. he can come back in 2 days....I just hope he doesn't have to be put away perminently.... :/